Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
HalationEffect

Why does torrentfreak.com appear to be blocked?

I usually visit http://torrentfreak.com 2 or 3 times a week, and noticed last night that the site wouldn't load in either Firefox or Chrome.

At first I thought maybe the site was having some problems, so I checked with http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com and that told me the site was *not* down.

To rule out DNS issues, I switched from Sky's DNS servers to OpenDNS, but no difference. Using a public proxy, it was possible to access the site, so the site is definitely working.

Then I ran the Linux tracepath utility, with the following results:

wintermute@H61M-S2PV:~$ tracepath torrentfreak.com
 1:  H61M-S2PV.local                                   0.081ms pmtu 1500
 1:  192.168.0.1                                             0.703ms
 1:  192.168.0.1                                             0.662ms
 2:  97e76002.skybroadband.com            16.161ms
 3:  0278098a.bb.sky.com                           9.262ms asymm  4
 4:  ip-89-200-134-176.ov.easynet.net     8.322ms
 5:  out0.pi0.bllon.isp.sky.com                    8.724ms asymm  6
 6:  no reply
 7:  no reply
 8:  no reply
 9:  no reply
10:  no reply
11:  no reply
12:  no reply
13:  no reply
14:  no reply
15:  no reply
16:  no reply
17:  no reply
18:  no reply
19:  no reply
20:  no reply

That's *exactly* the same list of hops I get if I tracepath a known-to-be-blocked site such as thepiratebay.sx

Seems pretty clear that my inability to directly access torrentfreak.com is not due to a problem with the site, and it's not due to a problem at my end either.

Note - torrentfreak.com is a *news* site, not a torrent site. It does not host, or link to, infringing content. I can think of no valid reason for it to be blocked.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
El Capo
Oliver341

Re: Why does torrentfreak.com appear to be blocked?

Agreed, site is blocked and Sky is going mad.

Raised it here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/sky/f/4257982-torrentfreak-blocked-sky-on-blocking-spree.html

Oliver.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
El Capo
daveNOS

Yep deffinatly blocked i've just spoken to Andy from torrentfreak and they are looking into it and will have an article on the site about it soon.
I do not work for Sky im just a customer like you

Sky Service app Android

Sky Service app apple devices

El Capo
Oliver341

daveNOS wrote:
Yep deffinatly blocked i've just spoken to Andy from torrentfreak and they are looking into it and will have an article on the site about it soon.

It's unblocked now. Still worthy of an article though since this kind of thing should not happen at all.

Oliver.
Getting There
HalationEffect

[ Edited ]

The site no longer appears to be blocked, so this issue can be considered resolved.

Gotta say though that I find it deeply disturbing that it happened in the first place.

El Capo
Oliver341

HalationEffect wrote:
Gotta say though that I find it deeply disturbing that it happened in the first place.

I completely agree, it's good you raised it. Sky need to be held to account when they do things like this.

Oliver.
Graduate
bachey

it would of originally been blocked due to a court order forcing isp's to block to certain ones, maybe it was discovered that torrentfreak wasnt actually on the list that was provided with the court order so legally they didnt have to block it

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/uk-isps-start-blocking-torrent-sites-after-court-order-50010735/

El Capo
Oliver341

Yeah, casually blocking sites by accident is becoming a Sky speciality.

Oliver.
Getting There
HalationEffect

Aaaaand today, it's blocked again!

What the hell, Sky?

El Capo
Oliver341

Confirmed, I've updated the TBB thread.

Oliver.
I'm New Here
Turnbull

What the God d*mn f*ck? Boy am I annoyed over this. TF is an entirely legitimate website for f*cks sake. This is a highly worrying trend. Will Sky begin blocking other sites a it doesn't agree with? Perhaps add the Daily Mail too your precious bloody list, saying as it's possibly a threat to your business e.g. a rival to the Sky/NI owned Times and Sun.
El Capo
Oliver341

It's back up now with a news story.

Basically, any IP address a blocked domain adds to their domain's DNS then becomes blocked. EZTV added added Torrentfreak's IP address to their domain's DNS entries, and in doing so blocked it.

Now, it would be such a shame if EZTV added 176.255.202.50 and 176.255.202.67 to their domain's DNS and in doing so blocked www.sky.com ...

Oliver.