Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
bethany7

Wireless phone line extender: error 106

Hi, As we have a large house, the phone line is nowhere near our sky boxes. We were advised by the sky engineer to purchase the RTX phone line extenders, which we did and we installed them. However, nothing we do can make them work. The callback that the engineer instructed me to do with new install seems to work fine, but I cannot access Sky Active, getting only an error 106. I am tired of phoning Sky expensive numbers, and am even more annoyed that I was advised to buy these devices that don't even seem to work! Can anyone help? Thanks.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Re: Wireless phone line extender: error 106

Have you tried using the extender with a phone at the Sky end, rather than the Sky box?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
bethany7

No, I haven't. It's not my house and I don't think the owners would appreciate me moving their phones around! I found something online about testing on qvc, which seems to work. I guess this indicates that the wireless extenders are working? Thanks.
Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi bethany7,

I see you were receiving assistance from a senior member of the community, which is great. I'm glad you have managed to get a workaround sorted for this.

In regards to the wireless extender's, they could be at fault, however I can't guarantee this. Have they been set-up correctly from the user manual that came with them? If you do, could you try using other ones to see if this provides the same fault?

Regards.

Visitor
TimJN1

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with the RTX phone extenders and Sky+ HD boxes.  I've got one RTX master unit and 3 slaves as I have a multi-room subscription and none of the boxes are conveniently located near a phone socket.

The extenders work fine on initial call home when doing a 'New install'. This leads me to think they are also working for the mandatory multi-room dial-home - this the most important bit I guess.

However they do NOT work with Sky Active (just get an error 106) even though they DO work with QVC interactive. This is confusing to say the least!

NB. all the above is with the little switch on the RTX slave units set to 'voice' - nothing works with it set to Modem.

Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi TimJN1,

I would like to take the time to welcome you to the Sky Help Forum.

We always recommend that you connect a telephone cable directly to the box so if you're using a different method then we would be unable to support with this.

As I previously suggested to another user, it would be worth going through the user manual to make sure it's correctly set-up.

Could you also confirm if you get the error message 106 when connected via the telephone cable?

Regards.

Visitor
TimJN1

Hi,

I've tested a wired phone connection by trailing a telephone cable down the stairs and everything works OK (Call back, Sky Active and QVC). However I can't leave a wire trailing down the stairs all the time and its not possible to put in a permanent wired connection - the Sky installer would've had to drill through multiple walls. To solve the problem I bought the RTX wireless extenders which have lots of good reviews from other people who've used them with SKy+HD boxes.

The RTX wireless phone extenders are very simple with just 2 settings V & C. (Voice and Computer). With the V setting then the Sky + HD box says that it is connected to a phone line and it DOES perform a successful callback. The QVC interative options that generate a dial-out also work OK. However the Sky Active interactive service do NOT work - you just get an error 106.

NB. I can also plug in a phone handset to the extender and make voice calls OK.

I can live with this as at least the call-back for multiroom works via the phone extenders - but it would be nice to get Sky Active working to. I'm confused why one type of SKy HD+ dial-out works but not another. I think the RTX wireless extenders are an excellent solution to the telephone wire problem if we could just solve this issue!

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi TimJN1, 

If you are unable to have a cable connected permanently, you could look into get an extension point installed by a local telephone installer so you are able to use these services. I would advise checking the Terms and Conditions of your account to see if you are required to have a phone line connected to your box (this will either be for the first 12 months of you having the box installed or if you have multiroom).

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Visitor
TimJN1

[ Edited ]

Hi, The SKY installer thought it would be an unreasonable amount of work and disruption to install wired phone extensions, and I agreed with him. He was perfectly happy that the setup using wireless extenders satisfied the T&C's as call-back works OK and the box is happy that it is connected to a phone line. The only thing that doesnt work is things like bill-checking using Sky Active. I don't understand how one function can work but not another !?

Also it seems that Bethany (in post above) was actually advised by SKY to purchase the extenders. If you can't help then fine, but I do think it is in Sky's and customers interests to have a fully workable wireless solution for those that can't have a physical phone line near their boxes.  

Tim

Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi TimJN1,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I can appreciate your feedback in regards to Sky being able to support and advise you on a wireless solution, however as we said there is certain things we cannot advise on and that's one of them.

Has anything changed in regards to the Sky Active features?

Regards.

Visitor
jgmorley

Did anyone find a solution for this? I'm also using the RTX Wireless Phone Jack phone line extender (it transmits via the power circuit in the house). I have the exact same symptoms: carried out the New Install step fine but I can't activate my subscription as the box won't connect via Sky Active. I may be able to get a long phone cable to drape through the house to do the install but I'm trying to avoid a lot of problems in getting a phone socket near where our TV is. I'd really hoped that the extender would work. Hints welcome please! I've tried unplugging all other phone devices including the ADSL modem, changing micro filters, using the BT master socket for the RTX device, making sure the RTX is on an unfiltered power socket, etc. For note, I can hear the phone network fine when I plug a handset into the slave unit of the RTX. I've tried voice and computer settings on the slave unit, no difference. It was on Computer for the New Install. Thanks!
Occasional Visitor
walpat

How ridiculous that in 2013 sky are still operating this silly system. The world has moved on. Lots of people have large houses or flats where phone lines do not reach or they do not want wires running around their newly decorated houses or, increasingly, they do not have a landline at all. We increasingly live in a wireless world. You really need to sort this out. I want and am happy to pay for sky mulitroom but I live in the country and already have maxed out on the number of line extensions. I know (because I have two not working already) that a line run into the sky box will not work. The copper wire just isn't powerful enough and in any case i do not want to run a line and mess up the house. Does it matter, I do not have a convenient phone line and the forum indicates lots of your "customers" are in the same position. Goodness me, write some software that allows you to access via a mobile or the like. I know you are concerned re fraud well lots of mobiles have GPS so you could include a location check. Goodness me sort this out and becoem a bit more flexible.

GregorA wrote:

Hi TimJN1,

I would like to take the time to welcome you to the Sky Help Forum.

We always recommend that you connect a telephone cable directly to the box so if you're using a different method then we would be unable to support with this.

As I previously suggested to another user, it would be worth going through the user manual to make sure it's correctly set-up.

Could you also confirm if you get the error message 106 when connected via the telephone cable?

Regards.

Occasional Visitor
Hocus

I agree with the above.  Just bought an RTX wireless phone extender which works fine everywhere except on the Sky + HD 2tb box - just get the 'error 106'.  The plan was to get rid of unsightly cables and have succeeded on the network side of things with Devolo home plugs which work really well. 

Why Sky can't make use of the network for this instead of the phone line goodness knows - perhaps they will.

Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

Does the RTX work if you disconnect the home plugs from the mains?

I can't see Sky getting rid of the phone connection requirement any time soon for multiroom. It would be too easy to re-route the data to make it seem like the boxes were on the same network.