Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
callen99

wireless booster not working

I just received my wireless booster today and have been attempting to connect it for the last 3 hours.  I have followed the steps on how to connect it by using the WPS buttons and it just does not work.  I have then attempted to connect it manually, but the web address the manual tells me to go to just says Page Loading.  I have reloaded the page several times, reset the booster several times and pulled my hair out several times.  I havent got much hair left so im asking for help

Thanks in advance

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
John+and+Jane

Re: wireless booster not working

Hi,

I had the same problem using Internet Explorer for my browser, I switched to Google Chrome and it worked straight away.

Hope this helps.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
BoXerCat

HI, worked OK on Firefox BUT did not improve my wifi reception upstairs hardly at all, despite moving to various locations. Only 8 Mb/s compared to 32 when connected by LAN cable. Shame really.

Occasional Visitor
Riyazi

Didn't work on chrome or IE. Tried chrome on incognito mode and worked straightaway :smileyhappy: hope this helps
Visitor
HungryBook

I had ,all sorts of fun trying to get mine working through manual - as people have suggested some other tips, it's worthwhile trying the following:

Having trouble setting up the Wireless Booster manually?

- If it's not working in one internet browser, try another

- Make sure you type in http:// in front (so http://skywirelessbooster.local )

- If it's not working on one computer try another (my wireless laptop didn't like it - but my destop PC worked fine)

- You don't need the computer you're manually connecting it to to be connected to the internet (so if you're on a wired connection with your PC, don't worry - unplug your current cable, and plug into the wireless booster to set it up - it won't break anything)

- Important one: some internet security programs might cause fun and games; my Avast Web Shield prevented it working (it just stayed on the searching\login screen).  Using the option to disable shields for 10 minutes, then closing and reopening the browser to http://skywirelessbooster.local worked and enabled me to set up.  So check your intenret security software and TEMPORARILY disable firewall for a few minutes while you set up - remember to turn it back on!

It's set up, working, and providing a great boost in the opposite end of the house - enough for streaming HD TV, playing games, browsing.  Yes, it isn't as quick as wires, but it's doing what I need it to, and came for the price of FREE!

Good luck, people-shaped-objects!

Regular Visitor
Lost+it

Ours arrived today. Connected it all up fine, no issues. All devices where showing a better wifi signal in the 'dull' area we have.

Only one downside though. Nothing loaded. At all. Everything was running as if everyone in the street had sucked the bandwidth dry.

Unplugged the new device and everything went back to its normal self which isn't the fastest but does actually work.

Just wondering if sky had a batch made that are faulty and figured this might be a good PR stunt. Not the best result here as it's going back in the box.
Contributor
js.taylor

Wireless range extenders (boosters) extend the range of signal but invariably reduce download speeds for all devices connected to the extender. Sky seem to have omitted mentioning this in the offer blurb.

Occasional Visitor
SkyUser28

Same issue here. Low wi-fi signal but 10mb+ download speeds without the booster. Connecting the booster to the network slows the download speed to 0.3mb/s.

Occasional Visitor
SteveAButler

I was about to send my wireless router back.  I have Sky Fibre so get a really good download speed when I'm near the main router but couldn't get a very good connection in the bedroom (about 3mps)

So I ordered a wireless booster thinking that this would solve the problem but it seems like a completely useless piece of kit.  I connected up ok, and in the bedroom now I have a full wireless signal but I can't seem to even do a basic search on the internet.  I did a speed test when connected to the booster and get even less speed than I did before, something like 0.25mps.

Thought I had a faulty one but by the sounds of it they are just useless.

Thanks Sky - finally thought I was getting something good for free but turns out I'm not.