Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
WelshBluebird
Accepted Solution

Windows RT

Is there any plan on releasing a Windows RT app when we eventually see Windows RT tablets?

(before anyone says, normal Windows 8 will be fine as that still supports Silverlight, but Windows RT does not).

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Re: Windows RT

Hi WelshBluebird, 

Thank you for taking the time to post. 

There is no plans to have a Sky Go App for Windows RT Tablets, however I will pass your feedback on. 

LauraMac
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
THEGMAN01

I contacted sky & also got this type of message below, Laura pass this onto murdoch himself & get it sorted. If you are going to offer your service on other platforms (apple/android) you need to include another big platform windows. I know windows RT only launched a few weeks ago but a message saying we are looking into launching on all windows RT would satisfy alot of peoples queries, alos sky news app on windows RT & can watch news videos why not the full sky go experiance.

Community Coordinator
Kris+McD

Hi THEGMAN01

Thanks for your post. 

This is something that we are looking into and when we have more information we will let everyone know. 

Cheers 

Kris+McD
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
BazzaClazza

Another Windows RT user looking for Sky Go on my Surface!! Come on guys, you let all the Windows Phone 7 users down, make up for it by releasing both Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT apps! 

Visitor
GarethCheeseman

+1 for the Windows 8 App. Sky Go would look awesome on the Surface.

When can we expect it?

Visitor
echrada

Not really  good enough, we need an app asap.  A lot of us might just start thinking about Sky and hmm may not be worth it!  Sky look after us and we look after Sky.  After all we pay for it!

Regular Visitor
saltyzip

I don't believe Windows RT as an OS has a long future unfortunately, it's a Microsoft stop gap. I give it two years max before the procesor performance of ARM and equivalent allow for the full blown Windows 8 experience on the tablet platform.

So if Sky are to develop anything they will develop it as a Windows 8 App, not a Windows RT App, so I have the feeling you are going to be out of luck.

Unfortunately Apps have become a necessary evil thanks to Apple, the future was and still is in my opinoin, browser based. One common browser to house everything, no need for bespoke little apps, unfortunately the standards around providing a rich UI is holding it back.

Visitor
echrada

As you have no interest in the app stay out of it. We, who are interested did not ask for your opinion about RT we just want an app so that we can access whatmwe pay for.

Regular Visitor
saltyzip

[ Edited ]

I'm just trying to set some expectations, no need to jump down my throat. I have upgraded one of my machines to Windows 8, so I have a vested interest, albeit no need for an app at this time, as I can use the browser to access Sky Go instead.

As Windows RT requires C# development, Sky maybe able to utilse the existing Apple development team and their core code to port onto Windows RT. You never know, you may get an app, but I believe Sky will just sit it out and see what happens with the RT platform.

Visitor
GarethCheeseman

saltyzip wrote:

I'm just trying to set some expectations, no need to jump down my throat. I have upgraded one of my machines to Windows 8, so I have a vested interest, albeit no need for an app at this time, as I can use the browser to access Sky Go instead.

As Windows RT requires C# development, Sky maybe able to utilse the existing Apple development team and their core code to port onto Windows RT. You never know, you may get an app, but I believe Sky will just sit it out and see what happens with the RT platform.

Hey Saltyzip - no offence, but I dont think you know the deal with Windows RT and Dev tools. 

Windows App Store Apps run on Win RT AND Win 8, plus they are not tied to C#- they can use C++, vb.net, javascript etc. I don't know where an ios dev fits in here - don't they use objective c???

I realise that Sky will go wherever the market is and with 250m Win8 devices projected within 12months then I'm sure we will have the pick of the apps by then. It's a gamble for Sky not to get there early - I'll certainly consider options if other vendors get there first.

It's a free market afterall.

Regular Visitor
wharncliffeowl

Another Surface (Windows RT) user here. Superb device. Sky need to get on board with a suitable app please.

Visitor
GarethCheeseman

http://www.neowin.net/news/report-windows-store-exceeds-20000-windows-8-apps-mark

Over to you Sky - Windows isn't going away, 20K apps inside 1 month and you're not one of them!
Regular Visitor
ThePodders

Not good enough - I've been waiting in vain for a sky go app for Windows Phone, now need one for Windows RT.  We pay as much subscription as the Apple users so, frankly, you're not offering me the full service.

"we have no plans etc... but will pass on the message" has been coming for over a year now - please can you clarify your contractual constraints on producing the App on the Microsoft platforms?

Regular Visitor
ThePodders

Re: Windows RT (for info)

Shilpa: Hello, you're chatting with Shilpa, a Sky advisor, may I take your name please?

You: Patrick

Shilpa: Hello Patrick, how can I help you?

You: Hi Shilpa,

You: I'd like to know when Sky Go will be supported on either or both of the Windows Phone or Windows RT platforms

Shilpa: Kindly stay connected whilst I transfer the chat to our dedicated team.

You: ok

Chat InformationPlease wait - we are transferring your chat to a Sky Advisor who can help you.

Chat InformationYou are now connected with Sana.

Sana: Hello, you're chatting with Sana, a Sky advisor, may I take your name please?

You: Patrick

Sana: Hi Patrick.

Sana: I see that you were chatting with one of my colleague.

You: yes do I need to repeat my question?

Sana: We are also looking to in the future, but the lack of market penetration and the challenge of securing content rights for this device means that it is not currently on our immediate product release roadmap. We will continue to review this position and bring you any updates as and when available.

Sana: We now support Windows 8 except Windows 8 (Beta) version.

You: not Windows 8 ARM?

Sana: We will be bringing Sky Go to more Operating system over time and will continue to assess demand to make sure we deliver the service to as many customers as possible.

You: but you just said you're not working on it didn't you?

Sana: We do not support Windows Phone at the moment.

Sana: And also in Windows 8, we do not support (Beta) version.

Sana: Rest other Version on Windows 8 are supported.

You: In windows 8 it's not the beta that's the problem, its the RT version - e.g. the Microsoft Surface

Sana: Okay, I am afraid we do not support that.

You: Anyway I sort of gathered from the enormous number of annoyed people on the forums that this would be your response - so please consider this a formal complaint and pass it on to the relevant department.  At over £70 a month with competitors on the horizon I don't think it's remotely good enough.  There's an app already on these devices which supports BBC1-4 ITV1-4 and about 50 odd other channels.  It can't be that hard.

Sana: Can I know on which device are you trying to watch it or are you trying to on your TV?

You: Either a Windows Phone 8 (HTC 8X) or Windows 8 RT Tablet (Microsoft Surface)

Sana: I am afraid we do not support either of the device from both, but I will surely take this as a feedback and we will try to bring more of the device on Sky Go.

Sana: Thank you for bringing this down to our notice, I will certainly report this to our development team for further investigation.

You: thank you

Sana: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

You: no today thank you

Sana: Thank you for chatting with me today. Enjoy the rest of your day.