Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
carlos07

Re: slow broadband slow connection

Could anyone help im having slow broadband speed one day i can get 3mb and others it is about 1mb, can you get more than 3?

This is my statistics.

System Up Time: 01:40:05

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up TimeWANLANWLAN

PPPoA19586230050406361701:39:23
100M/Full3139184068201:40:01
11M/54M28985282700382760301:39:48

ADSL Link Downstream UpstreamConnection SpeedLine AttenuationNoise Margin

3067 kbps797 kbps
49 db29 db
14 db14 db
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
henke

System Up Time: 0:12:26

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN LAN WLAN
PPPoA277432350000:09:08
 1500000:12:26
 629853170000:11:59
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed Line Attenuation Noise Margin
4960 kbps448 kbps
45.0 db22.5 db
12.5 db21.0 db
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
henke

My download speed has dropped to 0.19Mb now, painfully slow!

Staff (Retired)
StacieB

Hi carlos07,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum :smileyhappy:

From looking at your stats your speed is 3Mb and your line attenuation indicates that you are a fair distance away from your exchange. 

Your noise margin is higher than our target which is 7db, which would indicate an internal set up issue.

Can I ask you to try the following troubleshooting steps for slow speeds and let me know how you get on?

Thanks. 

Staff (Retired)
StacieB

Hi henke,

Thanks for posting your stats to us.

From looking at your stats I can see that your speed is 4.9Mb and your line attenuation indicates that you are a fair length from the exchange. 

Your noise margin is higher than our target which is 7db, this would then indicate an internal set up issue.

Could I ask you to complete troubleshooting for slow speeds please and let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks. 

Regular Visitor
henke

[ Edited ]

Hi Stacie.

I normally have an xbox 360 plugged into the router, but unplugged this a few days ago when the problems started. Since then i have temporarily unplugged the only phone in the house. I have swapped the filter for a spare. I have also plugged the router (via a spare filter) directly into the test socket. None of this has made the slightest difference.

I have just tried changing the router channel. It was originally on ch6, which appears to be the best (least worst) channel at 0.34Mb download.

EDIT: There are two computers in my house that are both suffering the same problems.

Please advise on my next course of action, thanks.

Staff (Retired)
GarryC

Hi henke,

It does sound as if there is an internal setup issue, however if you have ran through all of the slow troubleshooting steps sent to you from our Help Centre, then I would advise you would be best to give us a call and speak to a technical agent so you can run through some further diagnostics.

Have you noticed if there is any noise on your telephone line since your speed dropped?  Or any issues with your telephone service at all?

Thanks,

Regular Visitor
henke

Thanks for your reply Garry.

I've been at work so only just had chance to read it. However... miraculously, my broadband is back up to the level i previously enjoyed. 3.32Mb.

GrumpyNoVids

Hi.

I did mention previously that there is only one socket and it does not have a test socket. I have installed the equipment exactly as it should be using only that which was provided! Please don't make me write that again and again and again...

Nobody listens or reads your forum posts or e-mails. Then, magically, when you quote the terms of the service agreement and that you might b****r off to Virgin instead, somebody phones up and fixes the problems in 5 minutes...

How did my service magically go from 776kbps to 6611kbps, when the only thing different was me saying "well Virgin have cable in this area"? I decided not to go for Virgin, initially because where I lived previously in Hackney, I had 6 years of good service from Sky with no problems. Since moving here, it has been nothing but problems. My service is now running at an acceptable speed but for how long? If someone asked me to recommend an ISP, would I say Sky?

If your Mercedes kept breaking down and all the dealer kept saying to you was "have you tried the pedal on the right?", would you buy or recommend Mercedes to anyone you liked?

NikkiB82

Hi there,

Can anyone help we moved from virgin media to sky over three weeks ago but our broadband speed with SKY is very very slow, i have tried all the tips from the help and support page but nothing seems to make it any faster, please see below for our statistics

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 14:49:18

MER6499412303501281127:30:21
Up127057965100712388314:49:18
Up0000014:48:56
1018 kbps606 kbps
49.5 dB30.5 dB
9.7 dB16.0 dB

we was told by the sky advisor after he tested/checked the line when we was signing upto sky that we would get a minimum of 2.6Mb and a maximum of 7Mb

our router is wired into the microfilter which is connected direct into the master socket, our computer is wired direct to the router using the yellow ethernet cable.

Forgot to mention i have tested our speed using uswitch broadband speed test and we are only getting the following

Download speed 0.9Mb

Upload speed 0.5Mb

this is terrible considering we was getting 7+Mb all the time with virgin, i have checked the distance for our exchange and it is 2.23Km away

Please please please can anyone help?

Thanks

Nikki

Community Coordinator
Shelz

Hi GrunpyNoVids,

I apologise for the endless problems that you seem to be having with your speeds since you have moved.

For any changes to be made on your line we would need to have you on the line so that we can acquire the correct details and manually configure your line for you. If this has not been done then unfortunately I do not know how this has changed so dramatically.

Was there any work being carried out by Openreach at your exchange recently? 

I understand that not having a stable speed is frustrating :smileysad:

We do read and respond to customers posts and so do the community, and we do have a dedicated team that are working through all emails that we have received, granted this is taking longer than we would like, but I assure you that they are getting replied to as soon as possible.

I am sorry again for the issues.

Thanks

Shelz
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
GJM32

I am receiving less than .7 mbs (www.speedtest.net) Router showing 1.2 mbs

I have had an Openreach engineer review my internal wiring and filters.   Sky estimate I should receive between 2.5 and 8 mbs.  

Something wrong somewhere and Sky dont seem too bothered.

Occasional Visitor
sinister

Came on here for some answers to my slow connection problem, I have already spoken with sky, there was no solution to my problems it seems, thats why Im here to see what others are doing about it.

After reading most of these posts it appears that we are all suffering the same problem and most with in the same time span, now that can't be coincidense, what has happened to sky's usual good broadband, I have been with them for years and always sung there praises. 

This forum was a last resort, but it appears we are suffering the same.

I am going to go with O2 I have had enough of this very poor service.

GrumpyNoVids

It just gets worse. After an evening of 6.6Mbps, it all went pear-shaped again. Hasn't been above 817kbps since. Was told an engineer would be out today and would make my job his last (after 4pm) as I am a teacher and couldn't get away from school before then. Engineer called at 1pm and left a message saying I wasn't there (erm... I knew that). Called Sky at 4pm, when I picked up that message, only to be told that they can't promise time slots and the person I spoke to shouldn't have done so.

Great.

In short, I was promised a minimum of 5Mbps. I have barely 1/10th of that speed. My mobile phone is almost 4 times faster.

I cannot watch any streamed video online (iPlayer, YouTube, ITVplayer, 4OD etc...)

Some webpages, I might as well make a coffee whilst waiting for them to upload.

The customer service has been diabolical. I have been asked the same questions over and over again in what seems like an attempt to batter me into submission through sheer fatigue. No notes seem to have been stored on my account as everyone seems completely shocked when I tell them I DON'T HAVE A TEST SOCKET!!! NO!! I DON'T!!!

Is this how Sky expect to keep customers? Is this how Sky expect to be recommended to new customers?

I know for a huge company, my small change each month means nothing. How I've been treated only confirms this.

The moment it is processed, I will be an ex-customer, asking for his money back for services which Sky simply failed to provide.

OFCOM will be informed accordingly.

Occasional Visitor
sarah+wit

hi Help needed badly what sort of speeds should i expect to get from my broadband here are my settings

System Up Time: 0:25:24

PPPoA12100000:00:23
 33700000:25:24
 814280030000:24:59
511 kbps796 kbps
43.5 db23.1 db
14.8 db10.0 db
Poll Interval: (secs)

thanks