Help
Help

Broadband Speed
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: Slow, every night after 7pm

Hi CrazyAirborne, it sounds as if you are on the Sky Broadband Connect package which I'm afraid is traffic managed as this package uses the BT Network and Equipment at your exchange. Unfortunately we cannot lift this restriction from your line however it will be lifted naturally provided your usage drops back within acceptable levels.

Click here to learn more about the Sky Broadband Connect Traffic Management policy.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Contributor
gw0lgn

Im on broadband unlimited with a 20mb sync, massive slow downs in the evening and stupidly long ping times. This speed test result is typically what im getting in the evening, during the day I have normal ping times and normal through put

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1097297044.png

I notice on here and other forums an increase in these problems from folks on broadband unlimited and not a word from Sky re the causes or any acknowledgement that a problem even exists. I have spoken to support on the telephone on numerous occasions and got nowhere.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
lozmart

Im getting the same also, unfortunatly for me i changed over to sky only a few months ago, and most nights im only getting half a mb. with a houseful of teenagers my life is now a living hell. Has sky let anyone out of the contract so they can move to a better provider???

Occasional Visitor
lozmart

Update to my previous post. I spoke to a very nice lady at customer services and thier allowing me out of my contract at no extra charge and sending me my mac code. Yipppeeeee

Contributor
xaudiox

I am having the exact same issue, started happening about 2 weeks ago, speed is halved and ping goes from 50ms to 300ms.

Always between 7 - 11 pm

I am on the (not so) Unlimited package (sky LLU)

only been with sky 3 months , great way to treat new customers .

Frequent Visitor
TonysPC

I'm also getting throughput speeds that are well short of my synch speed (which is 19Mbps)

This does seem to have started happening in the last 2 weeks or so.

However, I'm not complaining. my evening speeds are still hugely better than with my previous ISP.

Contributor
gw0lgn

I could put up with reduced throughput during peak times but the increased latency causes a gamers a real problem.

Regular Visitor
Ninja-Welshman

^ THIS ^

I dont even bother switching my PS3 on after 5pm. Ping so bad it makes Black Ops impossible to play.

I'm in Wrexham btw.

Visitor
misslea

[ Edited ]

Although we shouldnt "have to" oput up with much slower speeds on umlimited, i agree with gw0lgn it is the ping that is the problem, i have spoke to sky several times now and im still waiting for tier 2 to call me back to try and sort this out, pretty annoying for me not being able to play a game of a night but very annoying that my daughters cant make use of their xbox live to play with their friends as that was my main christmas present to them!

Occasional Visitor
Geoff+East

If Sky is capping my rate for excessive use, Why does it not inform me why. ?

Angry+From+Kent

I can't believe so many of us are having the same problem and sky choose to ignore it!!!!  I am fed up calling sky, un screwing the face plate of my BT socket, changing filters, cables and routers to only be told there's nothing wrong.  It's not my imagination and independent test sites show lack of speed!!!!!  Sky you are a joke and if I could find a customer service option on your ridiculous automated call centre system that alowed me to cancel I would use it within a heart beat!!!!!!!

Contributor
xaudiox

I am in Wrexham and have just done a Traceroute to see wich hop is adding this additional delay and the 1st hop is adding 300ms - dr2.hobir.isp.sky.com (89.200.128.30)

So people, when sky say there is nothing wrong do not accept it as it seems to me like we are being "throttled"

I am on Sky broadband Unlimited (sky LLU)

Sky, can we have some answers ?  If its only Temporary or weve done something wrong then just say so.

Occasional Visitor
Gibbo300666

Yep, we are another one suffering slow speeds, particularly during the evening. Got an Internet ready HD TV for Christmas on which you can download films and programs like i-player, youtube etc.....

Managed to watch a couple of films during the day of the Christmas holidays, we were impressed, now any film we try enters into a 'buffering' state every 30 seconds or so, 'buffers' for about 60 seconds, plays for about 30 seconds, then 'buffers' again and so the cycle continues.

We are giving up, come with us, lets all go back to BT.

Contributor
tyler03

Hi I have been having the same problem every night from 7pm  my broadband is useless i,m a unlimited customer and can't even get a game of black ops on xbox live at night. 3 calls to sky and all they say is my broadband is fine after the normal checks , it just seems strange that its 7pm every night that my broadband dies, it looks like i'll have to  look at moving to bt, its just a shame because the broadband and phone deal is good value with sky (if they could sort out the broadband).

Occasional Visitor
gg61266

I get slow speeds all the time router read 7.8Mbs but i get downloads at only 10Kbs £17 a month for third rate service considering new users ar getting it free is diabolical