Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Super User
caesarome

Re: Why do you have to use Sky as your ISP to get Anytime+ ?

tony.graham325 wrote:

I was told on two occasions by Sky staff that I could receive anytime+ without getting sky broadband

Sorry to say but that is completely wrong. You have to have Sky Broadband to deliver the content to your HD box as it is not delivered by satellite. This is another example of a sky employee giving out totally false information.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
marian+raiciu

More money for sky, that's way people, every time they say they will give you this, they will give you that,it's true!they will give you all  these  extras, because they know they will charge you double or triple for anything you and I using in relation to sky. and there for, from the 08442 Tel No that we have to call(except those who have taken sky talk) to all the extras that you find out the you have to pay, we are skinned to the bones and WE PAY  for everything, its like an addiction, they give you something small and you have to pay to get that thing that's better and bigger

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Staff (Retired)
GregorA

[ Edited ]

Hi marian+raiciu,

I acknowledge from your post that you are disappointed in the service. I do apologise for the way you are feeling at this time. If we can assist in anyway let us know.

Regards.

Occasional Visitor
MarkNN

It is outrageously anti-competitive behaviour. Of course you need broadband in oredr to stream Anytime+ content, but to insist that this is provided by SKY, with the accompanying requirement to take telephone services from SKY is clear abuse. I imagine that eventually SKY will be forced to revise its position (as Microsoft was required to do vis-a-vis Internet Explorer) but this may take time. In the meantime I am considering a switch to a competitor to mark my dissatisafction. We don't like to see this sort of behaviour by suppliers and we should not stand for it.

Occasional Visitor
jimmyjam

What? How do you get to the conclusion that "it's not anti-competitive"??

Just because something is your own service doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want (specifically, it doesn't mean you can abuse a dominant market position to create dominant positions in other areas). Think Microsoft bundling Internet Explorer with Windows - they made life more difficult for their competitors (customers would have to go out of their way to install another browser, while IE was already installed). Opera Software formally complained to the EU competition commission, and won http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2009/12/16/ 

"Microsoft will now offer users of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 a screen presenting a choice of Web browsers. In December 2007, Opera Software urged the European Commission to investigate Microsoft’s abuse of its dominant market position and the company’s bundling of Internet Explorer with its Windows operating system."

I'm not a lawyer, but the way this Anytime product is offered sure looks like thinly-veiled anti-competitive behaviour to me... Sky would be wise to change this requirement (to be with Sky Broadband) to avoid further antitrust scrutiny.

I say that, as a "neutral party" in the sense that I am a (very happy) Sky Broadband and Sky TV customer, so this policy doesn't affect me directly; but I'm afraid this kind of behaviour is pretty obviously not in the best interest of customers, and is abuse of a dominant position. If they were genuinely worried about customer experience, perhaps they would only allow the best-performing UK ISPs customers to use it, but instead they're only allowing Sky Broadband customers to use it.

Super User
caesarome

jimmyjam wrote:  but instead they're only allowing Sky Broadband customers to use it.

By Easter all ISPs will have access to Anytime+.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.