Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
mkhatri

sky box won't come out of standby!

Hi, our sky box was working fine yesterday after we came back from holiday but then during the day it suddenly stopped. The box went onto standby mode by itself and we're unable to take it out of it! I have tried 2-3 times switching off the mains power and restarting the box but to no avail.

When trying to turn it on using the remote, the box doesn't detect the remote, I have tried directly (with nothing obscuring it) and have tried via the magic eye. The box doesn't even turn on when pressing the physical buttons on the top of the box.

The box is a Sky HD box.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Re: sky box won't come out of standby!

A little more info please - what's the make of the box, and how old is it?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
mkhatri

The box is manufactured by Thompson. I don't know where to find any further details, if you need more I would be grateful if you could assist me in how to locate this. Otherwise it's a SkyHD box as shown in adverts and about a year old.

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

The Power Supply Unit is probably dead.  Pretty common occurence on a Thomson these days.  It can be repaired by replacing capacitors on the PSU, but not by Sky.  If you phone them, the box will be replaced on a service call (£65).

Use Search function at the top of this page for more on 'Thomson PSU'.

Super User
Mark39

I agree with Kenneth. Almost certainly the PSU. If you phone Sky and tell them it's an old Thomson box you should get it replaced free of charge.

Pete+H2K

Hi,

you will only get a free replacement if the box is under warrenty or you have Sky protect.

Satcure can provide components (if you can solder), provide a replacement psu (you send yours, they send a working one in return) or recommend a repairer. prices ranging from £15 to £30.

If you call sky then your likely be charged £65 for a replacement (not new) and you will loose all your recordings.

Cheers

Pete.

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)