Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
newbie12

Wireless ethernet & phone line connector

Hi do sky does a wireless ethernet and phone line connector. I have just had sky hd installed but the ethernet cable and phone line connector has to be connected to the sky box and the phone line, this means the wires have to be all around the skirting board.

Seems strange that i have wireless broadband but sky cant do a wireless connection to the sky hd box.

Any suggestions??

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Mark39

Re: Wireless ethernet & phone line connector

newbie12 wrote:

Seems strange that i have wireless broadband but sky cant do a wireless connection to the sky hd box.

Yes, they can. They do a wireless dongle for the ethernet connection which will cost you £65. Alternatively, you can buy a non-Sky wireless access point probably for less, though you would have to configure it yourself.

For the phone connection, try a DECT wireless phone extender for similar money. Make sure it supports the analogue modem used by the Sky box.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Contributor
Matt-UK

I knows Mains extenders for both the ethernet and telephone, so I can connect them without any wires, works perfectly.

Contributor
newbie12

How does this work Matt??

Contributor
Matt-UK

Hi,

I have an RTX wireless phone extender.  Basically, you plug one into a mains socket near your phone socket, connect it to your phone master box.  You plug the other box into any other mains plug in your house, and connect that to the sky box, and vola, it sees a phone line.  (Link to the device I have below)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RTX-WIRELESS-PHONEJACK-Wireless-Phone/dp/B000NJQHL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

For the ethernet, there are several options, I have the Netgear Power extender, it works in the same way, you connect it up each end.  Below is the one I have, but there are now other much cheaper version from other vendors.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-XAVB5001-Powerline-500-Adapter/dp/B004I9IAOM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronic...

Hope that helps.

Occasional Visitor
Samadlone

Rubbish. It doesn't work with sky boxes. Works with regular phone only. Read the forums. All sky can say is they don't support wireless phone links. Great help! Quick to sell me a wireless router connector for demand but nothing for the compulsory telephone connection. Wake up sky. First of all build a wifi connector into your boxes to save customer forking out 30 quid for the wireless solution. And for god sake sell a wireless solution for the telephone link. How backward can you be telling customers to run 20 m telephone cables in their house!
Senior Member (Bronze)
Isitme1

[ Edited ]

Rubbish. It doesn't work with sky boxes.

That's a bit harsh,You are calling Matt a liar. . According to the Reviews on Amazon, it does work. Try reading them.

Unless it is a multi room box, I would not worry too much about connecting to the phone. With a single box this really is for your convenience, I doubt if Sky will bother too much if you are not connected. Multi room boxes are a different kettle of fish where a phone connection is required for security reasons.

On ADSL Unlimited.
Amstrad DRX 890
Occasional Visitor
Samadlone

It does not work on either HD+ or the 2TB+   i have tried.  The callback facility does not work as well as the online features.  Most forums say the same thing.  I have returned it to maplins for a refund.  I phoned sky twice to ask for help and all they said was they dont support wireless telephone connectors and could not help me.  Run a wire they said.  I will leave it no wtill my skytalk install next week and see what they say.  They will have to run a wired connection on the outside of the house into my loft room.  Take it from me, Keep your money in your pocket for the wireless solution.  It dont wok with Sky

Senior Member (Bronze)
Isitme1

Review of Maplins DECT sender-

bought for a sky box, left it for installer to connect he had no problems with it and activated two sky boxes with it, so far no problems with it, I've one in the living room, and a second slave unit in an upstairs bedroom

The only box which may give problems is the Thomson. I will say no more.

On ADSL Unlimited.
Amstrad DRX 890