Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
androidsky

android + root = no sky go

Subject says it all, looks like an uninstall :smileysad: - unless I'm proven wrong

I've read that a jailbroken iphone's ok, and I would suspect that a pc/laptop using flaky software, but an android phone with root permissions is way to underhand... sigh

ಠ_ಠ

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Re: android + root = no sky go

Hi androidsky,

Unfortunately we are unable to support rooted devices as this breaches the contractual agreements we have with our content providers.  This also goes for Apple devices which have had their software modified.

Thanks,

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
KingfisherUK

But the app has been working on Jailbroken Apple products right up until you released the Android app. Then all of a sudden it's not ok.

So your contracts with 3rd party content providers suddenly changed the minute Android became involved did it?

There is also a BIG difference between "not supported" and "won't work". Be honest, your SkyGo app for Android won't work on a rooted device.

My device is rooted so that I can use it's full potential with additional apps/software. This is NOT illegal and the phone manufacturers do NOT have a problem with it as long as you don't mind invalidating your warranty (which mine is well past anyway).

Now, all of a sudden Sky tell me that because they cannot write and release a secure application (which Netflix, iPlayer and even major banks seem to be capable of without worrying about the user having root access), I cannot use their service unless I limit the capabilities of MY (not THEIR, like the Sky box) device.

Please stop treating your customers like simpletons. It is abundantly clear that the majority of people commenting on this forum know what they are talking about and cannot (indeed WILL not) accept being fobbed off. Just for once, give us some straight and honest information, and actually answer the questions being asked.

I am not a Sky employee, any opinions in my posts are entirely my own.

KingfisherUK,

Excellent comment, and with many questions thar I'm sure Sky either will not, or can not, answer for fear of making themselves look stupid. I too have a rooted android phone (an HTC Desire which SkyGo supposedly works on), and I have waited for ages for this app to turn up, only to find that I cant actually use it!

In the 18 months of having this phone, this is the only app of any type that I have seen that restricts people using it due to root access.

Not cool, Sky, not cool.
Contributor
Zammo76

Get on XDA developers forums they've already managed to put up a work around that gets Sky Go running on unsupported phones.

Super User
KingfisherUK

That's all well and good, but:

a) Mine IS a supported phone (HTC Desire), but I have had the temerity to root it and run a custom ROM

b) Neither the Official Sky version OR the XDA version work on my phone, I only get Sky News on both.

Believe me, I appreciate the efforts of the guys on XDA and I am testing their version and contributing when and where I can, but this does not change the fact that Sky have MASSIVELY (and I feel that is an understatement!) misjudged their "valued" community on this.

The fact that the Android community can make such progress in less than 48 hours given how long Sky have been developing this app is a pretty damning indictment of their efforts.

I am not a Sky employee, any opinions in my posts are entirely my own.

[ Edited ]

kingfisheruk,

you are 100% correct about this waste of space app. now according to sky they taken this long on the app and can only get it to work on a limited number of phones says a lot to me. the reasons they keep coming up with is a joke and are not correct. this at the end of the day is sky controlling who can us their app and nothing else, they know what the android market is like and chose to ignore it for some reason or other, to which they will just ignore customers on here.

iechyd da

PS

I'm on a final warning from the advisor's on this forum for saying bad things about sky and this android app so if this post is pulled and i disappear you know why.

Occasional Visitor
customerscum

Well that's done it for me over priced tv services, waste of space internet connections and routers,
Terrible customer service, over priced phone bills and now useless mobile applications
I'm going back to BT can't believe they conned me into buying this
rubbish service.
Retired Staff Member
GregorA

[ Edited ]

Good afternoon,

I know this is frustrating circumstances, however I would still like to welcome you to the Sky Forum.

Can you tell us more about the problems you're having at the moment? This is so we can assist further.

We look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards.

Visitor
Forza+man

[ Edited ]

The problem is you are favouring and easy platform IOS!!!!!!!! IPHONES/IPADS have always got first, you can do more with Android and it is also as I have found MORE stable then IOS

Rooting is not ILLEGAL, as android is a Linux based system and Linux has a rooted user that has always been avalibale to its users, people just have to know how to get to it, and most people that program do!

I have a rooted and unrooted device both your SUPPOSED SUPPORTED devices and get the message when I login on both DEVICE UNSUPPORTED, but then my UNSUPPORTED Arnova 10 G2 tablet work with the XDAs Version fine, so what can they do that you can't ?????? :smileyfrustrated:

I have been a SKY customer for YEARS, SORT IT OUT!

Senior Member (Bronze)
paul1360

Forza,

Waste of your time as you will not get an answer, There are over 150 question's on this forum that have been asked but have not been answered. Sky either goes into ignore mode or if they say nothing it will go away. Childish stupid farce joke all come to mind also when they attempt to answer you will get the stock reply with those famous words Contract Content Provider which says a lot and nothing at all at the same time, also they have added a new 1 the other day Security Measures. As for other devices being added to Sky go for android instead of doing this they are working flat out trying to undo what the guys at xda have done, really looking after their customers.

iechyd da

Visitor
Forza+man

I thinkk the only thing they will understand is customer votinng with the feet and go else where. What can bbc, ITV do that sky find so hard?
Occasional Visitor
steveuk80

on a subject that seems to be some sort of joke for sky, I was told the android app for skygo would be in winter, before 25th December this then changed to February, WELL DONE you finally released it BUT only certain phones, CONGRATULATIONS for the B......t you keep coming out with YOU ARE EITHER GOING TO RELEASE FOR ALL ANDROID THAT IS WHY IT TOOK SO LONG TO CREATE, BUT NO, forget i do not want to use your servies at all anymore

Occasional Visitor
hick230

I absolutely agree Forza+man, everything you said is true. IOS is favored by sky (and most companies) and android is put on the back shelve

this is a absolute disgrace for sky. 

Sky go for PC, MAC & Iphone was release around July 2011. the android version was released in Feb 2012. Why the long delay ????

Netflix was released in the UK on Jan 2012 and offers a PC, MAC, IPHONE, IPAD & ANDROID app (which works with rooted phones). If netflix can work on rooted devices why can't sky go ??

Occasional Visitor
offolly

I have just rung sky and am moving to cable, im not paying for somethink I cant use, sky is mugging us off, and im going to make it my mission to get all my family to do the same sky buy, ya not mugging me off any more with your lies and storys, im sick it sky and sick of being 2nd to the slow laggy ipad,