Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
speedo801

Wireless slow

I previously wrote and received the below, but since have not got any further replies, can anyone please help??
Can you tell me if there is any way to speed up my wireless connection. I believe wired is fine, it's wireless that's the prob. I'm on 40mb fibre. These are my stats

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN MER 6221 12797 0 0 0 0:08:12
LAN Up 237 36 0 999 0 0:08:26
WLAN Up 13912 7068 0 8200 1863 0:08:05
Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 39992 kbps 2000 kbps
Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)
Kudo 0
Damien-SW (Senior Member (Gold))
May 14
couple of questions

how many device are conencted via wifi and by connect I don't mean being used but if you leave you PC on connect via wifi but not activly using that still cound as connected.

and

have you tried changing the wifi channel
Accept as Solution
Kudo 1
speedo801 (Member)
May 14
I Occasionally use my lap top via wireless but that is usually switched off.
My iPhone and wife's iPhone are connected as well as the tv with is wireless, then you just have the sky hd box connected (via a wired connection) but come to think about it even that is very slow when downloading a programme. Just for reference, I updated a sat nav app on my phone last night and that was running at 1.8mps and no other device was in use.
Accept as Solution
Kudo 0
speedo801 (Member)
May 14
My current channel is set at 6.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Re: Wireless slow

Hi speed0801,

I am going to try and get more information about this matter you're having at the moment. Also can you confirm if you have been in contact with us at any point to discuss these matters?

Regards.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi speedo801,

We have received some feedback to your issue.

When using wireless over fibre, you may need to look at the network adapter you're using and also the encryption settings in the router as it will have an effect on the speed that you see.

I suggest at this stage that if you can, try a device with an N rated adaptor and then ensure the encryption is set to WPA2PSK – AESin the router settings and this will allow the fastest speeds.

Let us know how you get on and we look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards.

Occasional Visitor
Number4Jumper

Hi I am getting the same issue I am currently using channel 13 and only get 28 mbps. Wired I am getting 40mbps I currently have 2 laptops 2 iphones and 1 i pad connected wirelessly. Any help would be appreciated

Visitor
Togsie

I don't know if this will help anyone, and I've no idea how it worked, but I'll share my slow WiFi experience just in case.

I have the new Sky router and Sky Fibre. My normal wireless speed is around the 30mb mark. I have a LOT of kit connected both wirelessly and via wired via Homeplugs. Last night the WiFi connection seemed slow so I did a speed test and it reported 1mb. The wired connection were OK so it was definitely a WiFi issue.

I reset the router but it made no difference. I then switched of anything that was using the WiFi connection, no difference. As a last throw of the dice I changed my SSID to something random and did another speed test and it was back to it's normal 30mb. I then reverted to my original SSID and my WiFi speed remained at 30mb.

Community Coordinator
Ross-M

Hey Number4Jumper,

Great to hear from you and sorry about the delay.

Have you tried the steps advised by GregorA? Have you tried anything else that has helped? 

Can you let me know if you have devices connected to your router via wired connection and what speed are they getting when you have this issue with wireless?

Let me know please?

Thanks,

Ross
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Community Coordinator
Ross-M

Hey Togsie,

Great to hear from you and great to see what has worked for you and sharing this with the community for others to try.

Can you tell me have you experienced this issue again or has this completely resolved this for you?

Let me know please?

Thanks,

Ross
Community Coordinator

Visitor
Togsie

Ross-M wrote:

Hey Togsie,

Great to hear from you and great to see what has worked for you and sharing this with the community for others to try.

Can you tell me have you experienced this issue again or has this completely resolved this for you?

Let me know please?

Thanks,

So far so good.

Community Coordinator
Ross-M

Togsie that's great to see i hope this continues on well and you continue to enjoy your service.

Thanks for your assistance :smileyhappy:.

Ross
Community Coordinator