Help
Help

Broadband Setup, Connection & WiFi
Regular Visitor
binliner2
Accepted Solution

Amber light

I'm a new sky customer, my phone and TV are all installed and working and I finally received my router on Friday (nearly 2 weeks AFTER my broadband activation date even though I ordered everything in August well in advance of my move date which was 2 weeks ago!). 

I plugged the router in to find an amber internet light, to cut a long story short, after around 6 or 7 phone calls to sky someone finally tested the line and found a fault, I was transferred to BT who pinpointed where it was and booked an engineer. The next day I got a call from said engineer who has 'fixed the fault', I still have no broadband so he said he'd have to book a broadband engineer as he didnt have broadband training!!

I'm currently waiting for the broadband engineer to call for the next instalment but I'm not filled with confidence so I was wondering if anyone else had experienced amber (or possibly red) internet lights and what the outcome was? It's a new N router.

Incidentally I have just come from several years as a virgin customer, when I joined them, they came round, installed everything and when it was all working they left... why don't sky do that? As a result my first experience with sky is frustrating phone calls, things arriving late and not working and then having to get somebody else to fix it (and at the end of it all I'll have a broadband speed about a tenth of virgin!)

One last gripe, the TV installer has run all the cables that I need to connect the sky HD box to the router to the wrong phone socket which is another room to the main socket that Im supposed to plug the router into!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
binliner2

Re: Amber light

An update...

I've just received a phone call from the BT engineer to ask more about my fault and to arrange to come round and check things. Finally, I thought, somebody is going to come and sort it out... and then he read me out somebody else's address!!

It seems my name and phone number has been put on someone else's fault... and I thought things couldnt get any worse

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
binliner2

Just to clarify, my original question is has anyone else had this amber light problem and how was it sorted? thanks

Community Coordinator
kirkie50

Hi binliner2

Sorry you are having problems with your Broadband. Is the amber light flashing or solid? After you spoke to the engineer did he advise if someone would call you back to arrange a visit? Let us know please, I will also private message you for more information as we can't ask for account details on a public forum. We will then look into this for you.

Many thanks

kirkie50
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
binliner2

Thanks for your reply, the amber light is solid most of the time but occasionally flashes.

The engineer said he would get back in touch with sky and try and book another engineer.

Community Coordinator
kirkie50

Hi binliner2

I have sent you a private message with regards your Broadband. Someone will be in touch soon, let us know how you get on.

Thanks

kirkie50
Community Coordinator

Regular Visitor
binliner2

Thanks Kirkie

I've just had a call from a BT engineer but it was another one with the wrong address... about 250 miles away! If you're in the Half Moon pub waiting for a BT engineer he keeps calling me!

So after spending over an hour on the phone last night I'm still waiting for the promised call back, to be fair the person I spoke to last night who promised to call me back might not have started her shift yet today. 

Community Coordinator
Tricia07

Hi binliner2,

Thank you for your reply, I hope you have received your call back today to get this resolved.

Please keep us posted on the progress of this issue.

Tricia07
Community Coordinator

Regular Visitor
binliner2

Hi Tricia

I was promised a call back by three different people on Monday, unfortunately none of them have materialised as yet.

The latest news on the issue on Monday night was that an initial fault on the phone line has been fixed by Open Reach and as soon as that fault is cleared from the system a new one can be raised for a broadband engineer to come to the house.

I've had two calls from different Open Reach engineers with my name but the wrong address so I'm not hopeful that I'll have broadband anytime soon :smileysad:

Regular Visitor
binliner

Another day passes with no call back from Sky and as I'm about to go home from work I won't have any internet access to check for replies here :smileywink:

Looks like another evening wasted on the phone trying to get something done. I hope Sky aren't planning on sending me any bills until this is sorted.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi binliner, 

I'm disappointed to see that this issue is still ongoing, I've sent you a Private Message asking for some details, please reply to this and I'll try to assist further.

Thanks,

Robert
Community Coordinator

Regular Visitor
binliner

Thanks Robert

Update... I phoned last night and have got an engineer booked to come to the house and check everything and trace the fault from there, that's the good news... the bad news is next Thursday was the soonest appointment when I can be home. :smileysad:

Credit where it's due, the chap from Sky who I spoke to last night said he'd keep checking to see if he could get me a weekend appointment and he has just phoned to say he has managed to grab a cancellation and has booked me an engineer for Saturday morning... this is much more like it, fingers crossed the problem can be solved Saturday.

Staff (Retired)
DanielFutz

Hi binliner, 

Glad to hear it, let us know how it all goes on Saturday :smileyhappy:

Thanks.

Occasional Visitor
mrmessedaround

Yes i have same problem, but not good news i have gone through the prosses you have 4 times had bt round 3 times then they didnt turn up the 4th time.

Spoke to over 20 sky operators and have been lied to , hung up on, and told to call back too many times to count.

The worst move you ever made was to change from VIRGIN to sky.

Just too let you know I have the same problem still and its still not fixed.