Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
blaxley

download time on Demand service is very slow.

Have recently set up the TV for on Demand service - the signal is fine on the wireless connection but the down load time is very slow - took 4 hours for only 36% of a 40 minute programme - any ideas?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
kirsty+d

Re: download time on Demand service is very slow.

Hi blaxley,

Thanks for getting in touch with the Sky Help Forum.

How have you set the service up, is it wireless or by ethernet? What sort of speed are you receiving on your Broadband and how many devices do you have running from it?

These are all factors that can affect the download time of on-demand content and it would be helpful to have this additional information.

Regards,
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
Eddie+P

I recently got the new sky+ HD box with Modem socket on the back.

The old box had Anytime - I could watch a wide range of films and shows instantly.

Now, the new On-Demand system is virtually useless as an 'on demand' service.

My line internet line is 2MB. Modem is connected to box via Ethernet cable.

A typical film is 4.3 GB. Theorectically, it would take 40 mins to download.

But, it actually takes 4 hours.

Hardly 'On demand'.

The Showcase tab (instant films) give me choice of only 4 films.

I prefer the previous box for which i could choice from perhaps 40 films or shows instantly.

Is this what Sky call progress?

Visitor
Caz-LDS

Hi, I'm having same problem. Recently upgraded to Sky+, installation done by engineer. Box connected via yellow Ethernet cable. We have 1 laptop working off the box in addition to Sky+. I don't know how to check my Broadband speed but its via Sky so hopefully you can find that out.

Paid to watch X Men at 3pm today for Sunday family film. It's 3.2GB and 2.5hrs later the download is only 26% complete.

Is this 'normal'?

Contributor
Daveyboy75

Had On Demand installed on Saturday and have to agree that it is very, very slow to download.  Even a basic 1/2 hour programme takes about 1/2 an hour to download - compare this to the relatively fast download speeds of my pc / mobile phone, which use the same Sky broadband wireless router.  If the movies are in the region of 3gb (which is a sizeable chunk of data), I think your best option is to jump in the car, drive to Blockbuster and rent the film you want - it would be less time consuming. 

I think On Demand should be rebranded to "On Demand.... assuming your demand is to watch your programme a few days from now".  All I can say is, good job it's a free service.

Community Coordinator
Robert-B

Hi everyone,

To clarify a few points, any downloads from On Demand will be dependant on your download speed, it may take longer than others to fully download if your broadband speed is quite low. You should be able to start viewing the content after a few minutes though unless it is in HD which may take a bit longer.

The showcase tab in On Demand is recorded content stored already in allocated space on the hard drive so does not require downloading. If you have just received your box this can take up to a week to fill up.

If you're a Sky broadband customer and have slow speeds and know it should be faster, please try our broadband speed diagnostics tool to see if you can improve this.

If you are with any other broadband provider I would advise to contact them directly for troubleshooting help.

Thanks

Robert-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Frequent Visitor
Dave1803

I am having very similar problems.  My Broadband is working fine and provides approx 7MB of download speed, and my Sky HD box is connected to the router via a direct wired ethernet connection.  Replays from my PC or tablet using iPlayer, SkyGo, ITVPlayer all work fine and replay typically commences within a few seconds of pressing play.  Bandwidth tests show I have a fully working broadband connection.

However on the Sky HD box, it can take several hours before a film or programme played using On Demand can be played back - a standard definition film I tried to put on for the kids yesterday evening took 3 hours to download (it was only a 1.5 hour film!).  The film wouldn't replay at all until it was 100% downloaded.  Sometimes it works okay, but during peak periods on Demand is now next to useless . 

Another symptom I have seen is that the slower the download speed, the higher percentage of the programme that needs to be downloaded before playback begins.  This seems totally backwards, as it just further delays playback when the system is running slow.  Is this a ploy on Sky's part to get users to abort playbacks during busy periods and avoid clogging up the service? Or is this simply a poorly implemented algorithm in the Sky Box itself which is attempting to delay replay to ensure that the programme can be played to completion once its started?  If so its a very flawed approach as it currently stands as from what I can tell, if a programme needs longer to download than the replay duration of the programme itself, replay is prevented until the entire programme has been downloaded.    And when the On Demand service is running like a dog (which recently seems to be often), this seems to happen for every single film attempted.

I've also had issues recently with the On Demand service being either totally unavailable or available intermittently (on the netowork setup screen, the broadband service is shown as up but the Sky service is shown as down - you can even sit on that screen and watch it coming and going).  Whilst this is happening, my broadband is all up and working and providing a perfect service for other devices on the network.

Given these issues are 100% definitely not associated with an issue with my broadband connection, and given this gets worse at busy times (evenings in particular), I can only assume this is a problem at the Sky end of the On Demand service.  Come on Sky - this isn't rocket science - other providers can provide a speedy and reliable service.  Please invest what needs to be invested in your network/servers in order to get this service back up to par.  Your customers are currently paying a great deal of money for what is at present a very shoddy service.

Until Sky can sort this out, On Demand has effectively become a total waste of time - perhaps its time to give NetFlix a go or Love Film a go?  It costs a lot less than the movies package, and would appear to not be plagued by these horrible performance issues and service drop outs.

Contributor
Milton+Keynes

It’s my experience that the latest wireless adaptor downloads HD programmes slower but I don’t know why.

Up until last week I had the previous Sky adaptor and it would download and have available for viewing an HD programme in 5 minutes.

I upgraded to the latest model below because I was expecting it to download  even quicker because it was an 802.11n rather than “g” but I have found it  not to be so.

On my broadband 7Mbps connection the new adaptor is taking 1½ hours to download 50% of an hours programme before it will let me watch it.    With Sky’s previous wireless router I was able to watch an HD programme while it was being downloaded in 5-6 minutes.

I would say though that the picture quality of the HD download is better with the new adaptor and I’m getting less picture and sound dropouts so as I have an unlimited broadband contract I’m going to stick with it!.

Contributor
Daveyboy75

Actually, can Sky confirm the upload rate for their wireless adapter / Sky+ box?  All the talk from Sky seems to be about users internet speeds, but I'm considering changing from Sky's 1.5mb/s to BT Infinity's 57mb/s, however this would be pointless if the Sky equipment can't handle such high speeds.  Ideally, can sky confirm what download times they would expect for a film based on 57mb/s?

Frequent Contributor (Bronze)
DealtWith

I had the old wireless G adapter for 6 months a recently got the new N adapter. I have 100mbps Internet and the signal was much higher with the new connector and the download speed faster.

All of a sudden today, the speed has dropped at a huge rate. Previously, a 1gb movie would take 9 minutes, at moment, 500mb is going up 1% every minute.That cant be right.

I plugged the connector into my laptop via Ethernet and the speed is very good (37mbps), so this cannot be a broadband or connector issue, this has to be something to do with sky servers. All other wireless is working as normal in my house. Bbc iplayer got launched today, and my guess is too many people using service, or at least,it has to be on sky's end, as I said, the broadband and connector are fine.

Some people are having these issues using a wired connection too. Not good at all , hope sky deal with this.

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Dave1803,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

Can you let me know who your broadband provider is and if the router is connected to the master telephone socket of the home or an extension socket?

For more information about download times for On Demand service, this information can be found here.

Thanks,

Anne
Community Coordinator

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Milton+Keynes,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Has anything changed since you have changed from the old wireless connector to the new one? Have you noticed any change in your broadband, being slower etc?

Thanks,

Anne
Community Coordinator

Frequent Visitor
Dave1803

[ Edited ]

Hi

My broadband provider is BE. This is an uncapped service with no traffic profiling or bandwidth management.  The router is a netgear thats doing a sterling job, and is plugged straight into the master socket.  The broadband connection is rock-solid.  The Sky Box has a direct wired ethernet connection to the router, which provides a perfect Internet service - I've even tried connecting a PC to the same cable the Sky Box normally uses and the connection is perfect.

I am an IT engineer and am perfectly capable of diagnosing network problems.  I can confirm 100% that this issue is absolutely nothing to do with my broadband service, which is perfectly fine, provides excellent service,even when the Sky On Demand service is playing up.  Even when On Demand is running at a snails-pace, all other network services available over the Internet (iPlayer, and even the Sky Go PC app) continue to work perfectly. 

This issue is intermittent, but is far worse during peak viewing times in the evening.  As such, its very unlikley to be an issue with the sky box, as it has no more work to do during peak viewing times than first thing in the morning.  Thus I find it very hard to believe that the issue could be related the sky box either. 

I've proven the issue is not with my network, I've proven its not an issue with my broadband connection, and its inconceivable that a fault in the sky box would only manifest during peak viewing times.  As such the problem simply must lie at Sky's end of the service.  Once everything else is eliminated this is all that is left.

I think its really disingenuous of Sky to attempt to pass the buck and blame their customer's broadband connections when they have issues such as this.  I've seen this in responses to similar posts from other customers, and I've already explained that my broadband connection is fine in my previous post, so implying otherwise isn't helpful. Sorry, but thats I how feel about this.

Come on Sky, man-up, and at least admit there 'could' be a problem with your service, and take the necessary steps to fix it ASAP. If you can't bring yourselves to admit any kind of fault exists, then at least take steps to quietly fix the problem in secret :smileyhappy:

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Daveyboy75,

First of all I would like to apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

I am not too sure about this therefore I have asked a couple of my colleagues to see if it is something that we can find out for you.

As soon as we hear back, we will let you know.

Thanks,
Anne
Community Coordinator

Contributor
Milton+Keynes

Many thanks for your reply Anne.  How nice to hear from you. I wasn’t expecting any response because I wasn’t really raising an issue more a case of adding my tuppence into the discussion.

Nothing is different about my set up at all since I’ve replaced the previous Sky Wireless Connector with the latest model.  My Broadband provider is PlusNet and my router is the Technicolor 582N and I’m getting about 7Mbps into my location at all times.

I was just commenting that I thought the time for programmes being downloaded "On Demand" were taking longer to be available to watch with the latest Sky Connector than with the previous Sky Connector  which I connected to the 1TB in March. I’m aware of this because I have the notify me when ready to watch option enabled on my HD box.

What was a 1-2% HD downloading on the previous Sky Wireless Connector which was available to watch in 2-3 minutes is now a 40-50% download with the latest connector before it allows you to watch a downloading programme which is being recorded.  

The download time for both connectors might be the same but the access to watch immediately has changed from very quickly to 35-45 minutes.

Hope this helps