Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
julieskelhorn
Accepted Solution

why does my router keep knocking me offline and a red light flashing instead of green

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Dsldude

Re: why does my router keep knocking me offline and a red light flashing instead of green

Your router is losing its internet connection from your telephone line, the first thing to check is you have a

microfilter fitted to all sockets being used not just the one for the router and that the filter is the very first connected to the socket (before any possible double socket splitters), and that you are connected to your main phone socket.

If problems continue the easiest way to identify the issue is to connect to the Test socket.

The below photo shows a NTE5 BT master socket most houses have these but not all,

if you have more than 1 phone socket this will normally be the one that the outside cable

connects to first.

Under the two screws and carefully remove the faceplate, connect a microfilter to the Test socket

directly and then connect your sky router to this filter, you may need to leave it in there for say 24hrs to

see if it has made the connection stable or not.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Frequent Visitor
tufftynbones

Re: why does my router keep knocking me offline and a red light flashing instead of green

Yes then what , i have tried this and stiill the same ....this fault was not present untill i had HD installed yet no cable or connections were damaged or disturbed....this broadband has run sweet as a nut for 3yrs ....whats wrong.. sky do not know!!

Frequent Visitor
tufftynbones

Yes then what , i have tried this and stiill the same ....this fault was not present untill i had HD installed yet no cable or connections were damaged or disturbed....this broadband has run sweet as a nut for 3yrs ....whats wrong.. sky do not know!!

Super User
Dsldude

If you tried it in the Test socket then the Sky HD box would not even be conected to the phoneline as

you have only a microfilter and the router, if it still loses the conection in there then its

ether the Router/Line/Exchange, all 3 of those will need Sky involved so I would get back on to them.

Frequent Visitor
tufftynbones

Thankyou friend, but sky said router was faulty so they sold me a new router and guess what still the same, BT Line is fine and Sky tested both their line and BT line .. tried completely disconnecting all back to the original setup for the last 3 yrs just wont work keeps dropping.. tried all wired and wireless scenarios and tweeks/channels u name it... been going on 7wks now just rediculous.. tried my netbook and daughters too same prob so that rules the pc,s out!    Answers on a postcard please!!!!!!!

Super User
Dsldude

If the Internet light is changing from Green then its a adsl internet problem,

If the internet light isnt green you wont get on the internet regardless if you even have a computer, if you had a new router and your issues remain then I would go back to Sky till it was resolved.

When you got the new router I presume you changed everything that came with it including the new

power supply and cables.

Pete+H2K

Hi,

Might be a long shot but, is it OK if you take your phone off the hook, just so you can hear the dial tone ?

Cheers

Pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Frequent Visitor
tufftynbones

just tried this dialtone loud then goes softer after 10 - 15 secs!!

Frequent Visitor
tufftynbones

Hi Friend everything has been installed as per the book ive beed red lighted from green 4 times this session, and its getting stupid now.  Sky keeps sending me the same email to check this that and the other which i have done approx 10 times ,ive bought a router from them as they recommended and a waste of money really as the problen is still there,  i have rechecked and my friend rechecked all the wiring and connections but we cannot find anything wrong, swapped filters cables routers ... sky quoted me a speed of 4.8kps,  and a bit of line blockage they say , this wasnt the issue it was dissconection.  i thought it was my pc but 3 cant all be faulty surely..... looks like joining virgin they are not really interested in backup just sales!!

Pete+H2K

tufftynbones wrote:

just tried this dialtone loud then goes softer after 10 - 15 secs!!

Hi, while the phone is off the hook so you can hear the dial tone, is your broadband more stable ?

Cheers

Pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)