Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
nells

insufficient credit on viewing card

Hi all,  had quite a few problems with on demand to begin with, trying to buy a film in sky store for my son to watch during the school holidays but constantly getting an error message saying 'insufficient credit on viewing card', called and online chatted numerous times and they said to wait for 4 hours each time but still never altered.  Eventually i called and they upped the limit on my viewing card and it worked great, managed to buy 4 films over a 2 week period and all was great.  Then yesterday paid my bill and this morning tried to buy a film for my son again and im back to square one, insufficient credit on viewing card, sick of private chat and ringing sky to sort this out, just paid another bill and still getting this message, sort it out please as i am seriously thinking of joining another provider as this is happening regularly now.  Surely when bills are paid on time and credit limit has been increased there shouldnt be any problems... tonight i have a poorly child, who is wanting to watch a film from sky store due to not sleeping very well and i cant buy one for him, could someone from sky please sort this out...Please

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Re: insufficient credit on viewing card

Have a read of this:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-SkyHD-Sky-3D/Sky-HD-quot-There-is-insufficient-credit-left-on-you...

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
dsyzling

I'd like to add this to topic/question. I too am receiving the same message, however my sky box has recently had a software upgrade that suggests movies can now be payi for via the internet connection - so we no longer need the phone line to order box office or pay per view movies. My credit limit is 0 and the help desk claim they cannot edit the credit limit, supposedly this limit resets back to 0 - i.e. not even a default £35 limit. My sky box is not plugged into the phone line and frankly never will be. Will my box now make callbacks over the internet and will this as has been suggested in other messages take 3 months (one unsolicited call a month) to resolve? Or is a phone line still required for this function?

I can't believe this issue cannot be resolved and a company makes it difficult to take my money for movies (which is going to Apple right now), surely my box is now connected to the internet and has been for the last 5 days it could quite have easily uploaded all credit information and sky would be able to see that I've never ordered a single pay per view event (this function has just never worked).

So do I wait 3 months and see if the problem clears, is there anyone at sky who actually knows how this stuff should work (since help desk clearly don't) and can advise me. Or do I look elsewhere for movies, may be start reviewing BT and Virgin?

Contributor
dsyzling

Answering my own question temporarily, I will try the following resolution tonight and see if this clears the issue for me:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/On-Demand-Catch-Up-TV/Sky-store-purchase-over-broadband-without-phone-li...

Contributor
dsyzling

Well this solution doesn't appear to work for me. The 'New Install' option requests that I connect my box to a phone line. However it appears I am running the most recent sfotware version: r008.063.72.00p

Retired Staff Member
shaun-k

Hey dsyzling,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Can you tell me if you've ever had Multiscreen or more than one Sky box in your house?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Shaun-K
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Contributor
dsyzling

No I do not have multi-room jus the single skybox.

I have performed all the steps outlined here and performed a manual callback over the telephone line:

Another thread noted that to resolve this situation they performed a 'new install' but it wasn't clear whether this was connected to the telephone line with the new software. For me this didn't work I had to connect the phone line.

I have confirmed I can access interactive services - billing information over the internet (no phone connection).

I still receive the insufficient credit information when accessing the sky store however.

I do not know which one (or more) of these applies:

- After a manual callback will it take a number of days for the billing information and my credit to register, note I've never ordered a pay per view event, this has never worked.
- My bill is due 3rd Dec so will my box now (with updated software) callback over the internet and clear this situation
- Will my box now have to make 3 unsolicited callbacks to resolve this situation
- Do I need to talk to someone at sky to edit my credit limit, currently it's 0 and they claim they can't change it
- I'm still not certain that this software update actually performs the callback over the internet, there are claims that this does occur and you do not need a telephone line to order sky store movies anymore. On another thread I've confirmed I have the following software release and model number:
Model number r008.063.72.00p
Version 9f3003

Retired Staff Member
shaun-k

Thanks dyyzling.

To perform the callback you need to be connected to a telephone line. I'd advise it may be best to leave it connected to the telephone line for the following 3 months afterwards then you can disconnect the telephone cable. This will help us make sure that all credit information has returned form your viewing card and should allow you to go back to using Sky Store through the internet connection. 

If you need anything else just give me a shout. 

Thanks,

Shaun-K
Community Coordinator

Contributor
dsyzling

Thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid it's impractical to leave it plugged into the telephone line. I've been waiting for sky to resolve this 'problem' of requiring a telephone connection so that I can just order the odd movie from time to time. This latest software release has been touted as resolving this issue - 'order movies without a telephone connection'.  I've not made a fuss before because I know I'm using the box outside of the parameters defined, until now - supposedly.

I can't believe it's so complicated to transfer billing information reliably - we are talking a tiny piece of information over 20gb pipe. My box is now permenantly connected to the internet it has the perfect conduit to update a billing system anytime it likes. Seriously it can still only do this over a telephone and it will take 3 months? Come on, am I the only one that finds this utterly absurd and I can't be the first  to question the 'design' of this approach.

I'd even settle for ordering the movie online via the web site - in the same way I can manually telephone sky - just without the £1 extra charge.

Please do not think I'm attacking you, I appreciate your reply and help, I just wish I could speak to someone who definitively knows how this software works - because right now it's all hearsay, might resolve itself in 3 months, not sure whether the callback is going over the internet, but if it uses the phone it can then resolve itself. Why can it not just resolve itself now - it's no less secure to send my credit purchases (a big fat £0) over the internet - in fact I would expect it's faster and more reliable.

Well it's going to stay plugged into the internet and unplugged from the telephone, if billing information can be uploaded it will be over the next 3 months, but clearly Sky don't need or want my money. Apple will continue to get revenue for the first run films until this is resolved.

Retired Staff Member
shaun-k

Hi dsyzling,

The problem that you are having is because you have insufficient credit on your viewing card. If your credit limit was set to its default £35 limit then we would not need the box connected to a telephone line for 3 months. It takes 3 consecutive monthly callback to then reset your credit limit, once this is done the telephone line can be disconnected. If you are unable to connect the line to the box for this period the credit limit will never reset which means you wont have access to purchasing PPV. 

We don't support the facility to book Sky Store movies from your MySky account yet. It's a good idea, so I will pass this feedback onto our Sky Store development team.

Thanks, 

Shaun-K
Community Coordinator

Contributor
dsyzling

Thanks.

The box is connected to the internet and it should be capable of uploading that information over the next 3 months - in my view of course, it sounds like it doesn't support this.

May be another suggestion would be that this issue could be resolved 'out of band' - i.e. one of the following:

- my credit limit can be reset (with certain privilage/permission) at the Sky end and I can start ordering movies over the internet.

- a feature that allows this issue to be resolved over the internet, sync the credit limit from the card and update the system.

- Sky send me a new viewing card and we start from scratch, I then return my existing card and they can check that I haven't spent any credit and they can resolve the payment.

I still think this is in Sky's interest to be able to resolve this situation, they are losing money, and everytime they phone me asking me to upgrade to sky movies I keep telling them, I just want to order movies out of the sky store and I'm incapable of doing so. 

Retired Staff Member
shaun-k

Hey dyyzling,

We don't support the option to retain the credit information with the box being only connected to the internet. I can pass feedback onto our On Demand development team but we have no immediate plans of integrating this into the functionality of the Sky+HD box.

The credit limit of your viewing card would only be reset at our end under exceptional circumstances. Not having your telephone line connected to your Sky+HD box due to practicality issues would not fall under exceptional circumstances.

Thanks

Shaun-K
Community Coordinator

Contributor
dsyzling

What if I didn't have a home phone line because I'm upgrading to a fibre connection for internet and no longer have a use for it?

Retired Staff Member
shaun-k

Because we don't have the 3 consecutive monthly callbacks we would not reset your credit limit and send a new viewing card. We need to retain the credit information from your current viewing card and the only way we can do this is by the getting the callbacks.

Shaun-K
Community Coordinator

Contributor
dsyzling

Sorry again I'm not attacking you with any of these comments or trying to be facetious, but following through the logic of this system:

I've had sky for 3-4 years with no callbacks which means the monetary exposure is £0-£35 whatever you set the initial credit to. Well actually I've made a manual call back - and Sky's system knows that I have 0 credit - or doesn't it believe 1 callback - surely that process is reliable and with internet movie ordering, entirely redundant moving forward. So one single manual forwarding of this credit information should be sufficient - again product enhancement to resolve this situation.

Secondly I cancel Sky I go elsewhere - Sky don't get  their monetary exposure. 

So how much do they care or think that the credit exposure is important? Since the design facilitates loss of exposure without any chasing. Or sky know their exposure is 0 since there is no record of me ever recording or watching a PPV event/product.

It also facilitates me not being able to spend more money with Sky - when I clearly want to, something that if I was on the board I would have a major issue with.

Why in this case a manual, single callback to resolve the credit situation is not sufficient whilst we move forward into the brave 'new' world of the internet is beyond me.

I don't even plug my phone into the landline anymore, it's just not needed, there are so many more effective forms of communication,  how long before this ceases to become relevant - another year, 2? . Fibre products not requiring a landline to function and yet if I keep the same viewing card I still won't be able to order a pay per view product.