Help
Help

Broadband Setup, Connection & WiFi
Community Coordinator
Robert

Troubleshooting Wireless Connection Issues

[ Edited ]

Here are some tips for ensuring you get the best possible wireless connection from your Sky Broadband Router.

1. Connecting a device to the Wireless Router for the first time.

We have some great videos and guides that show you how to connect a PC or MAC to the wireless router, we even have some step by step guides for connecting popular Games Consoles and Apple Mobile Devices to the wireless router on the Sky Help Centre.

2. Location & Positioning of the Router.

It is important to ensure that you get the best possible coverage from your Wireless signal to ensure that your router is positioned properly and away from anything that may cause interference or affect the signal.

Ideally to get the best possible connection from your line, the router needs to be connected to the Master telephone socket, this is the socket where the telephone line comes in to your house from outside.

Try to avoid placing your router near things that will interfere and affect the wireless signal.

Examples of this include:

• Christmas Tree's or any decorations that contain foil such as tinsel as this deflects the wireless signal.
  • Other wireless equipment, certain cordless phones (not all) may operate on a similar frequency to the router.
  • Hidden behind objects or down in a corner on the floor.
  • Near any objects containing water such as a fish tank, water tank or boiler. Wireless signals cannot pass through water.

Do try to place the router in an open space such as a shelf, desk or unit that is sturdy.

We've provided a stand for setting your Sky Wireless Router in an upright position. This will improve ventilation around the router, which is aimed at making it more reliable and can help improve signal coverage. If you prefer to lay the router down flat, please ensure you place it on a hard surface so that air can ventilate around it.

3. Adjusting the Wireless Signal.

Wireless routers are very common now with every Major ISP supporting them, you'll probably find a quick scan on your PC will pick up multiple wireless networks in range. Some of these being your neighbours wireless routers.

There can be cases where too many wireless routers being picked up can affect your wireless connection as there is too much interference, or simply the wireless signal is operating on a frequency that doesn't work well within your home and can't easily pass through walls or other objects.

What we can do is adjust the Wireless Channel that your signal broadcasts on. This moves the signal to a different frequency and helps to clear some of the issues mentioned above.

To adjust the wireless channel number follow the steps below preferably using a PC or Laptop connected to your router using the yellow Ethernet cable.

• Open a new browser window and visit http://192.168.0.1
  • When prompted enter the username: admin  and password: sky (in lowercase).
  • If you have a white router select Wireless Settings from the left hand menu.
  • If you have a Black or Charcoal router then it's the Setup tab in the black navigation bar you need to select.
  • This will bring you to the Wireless Settings page where we can adjust the wireless signal.
  • You'll see the Wireless Channel option with a dropdown menu, simply change this option to either 1, 6 or 11.
  • Once you've changed the wireless channel number, scroll down and click the Apply button to save the settings.

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the recommended wireless channels we advise to try first as these are separate channels with no overlap in frequency ranges. You may find other channel numbers work better for you.

You may need to try this process a few times to find a channel that works best for you, however a good way to test this is try connecting using the wireless device in another room after applying the change.

4. Local Access Only / No Internet Connection when connected to your Wireless Router?

This can be caused by the drivers for your wireless adapter or wireless card in your PC or Laptop needing updated. We recommend in the first instance to run Windows Update by following the steps below.

Connect your PC or Laptop to the router using an Ethernet cable.

Click on your Start Menu > All Programs > Windows Update or Microsoft Update, keep running this and restarting your computer after each set of updates is installed until there are no updates left to apply.

Should this fail to clear your issue, try visiting the manufacturers website for your PC/Laptop and click on the support section to see if updates are available for your computer from the manufacturer. Sometimes driver updates are made available on the Manufacturers website which are not available through Windows Update.

Mac Users should check Software Update from the Apple Menu to ensure they have the latest updates from Apple.

5. Resetting your Router & Wireless Connection Profile

There are times where we might need to reset the router and Wireless Connection profile stored on your computer to resolve issues, this may be because your wireless network key has been changed or to reset everything back to default settings.

First start by resetting your Sky Broadband Router using the reset button on the back, you'll find this button in a small recessed hole near the power button. Using a pen or paperclip, hold this reset button in for 10 seconds then let go while the router is powered on. Wait until the lights settle back to normal and the test (tick) light goes off.

Once the router has reset, follow the steps below for your Operating System:

Windows XP

1. Open your Start Menu and select Control Panel from the right hand side.
  2. Click on Classic View from the top left corner to ensure that you have icons displayed.
  3. Double Click on the Network Connections Icon.
  4. Right Click on your Wireless Network Connection icon and select Properties.
  5. From the Properties window that appears select the Wireless Networks tab.
  6. You'll see a list of Preferred networks, select your Sky Broadband Router and click remove.
  7. Close all open windows and re-connect to your router again, it will prompt you for your Network Key which can be found on the white sticker stuck to the side of your router and must be entered in uppercase.

Windows Vista / Windows 7

1. Open your Start Menu and select Control Panel from the right hand side.
  2. Click on Classic View from the top left corner to ensure that you have icons displayed.
  3. Double Click on the Network and Sharing Center Icon.
  4. Select Manage Wireless Networks from the menu on the left.
  5. You'll see a list of Preferred networks, select your Sky Broadband Router and click remove.
  6. Close all open windows and re-connect to your router again, it will prompt you for your Network Key which can be found on the white sticker stuck to the side of your router and must be entered in uppercase.

Mac OS X

1. Select System Preferences from the Apple Menu
  2. Click on Network
  3. Select Airport from the network connections list on the left side of the window.
  4. Click the Advanced Button
  5. Click on the Airport tab if not already selected and you'll see a list of preferred networks.
  6. Highlight your Sky Broadband Router in this list and click the '-' button to remove this.
  7. Click OK and close all open windows then reconnect to your router again using the Airport Menu. You will be prompted for your Network Key which can be found on the white sticker stuck to the side of your router and must be entered in uppercase.

Feedback

If anyone has any further hints, tips and suggestions that may help, please feel free to post these on this thread and we'll build this guide up.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Senior Member (Platinum)
PaulEK

Re: Troubleshooting Wireless Connection Issues

Netstumbler is a useful tool for checking what wireless channels are already in use around you, how strong the signals are and how many people are using them.

It's Windows only and on Windows 7 you need to right click the executable after installing it and put it into compatibility mode.

Istumbler gets good reviews from Mac users.

Used to work for Sky and BT ADSL tech support but please don't hate me for it :smileywink:
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
MrPC

I have tried all suggested channels, but still can`t use wireless with on of laptops. 

It says "connected", but I can`t actually go to the internet. Any suggestions?

Super User
caesarome

Login to your router (details in the first post) and make sure that your router is allowing your laptop's conection, it is under wireless settings > Set Up Access List. All wirless products should be at the top under 'Trusted Stations', if there is anything listed under 'Available Stations'  add it and save the page and try aagain with your laptop.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
MrPC

My laptop is not listed there at all

MrPC

I added the device manually to the trusted device list, but it didn`t resolve the problem. still no internet access! other ideas?

Occasional Visitor
bikeman

tv, can an tRe: Troubleshooting Wireless Connection Issues

i cannot connect my wireless router to my tv to get vierra cast. the tv recognises the router but the router does not recognise the tv, can you help

Occasional Visitor
will+davies

Hi

I cannot use wireless connection, even though I have had connection in the past.  I have tried to telephone help line several times but each time get cut off each time when I select my option? don't know what else to try can you help.

Regards

Will    

Super User
caesarome

When you say you can't use the wireless connection do you mean you can't connect to it ?

Try rebooting your router and trying aian.

If that doesn't work try connecting your computer to the router with the yellow cable and login here:

http://192.168.0.1

Username - admin

Password - sky

Look for the wireless settings and then try changing the channel number before saving the changes by clicking save/apply.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
LimeyChester

I have just bought into Sky Broadband in a bundle with telephone and TV. My old broadband provider ( Pipex) is switched off, my newSky signal supposedly in place, but I have not received a sky router yet. Sky tell me it will be 2-5 working days to get the new Sky Router to me, plus starter pack and CD.

Is there any way I can set up my Pipex Thompson Router to accept Sky Broadband/wi-fi, just as a stopgap?

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi LimeyChester, 

We do not support the use of Non-Sky Broadband Routers connecting to our network.

Robert
Community Coordinator

MrPC

Can I receive qualified instructions from Sky how to make wireless work on my laptop or not? 

Trying to fix the problem for months and still no result and I am not happy with that at all!!!!! 

I can see and connect to the wireless and it says "connected ", BUT NO ACCESS TO INTERNET!

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi MrPC, 

Can you confirm what version of Windows you are using on the laptop?

Robert
Community Coordinator

BOZ1234

SAMSUNG TV WILL NOT CONNECT WITH SKY ROUTER THROUGH SAMSUNG DONGLE 09 CAN ANYONE HELP!!!!!!

I have just bought a Samsung internet TV and am trying to connect to sky wifi through a Samsung 09 dongle...I go through the whole set up enter the network password but fails to connect. The TV recognises Sky as a network I Cannot be the only one that has run into this problem as most of the forums on this are from the states and are no good.

Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Super User
caesarome

Re: SAMSUNG TV WILL NOT CONNECT WITH SKY ROUTER THROUGH SAMSUNG DONGLE 09 CAN ANYONE HELP!!!!!!

Hi

The only thing I can think of is that the router might be blocking access. Try logging into it here:

http://192.168.0.1

Username - admin

Password - sky

And under Wireless Settings you should see "Setup Acess List" and you should see any devices that you is allowed access to your wireless network under "Trusted Wireless Stations". If there is anything shown under "Available Wireless Stations", it could be your TV so Add it and then Save it and see what happens.

I do not work for Sky.