Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Tony+P+1965

Wireless connector is a joke people.

Tried to set up the wireless connector, what a joke. Spent 30 minutes on the phone trying everything including a software update. Tried to resolve on chat, that was worse! Copied below for your amusement)

Finally must be my ISP although every other device in the house works fine.

I give up and will be moving o Virgin

Chat to a Sky advisorEnd chatPrint chat
Welcome to Sky Live Chat Service. A Sky Advisor will be with you shortly. Your chat may be monitored and recorded for training, legal and compliance purposes.
Please wait while we connect you to a Sky Advisor, then ask your question.
You are now connected with Joy.
** Please do not share your credit card information, security code or CVV during this chat **
Hello, you're chatting with Joy, a Sky advisor, may I take your name please?
Joy
19:40
Yes. Xxxxxxxxxx. I called yesterday with problems with my wireless connector. The agent tried several things including a software update. Still not working
Me
19:41
Hi Xxxxxxx
Joy
19:41
I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issue with your Wireless Connector.
Joy
19:42
I will certainly help you in this situation.
Joy
19:42
Since when you have been facing the issue?
Joy
19:43
Since I plugged it in yesterday. It is brand new and has not ever worked although it says connected to my home hub the service and connection states 'Fail'
Me
19:44
Thank you for confirming the information. I will certainly help you to resolve the issue.
Joy
19:46
Please give me 2 minutes to look at the options available.
Joy
19:49
Ok thanks
Me
19:52
I appreciate your time and patience.
Joy
19:56
Do you have a wired or wireless connection?
Joy
Wireless. I thought that I'd already said that 10 minutes ago?
Me
Thank you.
Joy
19:57
Can you see the lights on the back of the wireless connector?
Joy
19:58
Yes, yellow and green both illuminated st
Me
19:59
Just checking that for you now.
Joy
19:59
Sorry, but what exactly are you checking? I have been on for over 20 minutes. I do not wish to be rude but can you actually help me or are you following a script?
Me
20:05
I regret for the inconvenience caused as the system was taking more time than expected.
Joy
20:06
I will take you through few procedure to get the issue fixed. Is that fine with you?
Joy
20:06
Yes please
Me
20:07
Thank you.
Joy
20:07
Please follow the steps.
Joy
20:08
Ok.....
Me
Press and hold Standby
Joy
Wait for the remote command light ( left of the standby light on front panel) to being flashing.
Joy
Release standby.
Joy
20:09
The remote command light will continue flashing for approximately 15 seconds and then standby light turns Red
Joy
Confirm the light on front of the panel is Red and leave it for few seconds.
Joy
Press Sky, amber standby light displays
Joy
Sorry but the first step did not work!!! Do I press standby on the box or remote?
Me
20:10
On the Sky Remote control.
Joy
20:11
Still holding button. Nothing flashing
Me
20:12
Were you able to access On Demand earlier?
Joy
20:14
The light to the left of the red standby light is just showing red for as long as I am holding it. Not via the wireless just what is automatically sent through the telephone wire one ted to the Sky HD Box
Me
20:15
Sorry. Telephone wire "connected" to the back of my Sky Box
Me
20:17
Are you still there?
Me
20:20
Yes
Joy
20:20
Can you tell me your service provider?
Joy
20:23
BT
Me
20:23
As we have tried all the procedure I request you to contact your service provider.
Joy
20:24
It has nothing to. With my ISP. thank you or wasting nearly 1 hour of my time!!! Proof. Settings > Network > Local Connection: Fail, Service Connection Fail, IP Address 0.0.0.0, DCHP ON, Network Name: Bthomehub, Signal strength Good Encryption AES
Me
20:27
We have not tried anything!!!! You could not even get my box to go into one weird standby setting. Who can I complain to? This I a joke!
Me
20:28
Since you said that you have followed the Software Download procedure, there is no options available at the moment.
Joy
20:28
I can feel the frustration and would have felt the same way if I was in your place.
Joy
20:29
Just tell me who I can speak o in
Me
20:29
good, so who can I escalate this to please? Or would you rather I cancel my subscription?
Me
20:30
PS. That's about £1,000 per annum subscription by the way....
Me
20:31
I understand your point. Since you have followed all the procedure that can be done over the Live chat. But if you wish there is one procedure which will reset your router and you have to contact On Demand technical support.
Joy
20:34
Is that fine with you, I can help you with the number?
Joy
20:34

Chat already ended

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
CJES

Re: Wireless connector is a joke people.

Your chat conversation looks similar to mine. The advisor told me that BT hubs were incompatible with the Sky wireless connector, yet I have been using the pair together for a fair while now.

I am still non the wiser.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Staff
John-B

Hi Tony+P+1965 and CJES,

Are you still having issue connecting your wireless connector for On Demand?

I can see another few threads were customers are having similar issues.

Cheers

John-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Tony+P+1965

I have never not had problems as it has never worked. I have unplugged it, re-boxed it and in the process of sending back followed by the cancellation of my subscription.
CJES

Yes I am unable to use my wireless connector. Given up trying and have now unplugged the whole thing.
Staff
John-B

We don't want you to cancel Tony+P+1965, we can certainly try and get this working, will you give us one last chance?

CJES, what is actually happening when you try and connect the wireless connector?

Have you both tried to change the type of encryption your router using?

Cheers

John-B
Community Coordinator

Tony+P+1965

Settings > Network >
Local Connection FAIL
Service Connection FAIL
IP Address 0.0.0.0
DHCP ON
BTHomeHub2-M7TT
Signal strength 90%
Encryption Type AES

Do your best mate
Staff
John-B

Ok Tony+P+1965, thanks for giving us another shot.

Which type of encryption does your router use, is it WPA or WEP?

Have you tried changing to the other type of encryption?

Cheers

John-B
Community Coordinator

Tony+P+1965

WAP and have tried changing it but no joy
Staff
John-B

Ok Tony+P+1965, thanks for letting me know.

Just out of interest are you able to try a wired connection as a temporary measure to se if we can manage to get you changed to OK for service and local connection?

I only ask as I came across a post earlier with a user having similar issues, they said an engineer was out (not sure if this was a Sky engineer, they didn't say) and plugged an ethernet cable in, once they had done this and got the service and local connection OK, they were they able to unplug and connect their wifi connector without any issues.

Let me know if you are able to try this.

Cheers

John-B
Community Coordinator

Tony+P+1965

I will see if I can obtain a 10ft Ethernet cable and give it a go. I have to say this is not the first time Sky equipment has proven to be less than reliable.

I really don't understand why this is not proven technology and I fear that Sky's arrogance will eventually catch them up.

Example;
3 x I Phones connected to wifi - Check!
1 x HTC Phone connected to wifi - Check!
2 x Lap Top connected to wifi - Check!
1 x Printer connected to wifi - Check!
1 x X Box connected to wifi - Check!
1 x Nintendo WI connected to Wifi - Check!
1 x Sky wifi connector does not connect - Must be something to do with my ISP or Wifi Hub.... Really?

Anyway not your fault and I will give it one more go then I'm afraid it's adios because we all have choices these days.

Thanks
Community Coordinator
Peter-Ed

Hi Tony+P+1965,

Thanks for responding,

I am sorry to see you feel that way but the reason we get you to test with an ethernet cable is to see if there is an issue with the actual On Demand service as that could be the issue and not with the Connector itself. 

If you are able to test this for us please let us know how you get on.

Thanks, 

Pete
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Spod-Fother

I too have joined the fast growing band of people who have been told by Sky that they should contact their ISP since they have a problem with their wireless router! Upon receipt of my Sky wireless connector I spent a fruitless 1/2 hr trying to get it to receive on demand.

My next move was to try to get some help via "chat".  Very similar experience to others on this forum.  Promises of a speedy solution followed by 1/2 hr of silly suggestions.

So, then I moved on to the telephone assistance.  After 3/4 hr we agreed to give up. We reconnected the sky wifi to my router 3 times, each time with the same result - clearly we had made a connection, but we had a communication failure.  I asked about security settings (WEP, WEP2....) but the support assistant hadn't a clue.  Told m that my router was  obviously not connecting to the internet, or that thee was a fault with the wifi.  I pointed out that I was (during the conversation) logged onto the internet wirelessly on my lap top with no problems.  Also my home wifi router happily connects another laptop, two mobile phones ( a blackberry and a Samsung) and an X-box.

We agreed we had run out of options and the call ended.

I sent an email expessing my dis-satisfaction, and suggesting that Sky should perhaps send out free plug adapter type connectors to replace their useless wifi connectors.  I got a reply apologizing for the problems, and saying that there was obviously a fault with my home wifi router.

HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO TELL THESE PEOPLE.  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY ROUTER.  THEIR STUPID WIFI CONNECTOR IS THE ONLY DEVICE IN MY HOUSE THAT OBSTINATELY REFUSES TO WORK!!!!

I am reassured by the huge number of disgruntled would-be Sky wifi users posting their experiences.

So, message to Sky.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES. SORT OUT YOUR USELESS WIFI CONNECTOR.

Contributor
Mirkodog

In my humble opinion it is a sky+hd box & router compatability issue...i say this as i have had more or less the same experience & problems as everyone else..and believe me there are a lot of people facing the same problems.

My broadband provider was o2 when i purchased sky tv,and i tryed everything to try to get on demand to work with my o2 router,sky even sent me out another wireless connector free of charge.

I even wired the router straight to the sky+hd box & re-set the router & its security settings,still nothing.

Eventually i gave up and put the wireless boxes in a draw.

Recently o2 sold their broadband to sky,i was a bit fed up because i found o2 to be great..however i reluctantly went with sky for my fibre optic broadband,as soon as it was up and running with skys new hub i thought ill give it a go again and see if i can get on demand..so i got the wireless connector out of the draw,blew the dust off it and it connected instantly with no problems what so ever,its been connected now for over a month with no problems.

However getting the sky employees to admit there is a compatability issue is another thing.

Occasional Visitor
djkayleigh

My sky wifi is causing chaos in my household it seems its not compatible with bt at all and in fact it caused mayhem with my bt hub the wifi turned off I got that fixed easy with bt but the sky wifi thingy is still not working I'm not getting on demand but its part of a service sky gives to there clients I to am thinking of leaving sky after this and I have been with them for a very very long time indeed. I also found your sky backstage a total waste of time you get the impression your ment to be treated like VIP don't make me laugh the drinks are way over priced not to mention the food and then you have a photo taken on the so called red carpet I'm in a wheelchair took me a while to get up there for nothing guys don't do it unless your rich and can afford a drink there. Sky please pick up your service to us good paying clients without us you would go bankrupt look how many people are wanting to walk cause they can't get a full service