Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
I'm New Here
confusedx

wireless telephone kit

I have received notice from Sky saying because one of my boxes is not connected to a telephone line I am to be charged an extra £41.75. Can they do this?

When I rang SKY they said if I did not want cables running through the house I will need to buy a wireless kit, another £40 - £50. Tried Currys, they said not seen them for ages. Anyone else had this problem.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
El Capo
PaulEK

Re: wireless telephone kit

[ Edited ]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RTX-WIRELESS-PHONEJACK-Wireless-Phone/dp/B000NJQHL4/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

and yes it's in your terms and conditions that you are getting a subsidised box which needs to be on the telephone line for the first 12 months, if on multiroom it has to stay on the line permanently.

Used to work for Sky and BT ADSL tech support but please don't hate me for it :smileywink:
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Getting There
Unhappysky

I too have received notification after 3yrs of being with sky that my box has not been connected - Coming from Virgin (they do not require a phone line) I was unaware that a telephone line had to be connected! 

I called to speak to a customer advisor who was the most unhelpful advisor ever - asking me what I expected him to do! I then asked to be connected to the cancellation team and he was very happy to do so. On speaking to a sky representative who was extremely helpful she suggested an engineer come out to assess the situation and also talked about wireless phone connectors which I had not heard of before. She restored my faith in Sky and I decided not to cancel. The engineer came around and talked me through my options and was extremely helpful and talked me through my options which weren't many as the wireless connectors I would need to have a power point put next to my phone box which would mean calling in an electrician or have wires all around my flat. I opted for two extensions for a short term fix but it is pretty dangerous as my phone box is in the hallway of a flat and my front room (which is open plan and has no door) would of meant wires across the whole of the flat! Again he restored my faith in Sky until I checked my bank statement to find out that they have charged me  the extra £41.75 a day after the engineer arrived! I am now sick to the back teeth of Sky and would prefer to go back to Virgin and have cancelled my sky subscription!!!! 

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Unhappysky, 

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened, you did mention that the engineer discussed options and you managed to get your box connected up to comply however we would not have been able to stop the additional charge coming out of your account the next day.

If you pay by Direct Debit there is a 14 day window before the money comes out of your account where we cannot make changes to your bill that will affect the money that comes out of your account. I would advise you to use the Contact Us page and discuss this with our Customer Help team who should be able to refund this additional charge.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Getting There
stevep35

I have had to pay the £41.75. Nothing short of scandalous. Sky engineers fitted the equipment and have fitted it to an old bt cable that doesn't work. Surely they should have checked it. Sounds to me like a scam to collect extra fees. 

Getting There
stevep35

Sounds very familiar. Arrogant advisors who dont really care if we threaten to leave. I will never forget a similar attitude existed at Toyoto  and look what happened to their sales. Justice usually wins out in the end!

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi stevep35, 

I'm sorry to hear this, can you clarify when you say the Sky Engineers connected the sky equipment to an old BT cable, are you referring to a Sky TV installation?

If this is the case our engineers are not telephone engineers, if a socket is near the Sky box, the engineer will attempt to connect to this in the first instance and test this through the box as the viewing card is usually activated through the telephone line.

If the telephone socket doesn't work the engineer should advise you of this, at this point if an alternative socket is available the enigneer may connect to this however if no alternative socket is available you would need to advise the engineer as to the nearest phone point as the engineer may be able to run an extension cable from the working socket to your Sky box.

Regarding this issue, if a further engineer visit is required it will be covered under the original visit and provided you are still within 12 months from the date of installation a visit to fix this would be free of charge.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Getting There
cliffordward

I have today spoken to one of the advisors on the sky  help phone line and he told me that I could not use a wireless jack point and that the jack point had to be hard wired into the system.

This does not sound correct based on the earlier correspondence.  Can Sky Knowledge Advisor comment please.

Community Coordinator
Shelz

Hi cliffordward,

Thanks for your first post on our help forum, hopefully we can help you here to answer your questions.

Can I get you to clarify if you are looking to use this for your Sky box?

If so, then it may work, but they are not always reliable so we cannot recommend them.

Many thanks,

Shelz
Community Coordinator

Getting There
cliffordward

Shelz,

My existing Sky box is connected to a hard wired BT jack point and this box is to be upgraded to a Sky Plus HD box.

I am having a second HD box installed elsewhere in the house and it is for this second box I wish to use the wireless jack point.

I appreciate that you can't recommend any particular make, but is there anything in the Sky 'small print' forbidding the use of these wireless jack points.

One other point when upgrading the old box to a Sky Plus HD box - I understand two Sky cables are required (one for operating and one for recording).  Does this mean that the existing cable is removed and two cables provided instead or do you utilize the existing cable and run another alongside it.  I am asking this as I wish to change the existing TV position which will result in a longer run of cables.

Thanks

Cliff Ward

Community Coordinator
Shelz

Hi cliffordward,

Thanks for getting back to me :smileyhappy:

There is no small print to state that this is forbidden, however, if your box does not conform with some of the requirements for example: the box does not perform a call-back every month as needed and it turns out to be down to the wireless jack causing the problem, then you would need fix this which might mean running wires in the house or moving the box.

Yes for the Sky+HD box requires 2 input feeds to allow dual recording functionality, it may be possible to have the old feed replaced with 2 new ones but this is completely down to the engineer. If you were changing the position of the box, new cabling may be required if the old feed you have may not be long enough to reach the new position you would like.

I hope this has cleared this up for you.

Any other questions please let me know :smileyhappy:

Many thanks again,

Shelz
Community Coordinator

I'm New Here
gjd86

hi ye having the same with my sky boxes they have give me a mouth to sort it or they will charge me the £42 for the exta box what a joke already pay over the odds for sky all the have to do is fit one more phone box for the other sky box WHAT A JOKE

Getting There
PcdB

I have had Sky Tv for the last 5 years ( just one box - not multiroom) without being connected to a phone line.

I have never been asked to get it connected and not had any problems, the only downside is that I cannot use box office or use some of the interactive services.

You do not need to be connected to a phone line to use Sky TV.

Getting There
DavidMM

Hi,

Just set up my new Sky+HD2TB box this morning. Used a RTS wireless connection for the phone line. See http://www.rtx.dk/Wireless_PHONEjack-2715.aspx

However the setup call back failed. Sky help told me that there must be a hard wired phone connection for the call back to succeed and for the Sky+ function to work. This is news to me. Even the instruction manual for the wireless connection explains the setting for satellite set top boxes.

Any ideas please

David

Retired Staff Member
Emma-O

wireless telephone kit

Hi DavidMM,

Thanks for taking the time to post and welcome.

We do recommend hard wiring the boxes to the telephone line.

Wireless connectors do sometimes work however, they are not always reliable so we do not recommend them.

Regards,