Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Visitor
PDMill

trouble connecting samsung galaxy ace to sky wifi

I have just purchased a samsung galaxy ace phone. I cannot get it to connect to the internet via my home sky wifi. All my other devices (PC, Laptop, daughter's phone, my old phone) will connect, and my new phone will connect to other wifi networks.

I have entered the network code and the phone has remembered the network but when i click 'connect' nothing happens.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
snadge+100

Re: trouble connecting samsung galaxy ace to sky wifi

and web browser doesnt work at all...?

what security you using and how many digits is the password? I had a similar problem where by this wireless USB stick would not connect until I made the password longer (Wierd I know - said it wasnt enough digits for the security type - yet all other computers connected no bother)

its not trying to use a fixed local IP address which matches a device already connected to the router is it? (try turning off all connected devices and reboot phone then retry to connect whilst nothing else is connected to the router.

Sorry I cant be of much more help, smart phones arent my forte :smileyhappy:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test Socket - Router Stats - inSSIDer - TCP Optimizer - DNS Benchmark - Speedchart
Service Updates - Troubleshooting - Pingtest - Speedtest - Do you need a MAC.?
Improve your Wi-Fi - Planner Rebuild & System Reset
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
appywatcher

having the same problem cannot find a solution anyone help please \\\\\\\\\\\/

Staff (Retired)
GarryC

Hi appywatcher,

Thanks for your first post to the forum!

Did the advice of snadge+100 help at all?  Can you let me know what is happening when you try to connect to the Sky wireless?

Thanks,

Occasional Visitor
lofty1966

hi did you sort out youre problem as mine has just started doing the same was fine till a few days ago

Occasional Visitor
djoppo

Does anyone know if this problem is solved,  I have Sky TV,  and just signed up to switch from B.T. to Sky Broadband and Talk.  I also have a galaxy ace and am getting worried as to whether I should have bothered to switch ????

Occasional Visitor
Zippy1972

Hi,

This happens to my Samsung Galazy Ace too.  I have had my phone wiped twice by O2 and now they are saying it is Sky.  Can someone please advise what the problem is??

Occasional Visitor
Zippy1972

This happens to me too.  When you try to connect your phone to Wifi the phone just says "obtaining IP address" .  Usually it would say that for about a second and then say "Connected" and it works fine.  What happens instead it is just says "obtaining IP address" for ages and then the message changes to "disconnected".  It then changes back to "obtaining IP address" and so on.  I have had my phone into O2 twice now for repair - they have wiped the phone, uploaded new software and the problem only really seems to happen when I am at home.  I urgently need some advice on how to rectify this.  I would appreciate your advice.  Thank you

Super User
snadge+100

[ Edited ]

it looks to me like the Samsung Galaxy Ace might have a Wi-Fi parameter issue in that it might not be fully IEEE compliant with the connection spec... possibly the security.

PLEASE ALL TRY:

A) turning off all other wifi and LAN connected devices and then retry to see if it can connect (unlikely)

B) In the router try changing channel from AUTO to 1, 6 or 11 and click apply & wait 15 seconds then see if it can connect (unlikely)

C) In the router try changing the mode from AUTO to 54G AUTO (do not use 54G Performance because its not what you think it is and you will lose signal or not be able to connect if your not at close range) - try again and see if it works.. if not put it back on AUTO

D) as a tester only!: write down your current wifi password then please change the security from WPA+WPA2 (TKIP+AES) to just WEP and generate a password etc, click APPLY, wait 15 seconds and then try to connect with the new password - failing that, as a tester only please turn off wifi security completely so its open and see if you can connect then - if it fails when its open then we know its not a security issue - please turn WPA+WPA2 back on with original password

sometimes you get hardware that just wont communicate with each other, usually its because of one or both devices are not being fully compliant to standards - in this scenario it would appear to me that its likely to be the Samsung Galaxy Ace - one just has too google 'samsung galaxy ace wifi problem' too see the web littered with Wi-Fi problems from it - if its happening on o2 versions of the phone only then its something to do with their firmware!

Test Socket - Router Stats - inSSIDer - TCP Optimizer - DNS Benchmark - Speedchart
Service Updates - Troubleshooting - Pingtest - Speedtest - Do you need a MAC.?
Improve your Wi-Fi - Planner Rebuild & System Reset
Occasional Visitor
Ashers1901

My hubby has identical problem with the Ace yet I dont and we have the exact same phone apart from me being on 02 and him on 3, so it's got to be a Sky problem!! Worked fine on his phone 4 ages then stopped.  3 have wiped his phone and updated software etc but problem persists. It's ONLY our wifi he cant connect to.  Have also this minute tried connecting an IPAD and it does exact same, even after adding it in the settings as an attached device. Mine currently sits on 54g auto so thought try doing it the opposite way to advice and not a jot of difference! As per no help when called unless I want to call the premium number and that I refuse to do!!

Staff (Retired)
Fraser-H

Hi Ashers1901,

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to our community.

Sorry to read that you have been experiencing some issues when trying to connect to your Sky router. Have you attempted any troubleshooting? As it may well be worth trying to change the wireless channel on your router to see if this helps at all.

If you can let us know.