Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
John+Hazeldene
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 - Sky Go. Audio and video not working in pop-up window

As per title. Windows 8 - Sky Go.

Audio and video working ok in the small window, but when trying to view inside (larger) pop-up window, no sound or picture and the screen is black...

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
GRF4784

Re: Windows 8 - Sky Go. Audio and video not working in pop-up window

Hi John+hazeldene,

Welcome to the Forum.

Sky Go does not yet fully support Windows 8 so this will be the reason this is happening to you.

Thanks,

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Lagerf1end

Hi OP,

I see sky are as helpful as ever.

Just to let you know, the popout works fine in googles chrome browser.

Just download that until sky fix the issue (est. 1/1/2097)

:smileyhappy:

Regular Visitor
Gled74

Hi

I have been trying to get my new pc to work on Skygo then saw this thread, so had to kick the wife out of the the lounge so I can watch the F1!

How soon will it be for skygo to be working on Win 8?

Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi all,

Just to reiterate what my colleague stated that Sky Go is not supported on Windows 8. At this stage, we don;t have any information on when this will be available.

Thanks.
Stuza

Its not "supported" but it does work. See the post above or you can also check mine out at:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Using-Sky-Go/SkyGo-Windows-8-SOLVED/td-p/711464
Occasional Visitor
sam.saidi

What a useless response from two sky officials. Although I guess I shouldn't expect any more than that, I have been a sky customer so long that this is normal (but sad really)

Visitor
SoulR

Silly question... What on earth have sky been doing while all the beta and customer preview versions were released - was the launch of windows 8 a surprise?
I know you probably say you only develop when it's released, but it went RTM in August to allow time for this!
Visitor
SoulR

Maybe something to do with hdmi out or limited market penetration
Super User
KingfisherUK

So using a Microsoft technology (Silverlight) on a Microsoft OS (Windows 8) and it doesn't work.

Then again, we know Sky's track record with supporting the latest version of a non-Apple OS......

I am not a Sky employee, any opinions in my posts are entirely my own.

Re: Windows 8 - Sky Go. Audio and video not working in pop-up window [WORKAROUND]

OK so this works without needing to install another browser:

-Navigate to your program of choice

-Once connected click the 'popup' window icon

-In the pop-up box (which has no video and sound) press F12. Then change the browser mode to "IE9". Then press F12 again.

You have to do it each time unfortunately but it is a quick solution for now

Thanks

Sam

Occasional Visitor
ianeby

Re: Windows 8 - Sky Go. Audio and video not working in pop-up window [WORKAROUND]

OK so this works without needing to install another browser:

-Navigate to your program of choice

-Once connected click the 'popup' window icon

-In the pop-up box (which has no video and sound) press F12. Then change the browser mode to "IE9". Then press F12 again.

You have to do it each time unfortunately but it is a quick solution for now

Thanks

Sam

Perfect work around Sam. Us early adopters really should learn our lesson. How dare Sky fully support a new OS from some mickey mouse provider like Microsoft. Who would have known a new version is out and been in preview for what seems like 6 months. I didn't....:smileyvery-happy:

Occasional Visitor
heavyend81

You have to dispair sometimes with Sky for all their self pontificating. Windows 8 has been coming (and now here

being taken up on every new pc purchased) for many months and they still cant get it right.

For goodness sake Sky get your fingers out and get with the programme. Sort this problem out for Windows 8 and also (and this has been an ongoing joke since SkyGo was launched...) get the picture sound sync sorted out along with getting it all to work with the latest Silverlight so we dont have to keep uninstalling the default update and going back to a pre 5.1 version.

Occasional Visitor
amitkapz

Hi guys..there is a much simpler workaround to this issue. When the popup window opens and appears black and without Audio, just right-click on the page itself and select 'Refresh'. The page reloads and lo and behold, IT WORKS!! :smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
Grant+Callaway

This query was raised in November last year - 3 months later the issue still appears to have not been resolved by Sky? All new laptops/PC's should now be sold with Windows 8 installed - surely Sky should have already fixed the bugs!!?  When can we expect a properly working service?