Help
Help

Broadband Speed
Contributor
LaggyBeezer

Re: Slow, every night after 7pm

Just for information, here's the latest plot from last night. Lag started later than normal - gone 8pm instead of at 4pm, but the resulting lag was just as severe.

Interestingly, I found if you leave the web browser open on the statistics window on Sky DLink router, it causes it to lag solid after a while (at least I hope that was the cause!!).

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor (Bronze)
Jayhab

@ Coastline:

If left as it is - the issue is definately going to get worse (not necessarily for us guys already affected!) and spread to areas of the country not yet reporting issues. If you take a look at the number of us who have managed to report a fault on here, which is not really that many - if you then even multiplied that by 100, for an estimate of the number of people who have contacted Sky by phone but do not post on here - we get what? - maybe 1000 customers?

So 1000 customers, gets them acknowledging a fault and pledging to fix it. Now imagine they do nothing or take their time fixing it.... It took 8 days from me registering the fault to them acknowledging it, using this forum and the assistance of everyone else on here providing stats, tracerts and other info etc which to me isn't too bad - hey, getting a major corporation to admit to a fault on their own website is a pretty big thing! Anyway, i'm getting off point! - if they take their time fixing it, the number of new 'subscribers' and Anytime+ users will keep growing - the fault will then start to show up in other areas, which will trigger more calls to Sky and make more customers unhappy - which results in bad press which Sky definately will not want especially with BT now pushing Infinty - this will be something that Sky will want clearing up really fast so as to 'n#p it in the bud' and then spin it a little to show that they can fix problems quickly / provide excellent customer care etc.

I agree that disabling Anytime+ would most probably resolve the issue, however they are not going to want to admit that their lovely new functionality that they are offering free of charge, is actually to blame for really screwing up customer's connections!  If disabling Anytime+ would be too much for them to do, then surely throttling that traffic would be a better option - customers will still be able to use it - they'll just have to wait a few minutes more before they can start watching a downloading programme!

For the time being, i'm remaining optimistic - 8 days isn't too bad in my opinion from reporting to acknowledgement - I know others have suffered longer and not been able to speak to the right departments to get it recognised - I guess Sky should revise the training for Tier1 to recognise that sometimes there really is a problem that isn't the customer's fault!

At least we still have an internet connection - I know how really bad it is when there's a total outage!!

Chin up peeps - it is the weekend after all!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Contributor
Coastline

LaggyBeezer wrote:

Interestingly, I found if you leave the web browser open on the statistics window on Sky DLink router, it causes it to lag solid after a while (at least I hope that was the cause!!).

I have found a lot of router web servers have memory leaks and if you query the stats for long enough it hangs the web server or even the whole router.

Contributor
Coastline

Hope you're right Jayhab!

Occasional Visitor
Robin+Jewsbury

I have the same problem  In fact in the last week the speed has slowed down on specific connections even more, so for a specific download I will get only 3kbits/sec out of a connection after 7pm but during the day I get 4Mbits.  This is unacceptable, in fact worse than connection speeds I was getting 10 years ago from a dialup modem.

I am on Broadband Connect and having just rung Sky support I am told it's BT who are penalising me because I am doing large downloads. This is probably true;  I may well have gone over 40G limit, but I am prepared to pay more for my connection if I get a service.  Currently I get no usable service in the evenings.

I've done some investigation and discovered Virgin Media offer an unlimited broadband connection which is £24.5 per month instead of the £18 per month AND I have to pay £76 to initiate the service, but I am going to do it because I end up with a service which works and not one that does not work.  Sky you are losing me as a customer,  I currently spend £90 per month with you... this is about to end because you cannot provide a working broadband service to me.

So I encorage anyone else with this problem to tell Sky they're moving to a supplier that provides a service.

Frequent Visitor
And+B

NOW the speeds/pings are slow at the weekends as well !!!

We are not amused, as we only signed into our broadband and phone contract before Christmas.

Mold(North Wales) exchange

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2   129 ms   129 ms   135 ms  dr4.hobir.isp.sky.com [89.200.128.41]
  3   148 ms   152 ms   154 ms  vl194.ar8.hobir.isp.sky.com [89.200.132.122]
  4   137 ms   134 ms   130 ms  212.58.238.189
  5   138 ms   134 ms   135 ms  212.58.238.153
  6   116 ms   118 ms   120 ms  virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]

Trace complete.

Up until now, it was only slow in the week (I think, I work shifts, so was working last weekend).

ALSO, still waiting for phone call tech. departments regarding the faults. I will phone on Monday, and try to remain calm as I give them a piece of my mind!!

Andy

Contributor
xaudiox

[ Edited ]

This problem is getting much worse, before it was from 7 - 11 pm but now it starts around 5pm

5.30pm Wrexham (Sky Unlimited LLU)

Tracing route to gameserver.killercreation.co.uk [81.19.219.113]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    94 ms    99 ms    99 ms  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  2   119 ms   120 ms   123 ms  dr1.hobir.isp.sky.com [89.200.128.26]
  3   117 ms   118 ms   120 ms  vl191.ar8.hobir.isp.sky.com [89.200.133.102]
  4   124 ms   121 ms   117 ms  linx-gw0.enta.net [195.66.224.151]
  5   118 ms   113 ms   112 ms  te5-1.telehouse-east2.core.enta.net [87.127.236.98]
  6   109 ms   111 ms   110 ms  te4-1.telehouse-north0.core.enta.net [87.127.236.38]
  7   124 ms   121 ms   124 ms  Transit-enta.KillerCreation.co.uk [62.249.255.186]
  8   118 ms   115 ms   114 ms  rt-2-cent.killercreation.co.uk [217.146.94.2]
  9   119 ms   121 ms   120 ms  gameserver.killercreation.co.uk [81.19.219.113]

Trace complete.

Frequent Contributor
welshviking

[ Edited ]

17.46PM CONNAHS QUAY SKY UNLIMITED

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  myrouter.home [192.168.0.1]
  2    22 ms    21 ms    22 ms  5ad9a5be.bb.sky.com [90.217.165.190]
  3    89 ms    94 ms    90 ms  10.245.137.113
  4   101 ms   101 ms   100 ms  te0-4-0-0.er11.thlon.ov.easynet.net [89.200.131
49]
  5    96 ms    94 ms    94 ms  212.58.238.189
  6   106 ms   110 ms   107 ms  212.58.238.129
  7   111 ms   107 ms   103 ms  virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]

Trace complete.

Frequent Visitor
totaleclips

got the same problem here in shotton,just got off the phone with sky,after he investigated my problem he called me back and told me that sky have over sold in the north Wales area,  the exchange can't cope with all the traffic and that sky are going to upgrade the hardware in the exchange,but it is going to take 5-7 weeks :smileysad: 

RyanGiggs11

hi, i am a sky unlimited user and i too am experiencing a huge decrease in connection speed during ''peak times'' only in the last 2-3 weeks has it dropped...

a friend of mine said this is due to a fault somewhere causing the north wales/north west area to have poor connection speeds...

and sky know this fault and are going to solve the issue...with no ETA.

can anybody confirm or deny this?

it would really save me the hasssel of a phone call...

Frequent Contributor
welshviking

RyanGiggs11

thank you for the link, it was everything i needed to know...and I live in one of the ''affected areas''...

atleast i can rest easy with the knowledge sky is aware and are going to resolve the issue, because before all this it was a great service provider even during peak times

Frequent Visitor
And+B

All,

if you have a fault, it needs to be reported. The more faults recorded for the same reason to Sky, the more of a chance we have of having a speedy fix.

Do not rely on others to phone up, get a fault number from Sky.

Andy

Contributor
CoderSys

POOR POOR POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR  Customer service.  

Almost no Broadand EVERY evening from 7pm until 12pm speeds of less than 1MB with Ping upto 2200 once, then returns back to 10-11MB with ping 40-50 after 12pm.

3 Weeks of this rubbish and 7 phone calls later, just to be told Sky have a problem with the local servers and are trying to fix it.  No ETA on fix.

SKY ====  POOOR SERVICE ALL AROUND.   I was That Frog in your Stupid advert that didn`t want to change.  I changed from BT to SKY, and OMG wish to hell I hadn`t.

SKY == POOR CUSTOMER SERVIVE
SKY == POOR PRODUCT
SKY == POOR QUALITY

BT == POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE
BT == GREAT PRODUCT
BT == GOOD QUALITY

Shame on you sky.

Contributor
tyler03

just read post 144 and can't believe its going to take 5-7 weeks to fix, sky emailed me yesterday and said no time frame for the fix. If they had believed us all in december when the problems started we might be near to a fix by now instead of trying to connect to the internet for three hours just to leave a post on this forum.