Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
careena+byth
Accepted Solution

using old sky box as a freeview box

Hi, i have search the sky website but cant find the answer i need.

i have a sky box (an old one, not hd or sky+) and i would like to put in into my kids room to use it for freeview. how do i do this? can i just plug it into the tv and socket and it works or do i need to get a viewing card from sky, and how much would this cost? i am greatful for any help

Thanks

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: using old sky box as a freeview box

Hi careena+byth, 

The Sky+ box will need to be connected to the satellite dish to receive a signal, this would need to be fitted by an independent local engineer.

You will receive some channels Free to Air without having a viewing card however to receive all Freesat from Sky channels you will need a Freesat from Sky viewing card which is a available at a one of cost of £25.

For more information visit www.freesatfromsky.co.uk

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
syorks

Isn't that typical of Sky... you can't even view the FREE sat without paying them. Cheaper to buy a freeview box.

Occasional Visitor
332Debs

We have an old Sky box and are cancelling our subscription. So will we still be able to receive some Freeview channels without changing anything?  How do I find out which channels we will receive / extra channels if we buy a Freesat from Sky card for £25?

Thanks 

Super User
caesarome

You box will automatically pick up the free to view channels when your subscripition changers, you will not need a new viewing card. These are the channels you will recieve:

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/what-can-i-watch/

If this box isn't a HD one then you will not be able to view the HD channels shown on this link.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
332Debs

Great, thanks very much!

Occasional Visitor
alistairv

The link you have posted is just to information about the service. Is there not a link for purchasing a card? I called the rediculously expensive chargeable (especially from mobiles) 0844 number which I resent doing as we already pay for a service, only to be put on hold for 6 minutes and tol;d that if I google sky freesat card I will find it online!! Sure enough, I could not find a link and am not willing to fill Skys coffers anymore than I do. How the hell do I get a card?!!

Super User
kato

If you dont want to buy one off sky have a look at ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__freesat%20card_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_dmdZ2QQ_frdlpwlZ1QQ_scZ1QQ_sopZ1QQ_vcZ1...

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Super User
caesarome

alistairv wrote:

The link you have posted is just to information about the service. Is there not a link for purchasing a card

________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the link I posted is a "Order Freesat from Sky" tab, select it or click this link and the details are there, is still involves a phone call though:

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Contributor
robjc

Occasional Visitor
Green+Marine

By cancelling existing Sky subscription I beleive , I understand that your Sky card already provided under the subcription scheme automatically gives access to all the freesat from sky channels and there is no need to buy a freesat card.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Community Coordinator
lainys

Hello Green+Marine, 

If you cancel your Sky subscription and would like to use the box as a freesat box then you would be able to use your viewing card to view some free to air channels. For security reasons Viewing Cards may be inactivated from time to time and Sky replace the subscription paying customers cards.

When the time came to do this then you would need to buy a Freesat Card as your old Sky card would need to be replaced

You would be able to view more information about the Freesat from Sky card by following this link.

If you wish to keep the recording feature of the Sky+ box then you could do this by paying a monthly subscription to Sky of £10.00 per month.

Anything else I can help with post again. 

Kind Regards

Lainys
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
MikePerry

No Sky box can be used to receive Freeview! 

Sky boxes can be used to receive FreeSat, which is similar to Freeview but not the same.  Sky is a satellite-based services using the Astra satellites 'parked' at 28.2 or 28.5 degrees East in a geo-stationary equatorial orbit. Freeview is a purely terrestrial based service using mainly the former analogue television transmitters, such as at Crystal Palace, Sutton Coldfield, Emley Moor, etc.  Freeview needs use of a standard UHF aerial (there's no such things as a 'digital' aerial) with a Freeview equipped TV or a set top box.  FreeSat can be received from the same Astra satellites as Sky and you need either a Sky box or a FreeSat box - neither need a subscription at all.  You need to use the same sort of dish and LNB as used for Sky.

So, if you have a Sky box and dish, you can watch FreeSat but not Freeview.

Occasional Visitor
rafiqulislam

7 Balfour street keighley west yorksher
Occasional Visitor
yorkydar17

hi i live in portsmouth and am a virgin customer but still have a dish and sky plus box how can i use the recording facility and what do i need to do