Help
Help

Fibre broadband
Sky Fibre superfast and superunlimited connections for those who demand more from their broadband.
Contributor
McGrath1982
Accepted Solution

CAN'T DOWNLOAD USING P2P ON SKY NOMORE??????

[ Edited ]

Moved over from BT Infinity last month because of the throttling of P2P and restictions they had on the BT Network at peck times and weekends. So came over 2Sky as they don't have any what I know of and I've just come off the phone with Sky and I was told that as of now Sky have blocked P2P (like torrentz etc.....) as I'm getting good speeds of DL74.74 and UL16.30. But when I've been using P2P I don't get anymore than 100-600kbs when 3day's ago I was downloading at 8.8MB/s from utorrent.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
speedyrite

Re: CAN'T DOWNLOAD USING P2P ON SKY NOMORE??????

[ Edited ]

McGrath1982 wrote:

Moved over from BT Infinity last month because of the throttling of P2P and restictions they had on the BT Network at peck times and weekends. So came over 2Sky as they don't have any what I know of and I've just come off the phone with Sky and I was told that as of now Sky have blocked P2P (like torrentz etc.....) as I'm getting good speeds of DL74.74 and UL16.30. But when I've been using P2P I don't get anymore than 100-600kbs when 3day's ago I was downloading at 8.8MB/s from utorrent.

Not actually blocked then if you are still able to download?!? :smileywink:

Anyway could it simply be that the server or peer that you are downloading from is uploading slower than expected?

"All opinions are my own, other advice may be available and may differ from mine.
I do not work for Sky, I'm just a customer like you!
If my advice has helped you, say thanks by clicking on thumbs up"
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
McGrath1982

[ Edited ]

I have tried 10 or 20 films in the last 2hrs and it's been the same for a couple of day's now. It was fine before then my setup has never changed in some 18months on my iMac 6-8.8MB/s fast as lol. But something is going on with Sky throttling P2P only 100-500kbs and now 65kbs this is why I came 2Sky in the first place as I had enough of BT throttling speeds at night and weekends but this has been 24/7 for me anyway since the 23rd.

Super User
speedyrite

[ Edited ]

McGrath1982 wrote:

I have tried 10 or 20 films in the last 2hrs and it's been the same for a couple of day's now. It was fine before then my setup has never changed in some 18months on my iMac 6-8.8MB/s fast as lol. But something is going on with Sky throttling P2P only 100-500kbs and now 65kbs this is why I came 2Sky in the first place as I had enough of BT throttling speeds at night and weekends but this has been 24/7 for me anyway since the 23rd.

Interesting.

My understanding is that P2P traffic is not blocked, slowed down or prioritised at all. That's confirmed by Sky's published Traffic Management Policy:

http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/broadband/network-management-policy/

Not aware that anything has changed.

Are all these throttled downloads coming from different sources? (I assume your torrent management software can tell you this? I wouldn't know as I don't use P2P myself).

"All opinions are my own, other advice may be available and may differ from mine.
Contributor
McGrath1982

That's what I told the person on the phone about Sky not throttling as that's why I moved over from BT last month the person put me on hold for 10mins spoke 2the Fibre Team came back on and told me this new info. Just 2point out doing updates and downloading from iTunes is fine fast also went on thinkbroadband and did the 1GB file test download and downloaded it in 2-3mins so looking good it's just on P2P yeah I'm not picking the same source all the time. I've got good seeds 318 peers 44 just don't know what is going on this is not what I was expecting coming from BT

Contributor
toekneem

McGrath1982 wrote:

That's what I told the person on the phone about Sky not throttling as that's why I moved over from BT last month the person put me on hold for 10mins spoke 2the Fibre Team came back on and told me this new info. Just 2point out doing updates and downloading from iTunes is fine fast also went on thinkbroadband and did the 1GB file test download and downloaded it in 2-3mins so looking good it's just on P2P yeah I'm not picking the same source all the time. I've got good seeds 318 peers 44 just don't know what is going on this is not what I was expecting coming from BT

Hi Mcgrath1982,

have you tried the Glasnost test:

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super User
speedyrite

[ Edited ]

Try the Glasnost test  as suggested by toekneem and post your results.

Contributor
McGrath1982

Should it be taking 498sec 2complete???? then how do I post the results.

Contributor
McGrath1982

Glasnost: Test if your ISP is shaping your traffic

Results for your host (027ad9c5.bb.sky.com - 2.122.217.***):
Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads. 
However, some of the measurements were affected by noise, which limits Glasnost ability to detect rate limiting.

Details:

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 12193 Kbps while uploads using BitTorrent achieved up to 16632 Kbps.

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits uploads on port 6881 or 53735. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 12193 Kbps while uploads on port 53735 achieved up to 16660 Kbps.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.

Super User
speedyrite

[ Edited ]

It says it takes about 8 mins to complete so 498 seconds sounds about right. Does it report anything about your Bittorrent downloads?

Contributor
McGrath1982

I posted the results I didn't make anything of it lol

Contributor
McGrath1982

Glasnost: Test if your ISP is shaping your traffic

Detailed test results giving the throughput per flow Glasnost runs:
All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 6881Transfer Direction Bandwidth BitTorrent flow Bandwidth control flow

Download #138248 Kbps38244 Kbps
Download #235884 Kbps35706 Kbps
Download #338220 Kbps38239 Kbps

Upload #110223 Kbps10730 Kbps
Upload #212298 Kbps11039 Kbps
Upload #310211 Kbps10747 Kbps

All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 49747Transfer Direction Bandwidth BitTorrent flow Bandwidth control flow

Download #138248 Kbps38250 Kbps
Download #238244 Kbps38235 Kbps
Download #333462 Kbps25193 Kbps

Upload #110792 Kbps10533 Kbps
Upload #216731 Kbps10857 Kbps
Upload #311045 Kbps10972 Kbps

BitTorrent transfers using port 6881 and port 49747Transfer Direction Bandwidth Port 6881 Bandwidth Port 49747

Download #138248 Kbps38248 Kbps
Download #235884 Kbps38244 Kbps
Download #338220 Kbps33462 Kbps

Upload #110223 Kbps10792 Kbps
Upload #212298 Kbps16731 Kbps
Upload #310211 Kbps11045 Kbps

Control flow transfers using port 6881 and port 49747Transfer Direction Bandwidth Port 6881 Bandwidth Port 49747

Download #138244 Kbps38250 Kbps
Download #235706 Kbps38235 Kbps
Download #338239 Kbps25193 Kbps

Upload #110730 Kbps10533 Kbps
Upload #211039 Kbps10857 Kbps
Upload #310747 Kbps10972 Kbps

Super User
speedyrite

I may be interpreting the results wrongly but they don't seem to indicate that there is any throttling going on.

Maybe a Sky Knowledge Advisor will comment about the info you were given that traffic management policy re P2P has changed? I'd be surprised if they did this without changiing the published policy but I suppose you never know! :smileywink:

Contributor
toekneem

[ Edited ]

speedyrite wrote:

I may be interpreting the results wrongly but they don't seem to indicate that there is any throttling going on.

Maybe a Sky Knowledge Advisor will comment about the info you were given that traffic management policy re P2P has changed? I'd be surprised if they did this without changiing the published policy but I suppose you never know! :smileywink:

I have to concur. it certainly appears that there is no throttling.

With BT it definitely told you if you were throttled.

One of the problems with p2p is there are too many variables which affect the speed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor
McGrath1982

I still don't get it this from what you guy's can see from the results. I still say something has happend somewhere from going all ok from day 1 with Sky last month 24/7 fast downloads and now from the 23rd can't get over 1Mb/s, and now getting around 100-500kbs on any file I try 2download film/music/software etc...... It's all running slow I've not changed anything at all from way back when I got this 2011 21.5" iMac last yr and installed the software that I use 2download with and also when with BT. I will just see how things go over the next couple of day's. But thanks for the help anyway ppl