Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
Paul+Carter+...
Accepted Solution

io link not working magic eye

I have recently upgraded to a 2tb with no rf output to link two extra tvs so advised to purchase a io link which works but the magic eye does not light up which suggests a voltage deficiency,I am being told to try another magic eye as not all are compatible.I can only turn the extra tv up and down on the volume and switch on and off the power.I cannot switch channels bring up a menu etc??

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Have you switched on the RF Output Power in your Sky box...

Have you switched on the RF Output Power in your Sky box settings? (Services,0,0,1,Select on your remote). If you have, try disconnecting the coax cable to one of the TVs - does the magic eye connected to the other one then light up? If it does, then you're right, there's not enough power from the IOLink to operate two magic eyes. If the power LED isn't lit, then no you won't be able to remotely control the Sky box, you'll only be able to control the TV it's connected to.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
Paul+Carter+...

Re: Have you switched on the RF Output Power in your Sky box...

Hi Mark39
I only have one magic eye the other is just on a splitter.I will try all you have said and post back my findings.Thanks
Contributor
Paul+Carter+...

Re: Have you switched on the RF Output Power in your Sky box...

Tried all you said Mark 39 even tried a new magic eye as advised by Sky but still no light coming on the eye? Is there anything I can use to boost the power or just call it a day and revert back to my original Sky plus hd box??
Super User
Mark39

Paul+Carter+ wrote: "Tried all you said Mark 39 even trie...

Paul+Carter+ wrote: "Tried all you said Mark 39 even tried a new magic eye as advised by Sky but still no light coming on the eye?"

Plug the magic eye directly into the RF output socket of the IO Link. If it still doesn't light, there's no power from the Sky box. Try restarting your Sky box (switch it off at the mains and wait 5 minutes before switching on again) and re-checking that the RF Output Power is set on.

If the magic eye does light when plugged into the IO Link, then you have a break in the circuit somewhere between the output of the IO Link and where you normally have the magic eye connected. Remove all splitters etc so that you have a straight connection from Link to magic eye, and check that all the connecting plugs are correctly fitted; the centre stiff wire of the coax cable must be soldered or screwed to the centre pin of every plug - a crimped or 'push' fit, isn't sufficient.

Contributor
Paul+Carter+...

Re: Paul+Carter+ wrote: "Tried all you said Mark 39 even trie...

Thank you for the advice.I plugged the magic eye directly in to the io unit and it lit up.My connections are all good up until swapping to a 2tb box it all worked perfectly.Is there a power drop from box to second tv?
That is my only theory any ideas please.Thanks
Super User
Mark39

Paul+Carter+ wrote: ".Is there a power drop from box to s...

Paul+Carter+ wrote: ".Is there a power drop from box to second tv?"

All cable has a small resistance which will reduce the power the magic eye receives, hence my previous suggestion that you remove all splitters etc. so that the cable from the IO Link is straight through to one magic eye as a test. From previous forum posts, the IO Link does appear to output less current than the RF2 socket on earlier Sky boxes, which makes it unlikely that it would be able to power more than one magic eye.

Contributor
Paul+Carter+...

Re: Paul+Carter+ wrote: ".Is there a power drop from box to s...

Checked all connections and eliminated the splitter.

Still no light to the magic eye from 2tb box in the living room to TV in the bedroom.

It must be a voltage deficiency as previously stated the eye works plugged in to the 2tb box directly at the side of it via the io link.

The new 2tb is a step backwards if you want to link it to other TVs as I have with the Sky plus box with no problems .

Its all down to the rf output being eliminated from the new boxes that's causing a lot of problems for users.

Sky need to bring back the old rf output or boost the voltage from the io output????

All this to encourage multi room subscription in my opinion. 

Contributor
Paul+Carter+...

Magic eye problem

Hi

Will re-tuning the additional tv make a difference to whether the magic eye works or not or is that just for picture quality?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor
ditsum

Re: Magic eye problem

I had the same problem - it's due to the lack of power from the I/O Port.

The only solution is to get Sky to swap your 2TB STB for one with antenna input and two RF Outputs.

Contributor
Paul+Carter+...

Thanks for the info .Someone suggested a tri link fitting ? Not sure how far to go just to get back what I had before I upgraded my box
Contributor
Paul+Carter+...

Did you have to return your other box too?
Retired Staff Member
Fraser-H

Re: io link not working magic eye

Good afternoon Paul+Carter+...,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch to let us know the problems you have encountered in trying to use your magic eye.

I am sorry to read that what you have tried thus far has been of no use to you and can imagine the frustration which you must be feeling as a result of this. Can you let me know if it makes any difference when trying to use just one magic eye as opposed to the 2 you have connected at the moment?

If you can get back to us whenever you can.

Thanks 

Contributor
Paul+Carter+...

Hello as written in my second post I only have one magic eye and the second tv is on a splitter. I have concluded its a voltage drop between the box and the eye upstairs as the new 2tb are not emiting enough power in my opinion? My original hd plus box works fine as it has rf output and not IO?
Retired Staff Member
Fraser-H

Hey Paul+Carter+...,

Thanks for getting back to us and for clarifying this. 

Can you let us know if you have been in touch with us over the phone about this since you posted originally? If so, what were you advised?

Please get back to me whenever you get a chance.

Thanks