Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
clint0z3

sky hd remote and magic eye

I am really hoping someone can help me. I had a sky plus box and a magic eye link to the tv in my bedroom and this worked brilliantly. I upgraded to a HD box and installed the same magic eye again and still it worked brilliantly. I swapped the televisions round and now the magic eye will only work if i have the main television on in the living room. If I have it on standby I cannot use the remote at all on the second television in the bedroom.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Its driving me nuts!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
kato

Re: sky hd remote and magic eye

[ Edited ]

clint0z3 wrote:

I am really hoping someone can help me. I had a sky plus box and a magic eye link to the tv in my bedroom and this worked brilliantly. I upgraded to a HD box and installed the same magic eye again and still it worked brilliantly. I swapped the televisions round and now the magic eye will only work if i have the main television on in the living room. If I have it on standby I cannot use the remote at all on the second television in the bedroom.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Its driving me nuts!

Have you activated the RF2 output on the new box?

If not try this.

Press the services button on your remote to access the Services menu.

Press the right arrow button to highlight the Settings menu and press the select button. You will now be highlighted on Picture on the menu bar.

Press 0, 1 then select to access the hidden Installer Setup options. You will now be highlighted on Setup.

Using the right arrow button, highlight RF Outlets and press select. RF Channel Number displays.

Using the numbers on the remote control keypad change the RF channel, any number between 21 and 69.Normally 68

Remember to press green to save changes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
clint0z3

Yeah thats all set up. I have picture on the screen and I can even use the volume if I set it up I just cant do anything else.

Super User
kato

clint0z3 wrote:

Yeah thats all set up. I have picture on the screen and I can even use the volume if I set it up I just cant do anything else.

Just a thought you said you changed the TV'S around.Have you reprogrammed the remotes?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Getting There
clint0z3

Yeah I did that too but it didnt make any difference. Im really stumped!

El Capo
Kenneth+M

Is the red light showing on the magic eye?  If so, unplug the eye from the second tv, and try changing channels.

Are you connected directly from RF2 on the digibox, or is there a wallplate, or splitter involved in the link?

Getting There
Hatfield55

I tried that but still does not work pleawe help

Super User
Mark39

Tell us what problem you're having, and the background to it.

I'm New Here
Bunker350

[ Edited ]

Hello Gents, Im one of the many who are finding a problem with magic eyes aswell. My set up was a Sky+ box into a '6 way IR pass distribution amplifier' thing going to different rooms. Each room has a TV and a magic eye. Worked perfectly for the last 4 years. I installed the new HD 2Tb box last night - ensuring all the cables went in the same holes as before.

The Sky box is under the stairs with splitter amp thing, all coax from the house ends up there.

On the opposite side of wall is the main TV so I have drilled through with an HDMI cable into the TV, and a coax for the magic eye. Works a treat including the magic eye.

RF2 is being used as before, going into the distributor

None of the other TVs in the house now get a picture atall. Magic eyes show a red LED on the main body part but nothing on the eyeball when remote is pressed regardless of old or new remote. 

Interestingly, the red light stays on the magic eye 'body' even when the coax from the RF2 is removed, so it must be getting power from the distribution amp?

RF2 is ON on menu at ch68.

This is driving me insane, mainly because its driving the wife insane and therefore its my fault - for the love of man, PLEASE someone assist ;-) Thanks

Super User
Mark39

Could your old Sky box have been outputting the Sky signal on a channel other than 68? Try re-tuning one of the attached TVs.

Getting There
DTM21

Hi. I have Sky HD downstairs with the wire coming out of RF 2 which then goes straight upstairs to the 2nd TV which comes out the wall socket, into the magic eye and into the 2nd TV. I'm not getting any red light to the magic eye however I am getting the picture from downstairs. My remote upstairs changes the channel downstairs but not upstairs through the magic eye. The remote has no impact. Please help, in idiot guide many thanks
Super User
Mark39

Have you set the RF Output power 'on' in your Sky box settings? You can check by plugging the magic eye directly into the RF2 socket. If the red power LED lights, your Sky box is set correctly and the magic eye is working. If there's no red light, turn on the RF Output Power by keying Services,0,0,1,Select -> RF Output on your remote.

Once you've checked this and the red light is ok, replace the magic eye in the upstairs TV. If the red power LED still doesn't light, there's a break in the DC circuit somewhere between the RF2 socket of your Sky box and the magic eye. As you have a good picture, the most likely cause is the wall socket. They often contain a component which blocks the 9v DC but allows the picture signal to pass. The solution is to replace it with a DC passthrough type wallplate.

Getting There
DTM21

Hi Mark

I went through the RF set up as initially I couldn't see the sky channel at all. The RF output was already set to ON and I noted the channel number as 68. I put the second tv on channel 68 and then got sound and images but just no control or light up from the magic eye.
The eye was working a few weeks ago and just stopped on day, think when I was unplugging it to put my new tv in. I've since bought a new eye from Tesco today but its having the same problem, no light or control.

Ill check the wall socket, I remember altering it when I first used the eye to allow it to work, as you said a lot of wall sockets tend to prevent the use.

My father in law is an electrician so will ask him to check the power source from it as it seems to be lacking the power, unless you think it might be something else or have another way around it

Best wishes
Super User
Mark39

If it was working ok before using the same wallplate arrangement, that's unlikely to be the problem. Do try the magic eye in the back of the Sky box, irrespective of whether the menu shows it as being set on.

Getting There
DTM21

Sorted! This is what I did

The light came on when I plugged directly into RF 2 so I knew there was power. I was also getting a picture and sound.

I took the RF socket out striped the cable back joined the copper rod to the extension wire leading to the HD box and ensured the foil/copper strands were touching the extension cables copper strands to make a direct strong connection.

I then did the same to the upstairs RF socket and I got a brilliant picture, sound, light on the LED and remote function.

Stange how it worked previously but just on day packed in until I did the above, even when I had the HD coming through previously on another tv, just stopped when I put my new digital tv in for some reason.
I even sorted the RF sockets out when I first set it up on the separator and worked for years - mystery

Thanks for all your help though matey