Help
Help

Broadband Setup, Connection & WiFi
Occasional Visitor
Lloydy2010
Accepted Solution

Can I get a new router for free?

Does anyone know if I can get a new router for free. The Aerial on the back of mine is broke, but dont want to have pay to get another one.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
briancst

Re: Can I get a new router for free?

hi Lloydy2010 ,sent you pm regarding your post 

Spoiler
:smileyvery-happy:

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Xen-Pu+Ovid-Sophron-Naso

[ Edited ]

Hi: Yes you can! Phone Sky Broadband Support on 08442414141, select option (3), then select option (1), then select option (1) again. Speak to these guys, and put to them that you can't use a broken/damaged router with your Sky Broadband services.

Therefore - you'll need a replacement Sky Netgear/Sagem wireless router supplied from Sky, as its not possible to go to the store and purchase one there, for usage with your Sky Broadband services as that device will fail when connected up with the Sky Broadband services.

Furthermore, you'll not be able to any other branded organization's wireless routers, with the Sky Broadband services, as you'll only be able to use those that are supplied by Sky Broadband.

Thanks. Xen..

--------------------------------
If you feel I have been helpful, please click the star under my name to give me a kudos for this post, as I'll be very grateful :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I have been helpful, please click the pink thumbs-up (bottom right) of this post to give me a kudos, as I'll be very grateful
Visitor
Haggis47

You will probaby have to pay as it has been physically broken.
Xen-Pu+Ovid-Sophron-Naso

[ Edited ]

Hi: Phone up Sky Broadband and speak to them fast as your router is damaged due to a broken wireless router aerial!

Sky will immediately tell you if there is to be any charge for a replacement or not. But do phone them up fast! Sky's Hours of business by phone, are from 08:00 through to 23:00 hours daily.

Thanks. Xen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I have been helpful, please click the pink thumbs-up (bottom right) of this post to give me a kudos, as I'll be very grateful
Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi, there is a charge of £28 for replacing routers after the initial 12 month warranty.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
MW123

Visitor
Mark+Searson

OK - If my account was cancelled and then reinstated again (just on paper, as Sky needed to cancell my account so they could add several bits and bobs to my account, then reinstated the account immediately), then can I have a new free modem?  Legally, mine is a new account, afterall, we have been made to agree to a further 12 month contract.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Mark+Searson, 

We could request a replacement router be issued, however we would only do this if you are experiencing issues with your current Sky Broadband Router. 

Are you having problems with the router?

Robert
Community Coordinator

Visitor
Mark+Searson

I would say yes.  I have had problems with the wifi rather than the ethernet wired apect.  My wifi connected devices often fall out of range (even if sitting next to router) and I have also had the router seemingly lose all wifi settings.  I would say that wifi capabilities of my router are not what they used to be and wifi speeds are often very slow.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Mark+Searson, 

Thanks for that, there is a possibility that it's the wireless channel setting causing this issue, on some of our routers this setting is defaulted to auto meaning the router changes wireless frequency.

I'd recommend following the instructions on our Troubleshooting Wireless Connection Issues guide, specifically the section titled Adjusting the Wireless Signal and set the Channel Number to anything other than auto to see if this helps.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
MW123

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi MW123, 

Can you give us a little more information on the issue you are experiencing, I've noticed you've made 2 posts where you've only included a question in the subject title.

Please provide more information and we'll try to assist

Thanks

Robert
Community Coordinator

Visitor
Aicomms1

Hi Sky Advisers....

I have just been asked to pay for new router as my old one has a fault that the engineers cannot fix. Is this normal?? Should i be paying for a new one? Surely sky should be providing this as part of the BB service to customers!!  And i know of friends who have had a replacementsent out in the past at no cost.

Any advise??

Many Thanks

Aicomms

Retired Staff Member
Samantha-K

Hi Aicomms1,

This is normal if you have been with us for longer than a year. After your initial years contract the broadband router becomes your property, which means you are responsible for it's maintenance and any issue that can occur.

I cannot comment on the free routers your friends have had as offers are different depending on your specific account details as lot's of different factors are affect the offers available to you.

Lastly it's great that you joined our forum for help! Welcome to our online community.

Thanks