Help
Help

Broadband Setup, Connection & WiFi
Scream106

Fixed IP Address using Sky Router

I have a device that requires a fixed IP address, it cannot use DHCP, and would like to connect it to my Sky router.

Does anyone have any idea what fixed address I could use?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
speedyrite

Re: Fixed IP Address using Sky Router

You would need to login to the router and go to Advanced > LAN IP Setup and change the range of IP addresses that the router can use for automatic assignment by DHCP.

It probably says start at 192.168.0.2 and end at 192.168.0.254 at the moment.

If you change that to say start at (for instance) 192.168.0.10 and end at 192.168.0.254, that will give you a small range of IP addresses from 192.168.0.2 through to 192.168.0.9 inclusive to use as fixed (static) IP addresses for devices on your LAN.

So you could then assign (for instance) the IP address 192.168.0.2 to the device that requires a fixed (static) IP address.

Hope that helps!

"All opinions are my own, other advice may be available and may differ from mine.
I do not work for Sky, I'm just a customer like you!
If my advice has helped you, say thanks by clicking on thumbs up"
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Scream106

I'll try that, haven't had chance yet due to one thing or another but sounds good.

Senior Member (Bronze)
Isitme1

Almost all devices have the ability to connect using DHCP, if yours doesn't you will have to give the device an address in the range of the router. This is anywhere between 192.168.0.2 and .254. To avoid conflicts it is better to use a high address such as 192.168.0.200. When you have done that you do not have to do anything to the router but it is advisable to reserve the address in the router's Address Reservation list. If you mention the device we may be able to advise how to give it a fixed address.

On ADSL Unlimited.
Amstrad DRX 890
Scream106

I can give the device a fixed address this is not a problem.

It definately cannot be given an address via DHCP.

I will fix an address via the MAC address and see how it goes.

Senior Member (Bronze)
Isitme1

If you give the device a fixed address in the range of the router, it should connect without having to enter the MAC address. One thing to remember is that if this is a mobile device, phone, tablet etc, you will not be able to connect to another network unless it has the same address range as the Sky router..

On ADSL Unlimited.
Amstrad DRX 890
Scream106

It's actually a telephone system, so I just need to give it a fixed address and it requiures the default gateway in order to access the outside world, which I guess is 192.168.0.1.

Senior Member (Bronze)
Isitme1

Yes, with a 255.255.255.0 subnet.

On ADSL Unlimited.
Amstrad DRX 890
Contributor
ME,+myself

sorry to chip in here, i was informed sky could not give static ip addresses

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Setup-Connection-WiFi/constant-ip-changing/td-p/1126716

My apologies if i am misreading this.

:smileyhappy:

Senior Member (Bronze)
Isitme1

My apologies if i am misreading this.

You are. This post is refering to Private IP Addresses, the ones used within your network, not the Public IP Address, the one you are recognised by on the Internet. This is dynamic and cannot be fixed.

On ADSL Unlimited.
Amstrad DRX 890
Occasional Visitor
Gps777

Hope that this helps but there seems to be confusion between internal IP and Public IP addresses. The fixing of of internal IP has been explained but I understand that SKY do not provide fixed Public IP addressess so it can vary. A solution to this is to use a fixed hostname which can be provided by companies such as DynDNS etc, by using this host name the fixed IP provider always interprets the IP address to that host name regardless if it has changed or not.

Occasional Visitor
muhammad+tahir

I am here to ask for a technique to view my remote camera through my ipad. My public ip changes everyday so it is a hassle to change everything on noip.com so I can view it on my ipad. Any quick thing so I can change something on router so I wont have to go through this hassle.

Thanks

Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Hi muhammad+tahir, 

As you need a static IP address, we offer our Sky Broadband Pro package which allows you to have this feature,  you can see all costs below. 

Pricing

• Either
    • £7.50 / month with Sky TV
    • £10 / month without Sky TV
  • Additional £15.40 / month for the required Sky Line Rental 

If you need anything else, please let me know. 

Thanks, 

LauraMac
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Senior Member (Bronze)
Isitme1

If you have No-IP set up this is a DDNS so you should not have to make any changes to your details. That is the whole idea of having a Dynamic DNS. Your IP address should not change everyday unless you are undergoing DLM training. This should be over in a few days and your IP address will settle down.

@LauraMac
Pricing
Either
£7.50 / month with Sky TV

Is this extra over the £7.50 that most of us are paying for Sky Broadband Unlimited, or do we all now qualify for a fixed IP address?
On ADSL Unlimited.
Amstrad DRX 890
Community Coordinator
Kris+McD

Hey Isitme1

Sorry for the confusion on this, the prices are as follows and subject to availability for your area. 

The prices for Sky Unlimited Pro is

• £12.50 / month - Broadband / TV / Talk and Line Rental *
  • £15.00 / month - Broadband / Talk and Line Rental (no TV) *
  • £17.50 / month - Broadband / TV (no Talk or Line Rental)
  • £20.00 / month - Broadband only
  • *Additional £15.40 / month for the required Sky Line Rental

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro

• £30 / month
  • Additional £15.40 / month for the required Sky Line Rental

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Kris

Kris+McD
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.