Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
kennyhiggins

Re: slow broadband slow connection

Had slow broadband since joined sky was told would get upto 2mb speeds but get less then one. Here are my router stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed Line Attenuation Noise Margin
384 kbps605 kbps
63.0db37.9db
18.3db13.8db

is there anything that can be done to improve my speed

i have everything set up correctly with micro filter  and i have plugged it into the test socket of the phone line and it didn't change so is thinking it is a problem with the phone line

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Staff (Retired)
kirsty+d

[ Edited ]

Hi kennyhiggins, 

Welcome to the Sky Help forum, thanks for your first post :smileyhappy:

Looking at your figures there may be some room for improvement but it would appear you are a fair distance from the exchange.

Would you be able to take the stas again, this time through the test socket.

The test socket , as the picture shows, is behind the faceplate.

images (1).jpg

Many thanks,

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
kennyhiggins

hi this is the status using the test socket

1020 kbps605 kbps
64.0db37.9db
8.2db14.7db
Staff (Retired)
kirsty+d

Hi kennyhiggins,

Thanks for getting back to me :smileyhappy:

The stats you have posted have improved when using the test socket. As I said previously the attenuation suggests that you are a fair distance from the exchange, looking at the Noise Margin there is not a great deal of scope for improvement.

As your Noise Margin has decreased significantly using the test socket, there may be a fault with the actual faceplate or wiring. It may be that this needs to be replaced, they can be picked up fairly easily at an electrical retailer.

It may also be worthwhile checking out the tips for getting the best from your Broadband Speed.

I hope this is of benefit to you, let me know how it goes.

Many thanks,

kennyhiggins

Hi kirsty me again broadband speed gone worse

Downstream Upstream Connection Speed Line Attenuation Noise Margin
280 kbps415 kbps
63.0db37.6db
21.9db15.2db

also forgot to mention b4 but my phone line isn't the best lots of interference changed phones a few times not made a difference

GrumpyNoVids

Well it seems I am not alone. After waiting in for an engineer to turn up and "install" my broadband, as I was instructed, it turned out this was done remotely anyway.

Initially, speeds were poor and the broadband dropped out periodically, exactly as I was told might happen in the first 10 days. Since then, things have only gotten worse.

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 52:54:20

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN LAN WLAN
PPPoA1284421099320534515950:34:50
Up122571117870015469163452:54:20
Up2750651231343155002283052:53:58
3071 kbps249 kbps
44.0 dB24.5 dB
11.0 dB29.0 dB

Only 10 minutes prior to logging into this forum, the downstream connection speed was showing 704kbps! I cannot watch YouTube, ITVplayer or BBC iPlayer without long buffering breaks every 10 seconds or so. Webpages can sometimes take minutes to download. Attempting to download VLC Media player last night took just over 1 hour!

When we signed up, we were quoted speeds of between 5 and 8 MB/s. When running online speed checks, we get downloads of 0.7 and uploads of 0.1MB/s. I am only using the Sky provided equipment and have tried changing microfilters. These issues persist on my wired PC and on my wireless laptop (which works faster than Usain Bolt when using other wireless connections). I have contacted other Broadband providers and BT said my line should be providing at least 11MB/s (...or I can get their premium package of 35MB/s blah blah blah... sales pitch stuff).

Why is everything so slow? What in the Wide World of Sport is going on?

GrumpyNoVids

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 54:23:09

MER/PPPoA000000:00:00
Up4119472810170279521054:23:09
Up27624252314756060109681033554:22:47
688 kbps252 kbps
56.5 dB43.8 dB
7.1 dB14.0 dB

There we go.

It yoyos, drops, comes back, vanishes and then comes back at a dribble.

Community Coordinator
Shelz

Hi GrumpyNoVids,

Thank you for providing us with your stats again for us so we can see what a difference there is!

How long have you had your service?

Are these statistics taken from your master socket in your property or your test socket please?

Have you tried connecting the router to the socket by itself with no other devices connected?

Are you using extension cables?

As this is your first 2 posts, can you double check these steps too please just to make sure all points have been covered? 

Let me know if any of these improve your speed?

Many thanks,

Shelz
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
GrumpyNoVids

Hi,

We have had phone service since October 5th and Broadband since 23rd October. There is only one socket in the property and it does not have a test socket. I have tried connection with and without the phone also connected. The cables used are the ones provided with the modem, as are the microfilters. There are no extension cables.

The service speed peaked very briefly in November at 5MB/s (as promised when we signed up to the service) but I currently get approximately an 80/20 split of either 0.7MB/s or 2.5-3MB/s. These figures are corroborated by the modem stats and online speed tests. Strangely, someone from the helpdesk "ran a line test" and determined that the maximum speed capable for our line was only 1MB/s. This runs contrary to the evidence I have seen in the line stats and makes me question the efficacy of the "line test" that they ran.

The most recent data from the modem is:

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 72:59:06

PPPoA357304014008160:01:49
Up90059362009901800175972:59:06
Up276560123147560600072:58:44
984 kbps252 kbps
54.0 dB41.1 dB
6.6 dB19.0 dB

As you can see, this is running at a current maximum of just over 0.9MB/s, still well below the 5MB/s service that was promised. I have subsequently spoken to neighbours in this block who have their Broadband service through TalkTalk and are currently getting speeds of 5MB/s. There seems to be a large disparity between their provision and that which I receive. I cannot regard the current service as acceptable, especially considering my Smartphone is providing much faster internet access than my wired broadband connection.

Please help.

Community Coordinator
Shelz

Hi GrumpyNoVids,

Thank you for getting back to me again,

You have had no phone line since October? Has a trouble report been raised by an agent to have this issue looked at? This would need to have been filled out by an agent after they have run through the troubleshooting for you and the issue is still not resolved.

This trouble ticket would then be raised for further investigation into what the problem is.

Can you confirm if this has been done or not?

Thanks,

Shelz
Community Coordinator

GrumpyNoVids

Erm...

No.

What I said was we have had a phone service since October 5th. We HAVE a phone service. I do not have a fault with my phone service, just incredibly slow Broadband that is currently much slower than my Smartphone. I am having to watch iPlayer on my phone as on my PC it says insufficient bandwidth!

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 77:57:22

PPPoA2009126083044752:25:31
Up997890697463040761155877:57:22
Up276669593147560600077:57:00
832 kbps249 kbps
54.5 dB41.4 dB
5.9 dB17.5 dB

These are the recent stats from the modem, again corroborated by 3 different speed test websites.

Staff (Retired)
kirsty+d

Hi GrumpyNoVids,

Are you able to re-post your stats from the test socket? What speed were you advised you would get?

You can access the test socket from behind the faceplate as shown in the photo.

images (1).jpg

That would be great.

Many thanks,

Occasional Visitor
HAZLAR

You state that I should have somewhere around 2.56mb. I have done a test and am only getting 0.3mb....shocking.. What are u going to do to sort out??

Regular Visitor
henke

Same here, last two days 0.34Mb download, 0.37Mb upload.

I've been through all this before with talktalk, what a pack of time wasting liars they are. Spent every evening for months on the phone to them costing me a fortune. For what it's worth i've tried unplugging stuff, used a spare filter, direct into the test socket. No joy.

If it's not sorted soon i'll be taking my business elsewhere.

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi folks, if you are having problems with your speed please try the troubleshooting here. If this does not help I would advise trying your router in your test socket if you have one, or in the master socket on it's own if you don't, with a different filter and posting the router statistics you see there along with the statistics from your current configuration.

master socket with microfilter

If you have a horizontal split across your master socket as shown in the picture just above the microfilter then you should have a test socket. Remove anything you have plugged in to the socket then undo the two screws and gently remove the bottom half of the faceplate (it may have wires attached to the back). You should then see the test socket in the bottom right corner. If the faceplate is one piece of plastic then you don't have a test socket so don't attempt this.

To get the full router statistics go to http://192.168.0.1 then log in with admin and sky and click on show statistics.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator