Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
I'm New Here
the-muffin-man

wireless connector won't connect to router

I've just received my wireless connector but it just won't connect to my wireless router.

The sky box see the router, I'm entering the password correctly (correct case), but it just refuses to connect.

The only way I've managed to get it to connect is to disable the password protection on the router (which I just did to test, but I can't leave the network unprotected). I've tried changing WEP settings - 64bit, 128bit, WPA-PSK etc., etc. Wireless mode is 802.11B+g+n but nothing works I just keep getting 'problem connecting to network' error message from SKy Box.

I can't think of anything else to try, so any help appreciated!!

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Re: wireless connector won't connect to router

Hi the-muffin-man,

Welcome to the forum!

Who is your current service provider?  Have you tried to see if there are any issues connecting the router direct to the box via ethernet?  I appreciate this may not be possible, however it would be handy in helping us diagnose where the issue lies.

Regards,

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Annie+UK

[ Edited ]

Try changing the WiFi password on the router to something a bit more easier to enter to test connectivity then if you get connected you can choose a more secure password.

Annie.......... Xbox Gamertag: Annie UK  - Titanfall Gen4 -  Sky Help - YouTube channel

Sky customer since 1989 - βeta tester for: WindowsTechPreview, Xbox One, Windows Phone, Sky+HD etc... Hardware: DRX890 to LG 32LV550T, DRX895 to LG 42LV550T, Lumia 1520, Xbox One,, iPad Air 2 (128GB WiFi)

If someone helps you please click the thumbs up icon and/or accept as a solution, in the post options, where appropriate. Thanks.
I'm New Here
jasonx517

i'm having the exact problem, hopefully we can get solution from sky

Getting There
chunks49

so am l, no solution yet!

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi All,

For those of you who are unable to set the wireless connector up, if you have one of our routers with a WPS button and the new style wireless connector, can you try connecting this up using the WPS method?

If you have a Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) button on your router you don’t need to enter a network password.
Push the WPS button on your router then push the WPS button on your Wireless Connector. The Wireless Icon will flash amber whilst connecting. Once the transaction is complete the Wireless icon briefly changes to solid amber before turning white.

If this is not an option, or doesn't resolve the issue can you try a planner rebuild on the Sky+HD box and then try setting up the connector?

To carry out a planner rebuild:
1.Press services on your Sky remote control and you will see the main menu with Options highlighted.
2.Highlight the Settings menu using the right arrow button and press select.
3.Press 0 (zero), 1 then select to access the Installer Setup menu (this menu is not listed on the Settings menu options).
4.Use the left/right arrows to highlight Rebuild (this will change to Sky+ Rebuild when reached) and press select.
5.The on-screen message "This will take a few minutes to complete. The rebuild will stop all recordings and reboot your Sky+" will appear. Press select to continue.
6.The on-screen message "Housekeeping please wait" will appear and take up to two minutes to clear. If your Sky+HD box continues to display this message for longer than two minutes please carry out a power reset (below) with the viewing card removed.
7.Once complete your Sky+HD box will switch itself off and then back on automatically displaying the red standby light.
8.Ensure the red standby light on the box has re-appeared, then wait for 3 minutes.
9.Press sky your remote control and the light on your Sky+HD box will turn green.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks,
Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Getting There
J0nk3l

If you are on bt broadband when the sky box asks for the password what they really mean is the wireless key.  Sky customer support won't tell you this but it worked for me by ringing bt

Getting There
TwAwJw

This worked for me - thanks so much :smileyvery-happy:

Getting There
skyforum74

I have tried the SKY+ rebuild option with no success, I am still unable to connect the wireless connector to my BT Home Hub 3.0 router.  I cannot use WPS as I have older wireless items which means I need to use WEP security.  How can I resolve the connection issues?

I'm New Here
Cathy+H

Pleased to see lots of people have same problem. I have entered the wireless key and I neither can get it to work. Very frustrating! And doesn't seem to be much advise. I am not with BT but with plusnet and nothing is working! Grrrr!! Wouldn't mind so much if the bloody connecter had been free!

Getting There
Phil+Walsh

I still can't get mine to connect.  Any more help please?

Getting There
TwAwJw

[ Edited ]

Spoiler

I'm referring to the rebuild btw :smileyhappy:
TwAwJw wrote:

This worked for me - thanks so much :smileyvery-happy:

Getting There
Phil+Walsh

Does the rebuild wipe your disk of saved programmes?

Getting There
Acmh

Having the same problem. What is the difference between your password and the wireless key for bt routers and where can it be found.

Getting There
skyforum74

So have given up on the useless sky connector, it does not work bith BT Home Hub!!!!!!!!!  Tried connecting direct with cable, with no security on router, rebuilding planner, even tried it on different sky boxes and nothing works :smileysad:

Ended up buying D-Link homeplugs which provide ethernet connection over electricity cables, plugged them in, installed the software on my laptop and was up and running within 10 minutes - no messing around and no issues - forget the sky connector unless you use a sky router don't waste your time or money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!