Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
Julie+SH
Accepted Solution

Windows can't connect to wireless network.

I have had sky broadband for years.  DG834GT (white) router.  3 of our pcs are connected via cable and are fine.  One of the PCs is wireless and Windows 7 - connects fine by wireless as well as cable.  my work laptop (XP) connects fine.  however a new HP Netbook that we have purchased just will not connect.  I have spent over a week trying to sort this and tried lots of things.  the drivers are up to date (uninstalled and reinstalled many many times), windows updates are fine.  I have changed the channel (my windows pc won't connect then either and I have to change it back to 11).  I have tried setting up an 'access list' but that does not work - in fact when I try that my Windows 7 pc won't connect either.  and even when i untick the option to set the access list up my windows 7 pc can't connect until I restore the router settings from backup (I made a copy before I started messing).  this is strange considering that is the only thing I changed and then changed back again.  I am getting the mac code using ipconfig/all - wireless lan.

I have changed lots of setting on netbook but it connects to friend's wireless networks no problem (both wep and wpa).  I have even disable security on router as suggested on some sites but still can't connect the netbook.

I assume the firmware on the router is controlled by sky as the version is later than the one on the netgear website and I read somewhere that sky have bespoke version so I have not touched that.

I have tried HP helpdesk and although they are very responsive they only offered me options I had already tried suggesting in the end that it was a 'security key issue' but could not say what they meant when I asked.  the security key works fine on the other 2 wirless devices and friend's laptops (all sorts inc windows 7 and even a mac).

win 7 pc is 801.11n,  netbook is b/g as is router.  tried the auto option as well as the default b/g and even 'g only' on the router - no luck.

some sites say turn network discovery on - it is and didn't make a difference - not surprised at that one.   ensured wlan is on auto (services.msc).

changed power management options - no luck.

done the 'netsh winsock reset catalogue' and 'netsh int ip reset reset.log' and one other I can't remember that someone suggested- no luck.

I am hoping someone can suggest something else as this is doing my head in! 

thanks in advance!

Julie

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
Julie+SH

Re: Windows can't connect to wireless network.

forgot to say netbook is windows 7 starter.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Mentor
Xen-Pu+Ovid-Sophron-Naso

[ Edited ]

Hi there: (Please do read all of this as it will help you setup your Windows 7 wireless notebook!)

It seems like yiou're using a Sky Netgear DG834GT Wireless Router, (white), and supplied with it should be a credit card size card called/labeled "keep me handy" your user information card, that is supplied for usage with your wireless router. A Sky SSID which contains both your Sky Network Key & Password, for that Sky wireless router you use!

Should you open up your HP Notebook to log on to the net, & the Sky Broadband Wireless Router does not detect/recognize your HP Notebook, you'll need to input your correct "Sky Password", obtained for your Sky Netgear/Sagem Wireless Router that you use, & key in that correct Sky "Log-on Password" for that Sky wireless router, in order for you to log on to the net! - (When searching & selecting your Sky Log-on Network SSID from the Network Connections listings, do make sure to select the correct Sky log-on SSID & use the correct Sky SSID Password to log-on for that wireless router, that's supplied upon your "Sky SSID Card" for your Sky wireless router.) - If this should fail,...

Then, it may be necessary to initially connect up both your notebook computer & wireless printer by a RJ45 cable to your router & get both the wireless printer's Mac Address & IP Address! Place both the Mac Address & IP address details for both your laptop & wireless printer in the reserve Mac Address & IP address fields section of the Sky Router, in order for these devices to work correctly with your Sky or other wireless router that you use!

You'll need to personally & manually input both the Mac Address & IP address details for all wireless devices & reserve these details within the Sky Wireless Router!

Afterwards, you'll need to log on to the net wirelessly, using your Sky wireless router using your Sky wireless router's login pass key that Sky provided for your wireless router's internet usage, for both your notebook Computer & wireless printer!

The same thing also goes for all your supplied notebook / wireless printer, devices that are to be setup/used upon any Sky wireless router or other ISP's supplied wireless router!

NB:smileyembarrassed: Wireless devices Mac Addresses do not change as these Mac Addresses remain static!

NB:smileyembarrassed: Wireless devices IP Addresses do change (not immediately - over time) as these IP Addresses aren't static!

Failure to reserve both your notebook & printer's Mac Address & IP address within your Sky or other router, will result with the laptop & wireless printer not being able to either connect or retain a valid Mac or IP addrss as this would cause the loss of wireless notebook & printer network connections for your wireless devices, as your devices does/will change their wireless IP Address settings constantly if these are not reserved, so therefore do get both these Mac Address & IP Address details fully reserved for both your notebook & wireless printer, within your Sky or other ISP Router Settings, & even within either your notebook or wireless printer. Don't worry if your wireless devices do not themselves reserve these details within there own menu systems et cetera, as your Sky or other ISP Routers, are designed to do this job for you!

NB :smileyembarrassed: Once these settings are done they will remain the same for all wireless devices:smileyembarrassed: As I did previously own a large 17" Dell WinXP Norwegian notebook computer!

Call Hewlett-Packard Company - UK - Main Contact # 0845-161-0030, if your HP Win7 Notebook is still under HP Warranty.

Thanks. Xen.

--------------------------------
If you feel I have been helpful, please click the star under my name to give me a kudos for this post, as I'll be very grateful :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I have been helpful, please click the pink thumbs-up (bottom right) of this post to give me a kudos, as I'll be very grateful
Super User
Dsldude

Julie+SH wrote:

I have had sky broadband for years.  DG834GT (white) router.  3 of our pcs are connected via cable and are fine.  One of the PCs is wireless and Windows 7 - connects fine by wireless as well as cable.  my work laptop (XP) connects fine.  however a new HP Netbook that we have purchased just will not connect.  I have spent over a week trying to sort this and tried lots of things.  the drivers are up to date (uninstalled and reinstalled many many times), windows updates are fine.  I have changed the channel (my windows pc won't connect then either and I have to change it back to 11).  I have tried setting up an 'access list' but that does not work - in fact when I try that my Windows 7 pc won't connect either.  and even when i untick the option to set the access list up my windows 7 pc can't connect until I restore the router settings from backup (I made a copy before I started messing).  this is strange considering that is the only thing I changed and then changed back again.  I am getting the mac code using ipconfig/all - wireless lan.

I have changed lots of setting on netbook but it connects to friend's wireless networks no problem (both wep and wpa).  I have even disable security on router as suggested on some sites but still can't connect the netbook.

I assume the firmware on the router is controlled by sky as the version is later than the one on the netgear website and I read somewhere that sky have bespoke version so I have not touched that.

I have tried HP helpdesk and although they are very responsive they only offered me options I had already tried suggesting in the end that it was a 'security key issue' but could not say what they meant when I asked.  the security key works fine on the other 2 wirless devices and friend's laptops (all sorts inc windows 7 and even a mac).

win 7 pc is 801.11n,  netbook is b/g as is router.  tried the auto option as well as the default b/g and even 'g only' on the router - no luck.

some sites say turn network discovery on - it is and didn't make a difference - not surprised at that one.   ensured wlan is on auto (services.msc).

changed power management options - no luck.

done the 'netsh winsock reset catalogue' and 'netsh int ip reset reset.log' and one other I can't remember that someone suggested- no luck.

I am hoping someone can suggest something else as this is doing my head in! 

thanks in advance!

Julie

It does sound like a compatibility issue between the router and your new pc,

when you tried to reinstall the driver did you check out the what the latest driver

was on the HP support site.

But even saying that the computer manufactures wont always have the most upto

date driver for the wireless chipset, if you go into your control panel / device manager

and then look under network adaptors, what is the full name of the wireless device?.

Also with regards to the access control I would leave that turned off, as that will just complicate

matters and you should never need to use it to make a wireless connection, its just a optional way

to stop any new devices connecting AFTER you have the devices you want connected.

Getting There
Julie+SH

thank you that is helpful as you seem to understand my issues.  I agree re turning off the access list but it was just a thing to try to narrow down the problem.  in theory this should have worked and if it had it would have helped me focus attention.  I wouldn't have left on as every time I wanted a friend to connect I would have had to set them up on the router as well as on their laptop.

I have tried a number of drivers - after uninstalling I let it do the re-install automatically but I also downloaded an older driver as some forums said worked better.  I also downloaded the one from the HP website.  none worked

current driver:-

Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

driver provider Broadcom

driver date 23/10/2009

Version 5.60.18.41 

I have tried the one from the HP website which is dated 27/5/2010 version 5.60.350.6

if you can suggest another that would be great.

thanks Julie

Getting There
Julie+SH

Tesco agreed to take the netbook back.  Bought an Acer from Comet -worked straight away no issues.  Obviously the HP Netbook and router did not get on! 

Mentor
Xen-Pu+Ovid-Sophron-Naso

[ Edited ]

Hi: Well done - you solved your troubles! You could also try to just use the correct Acer Windows setup discs that Acer provides for your Acer notebook. If you do use the latest operating system such as Windows 7, then it should detect & install all the correct drivers for that system you use, however if your notebook is an up-to-date notebook that requires for you to personally install these drivers manually, please do so under either the guidance of your user guide/manual for your Acer notebook, or with the guidance of the Acer Product Support staff who are there to help you.

Acer UK have their site http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/index.htm & select "Downloads", for these Acer drivers, or you can use their following site http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/country/United%20Kingdom.htm as they are also contactable by phone upon their 0870 853 1000 phonme number.

Thanks. Xen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I have been helpful, please click the pink thumbs-up (bottom right) of this post to give me a kudos, as I'll be very grateful