Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Rob+Andre
Accepted Solution

Wireless signal booster

Hi, I have had the latest Netgear Sky router for over a year now. It is situated in my office downstairs and connected direct to my main computer, so no problems there. However the signal strength from the router is not great. When my wife is on her laptop in the lounge she struggles to get 1 or 2 bar strenth. There are two walls in the way, however we had no issues with our previous router (The BT white one) which incidentally had an external aerial.

Now I have upgraded and bought a new sky HD box with an additional Netgear router for Sky Anytime +. The problem is, this also struggles to find connection from my Sky router. We have tried all the channels and all the settings and whilst minimal improvemnt is achieved it is still not satisfactory. So, my question is, can I use any type of signal booster as this would be my only option as far as I can see. My router has to remain in my office as it is imperative that my main computer is wired in for fast connectivity as I often have the luxury of working from home.

Can anybody help me? A friend of mine also had the same problems with his new black BT hub (with no aerial). He has just bought a Zoom 4402 router / repeater. He has connected that onto his BT hub and now gets a full strength. Is this something I can do with my Sky router?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
MadMaxPR

Re: Wireless signal booster

Hi,

you should be able to connect most other routers and wireless APs without much of an issue as long as there lan settings are correct.
I have my wireless running off my old BT router in the other room and just have a network cable between the 2 routers.

Regards,
Mark
If this post has helped you in anyway please click the Kudos thumbs up button to thank me.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Rob+Andre

Re: Wireless signal booster

Excellent, thank you.

Kind regards

Rob