Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Visitor
wheeler

Who is responsible for my reduced speed? BT, Sky, or me?

I've had Sky Broadband Unlimited for a while but have never had fast speeds. Speedtest.net used to indicate download speeds of around 2.5 Mbps, probably due to how far I am from the exchange, which was not super fast but just fast enough to watch iPlayer / YouTube etc. I could live with it.

A few weeks ago, someone digging up the road nearby managed to sever the BT lines to most of the neighbourhood leaving most of the area without BT phone lines for a few days. Now we have phone lines back, but my speeds are way down on what they were before. We're talking dialup speeds, maximum 0.5 Mbps download. The modem is not in the master socket of the house (I plan to check speeds there, but it's going to be a real hassle rearranging everything), but nothing has been moved or changed internally. 

Now, my question is: Who do I contact first? Sky or BT? Has Sky done something to limit my speed because of the outage, or has BT rerouted my line through the next county with 2 yoghurt pots and a bit of string?

The stats for my router are:

ADSL Link                  Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed   511 kbps        518 kbps

Line Attenuation        54.5 db           33.4 db

Noise Margin             4.8 db             11.0 db

Any help appreciated.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Re: Who is responsible for my reduced speed? BT, Sky, or me?

Yes, something clearly amiss here - your upstream connection speed is faster than downstream, and with your line attenuation you should be seeing a downstream connection speed of something nearer 3.5Mbps.

It's Sky you need to contact, not BT. Sky is your provider, and they'll need to liaise with BT Openreach to get it fixed. BTO won't talk to you.

I had a similar issue with the phone line a number of years ago: BT dug up the footpath outside immediately in front of my house and swore blind there was no possibility that that could have anything to do with the phone line going dead at exactly the same time. It took them 12 weeks to fix it.... I hope yours is sorted more quickly.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
wheeler

I have just tested the connection with the router wired directly into the master socket (1.5m) and using a wired connection (1.5m) from the PC to the router. Here are the results:

ADSL Link                  Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed   511 kbps        518 kbps

Line Attenuation        54.5 db           33.2 db

Noise Margin             13.5 db           10.5 db

Visitor
wheeler

Emailed Sky help and they got back pretty quick. Sky are sending me a new microfilter to try and help as my line is "unstable". They also suggest that I should contact my line provider (BT). Also, "I also see that the Line testing is currently in progress on your Sky Broadband connection to help us provide the fastest and most stable connection possible on your line. You may notice some variations in speed and your connection may be intermittent at times - this is normal." I hope that things will improve...

Staff
John-B

HI wheeler,

Did you manage to get in touch with your line provider to check for any line faults?

If you can let me know when you get a chance.

Cheers

John-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Visitor
wheeler

Hi,

I've been away for a couple of weeks so sorry about the delayed response.

I used BT's online fault checker and it's saying there are no faults with the line. Sky sent a new microfilter but this has not improved the connection speed at all. I think I will have to phone BT and try to speak to someone about this.

Frequent Visitor
YusufChowdhury

Your Downstream Connection speed is of 511kbps, is this from Sky's DLM? It may have detected unstability therefore it must have set it to such low speed. Maybe calling Sky to reset it, just an idea.