Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Explorer
andrewhod

Why do new customers get better deals?

Hi

I have been with sky for a few years now and wanted to move my broadband from plusnet (had MAC key to switch) to sky using the £3.25 a month offer, but this was for new customers only.

I was so angry with this that I cancelled my TV and phone package and I am looking for other providers.  Am I missing something, why upset your current customers to attract new ones, because it really annoys me.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Staff
chelsea12

Re: Why do new customers get better deals?

Hi andrewhod

Great to catch your 1st post on the Sky Forum.

The Broadband offer here   is for new and existing customers taking Sky Broadband for the 1st time.

Is this the offer you are referring to on your post.?

Thanks   

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Explorer
andrewhod

Hi Jane

No the offer was 6 months free, unlimited downloads.

It does not appear to be on the link you sent, i think it was Dec or Jan when it was advertised.

thanks

Staff
chelsea12

Hi andrewhod 

My Fault there as it looked like the offer.

The free Broadband for 6 months was available from January till I think it could have been yesterday.

Had you had the Sky Broadband active before this?

Thanks     

I'm New Here
Dave+Vernon

I tend to agree with this. I have been with sky for well over 10 years and and have never been offered the deals that new members get. It sometimes appears that once sky have you, they do not care about you. I think if sky rewarded existing members better incentives, for example a months free movies, sports and entertainment package when you reach 5 years, 10 years and so on, thier customers would remain more loyal.

Explorer
andrewhod

Hi Jane

No I have never had sky broadband.

I have been a Sky TV customer for about 10 years under my parents (where i paid for) and my own account.  And a phone line customer for approx 16 months

thanks

Andrew

Staff
Robert

Hi Andrew, 

Sorry about that, we've checked and the offer for Sky Broadband Unlimited Free for 6 months ended on the 16th of February.

For the latest Existing customer offers please see www.sky.com/upgrade & www.sky.com/customers

We also offer rewards to existing Sky customers through our Sky Rewards site.

Explorer
andrewhod

My original query was why when that offer was on was I not allowed it purely on the basis that i am an existing phone and tv subscriber?

Staff
Robert

Hi Andrew, 

The offer was available to new and Existing Sky customers taking Sky Talk with Line Rental & Sky Broadband for the first time, as you're already a Sky Talk customer you wouldn't have been eligible for the offer.

Explorer
andrewhod

Why should I miss out on the better offer because I have been with Sky for a few years?  It seems that there is more to be gained from moving to another supplier.

Explorer
Reg2011

Same everywhere mate!

Great introductory offers -> then BANG!    Bills go through the roof!  

If you keep switching - you'll get better deals - but you might have to fork out for having everything switched over / installation / etc....

Explorer
andrewhod

Unfortunately your right.

I read on a similar post that a supermarket wouldnt charge you a different amount depending on whether or not you have shopped with them before, infact most reward loyalty e.g. clubcards/ 10% moneyback guarantee ect.

I dont understand why Sky treat new customers better then existing customers,  I was not asking for something more then was on offer to new customers but even that seems too much for sky to offer a fairly long serving customer who has never missed a payment, oh well as the days countdown to cancel day I am sure that one of skys competitors will reward me for switching as a "new" customer.

Getting There
TomBobbins

Because Sky clearly do not care a jot for their existing customers, which is why they receive inferior deals and end up paying far more for the same packages as new customers. This is why I will be ending my ten year long subscription with Sky and going to either freeview or Virgin. Then again, perhaps I could just cancel for a while and come back as a 'new' customer and receive the same deals as we loyal customers are exempt to.

Explorer
bernie243

I think it is very unfair that new customers get all the best deals. I have been with sky for well over 10 years.

I met someone recently that is  now joining sky, he is getting sky tv/phone/broadband for £14.50 a month in total. He was previously with 02 for phone and broadband, so sky is trying to get him 'onboard' for the  complete package. I pay £26 per month for sky, and also  £16. to 02. per month - for phone, and broadband ( 02 is going over to sky soon )

.*** In total i pay £42 per month !!*** for the same package as this person gets( and he will  only be paying  £14,)  so i pay  £27 more a month for exactly the same package Grr !!! . I phoned sky and was told it was only for 'new customers', i said what about some loyalty to existing/ long term customers. Well obviously they do not bother with existing customers. Whenever i have moved in the past,  i have always transerred the sky package. I have remained loyal to sky.  I am now however  looking around to change my tv/phone/broadband package I just think it is totaly unfair.Does anyone else agree ??

:smileymad: 

On The Up
powell71

Their is a thread

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Rewards-Incentives-Vouchers/Why-bother-being-a-loyal-Sky-customer/td-p/2...

Which I posted and asked the same questions, go to the end of the thread, page 9 - 10. The answers we seek have been asked by the forum mods as well but they don't have the answers and they are not given them by SKY, so they can only help so much. That said, sky believe everyone gets an offer when they join, which is not always the case tbh, but most do and have, so its only fair and consistent that ALL new customers get offers and they are doing nothing new. Its just a case some offers are better than others, that's if you got them.

The only way is to leave and come back, which is stupid I know, unless you ring sky and ask for a deal, which they will do for you from time to time. Once the ashes is over I will cancel my sky TV and come back when I see an offer on and when my phone line contract is up I shall do the same and see what are the best offers around in the market place.