Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Frequent Visitor
DanTup

Re: When will Dolby Digital / 5.1 Surround Sound be supported over HDMI?

Robert-B wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. We are aware that some customers would like to see 5.1 audio supported over the HDMI link. Whilst this is something that we will be looking to include in a future release, it has to be prioritised alongside a large number of other feature requests and as such we can not currently confirm when this functionality will be available on the platform.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for finally providing a response from Sky. I think Sky is underestimating this issue. I'm moving house shortly, and I've been looking at Virgin Media specifically because I'm sick of dragging the TV forward to swap cables around just to get the surround sound I pay for. This issue has been around for years, and What HiFi reported that Sky were "considering" this back in July of 2009. If it's been low priority since then, I don't see any reason to believe it'll ever be done until there's a major upgrade to your boxes.

I hope you can pass this feedback on. The internet is full of people complaining about this (I suspect there are even more people that don't even realise they're losing their 5.1 because they're connected via HDMI), and I personally know at least another two people with this issue (one has bought an optical switch to avoid changing cables). Most TVs these days have a ton of HDMI inputs, and a single optical output, designed to go to a home theatre system. Most home theatre systems have a single optical input. Everything I own works fine with this setup (Bluray, DVD, Xbox, Apple TV) except for Sky.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Sky470BC

It would be great to have 5.1 surround sound carried in the HDMI interface, but this was not available in the HDMI 1.1 specification which Sky is currently using.

Usually, if you are adding a surround sound receiver to your TV entertainment system, you are going to have a number of devices attached to your TV. Bluray player? xBox? PS3? Receiver? iPod?.

So in addition to requiring an extra optical cable for 5.1 surround sound you could  also find yourself up to your knees in remote controls.

For those of you new to Sky+ HD and 5.1 surround sound I found this article very helpful:

Connections and set-up for HD TV, Sky+ HD, Bluray, iPod and 5.1 Surround Sound

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
PaulV68

Hi Just to add to the debate on 5.1 over HDMI.  I have been trying to get this to work and from reading the forum this is not the case.  Does anyone know why sky have the following help page?

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-hd/picture-problems/sound-problems/dolby-digital-sound-issues/

On the 'check audio output' it clearly states an audio difference for optical and HDMI.  Has anyone else come across this?

Frequent Visitor
DanTup

Not sure which bit you mean, but it certainly says this:

Your SkyHD box is capable of outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound in via either Optical cable (TOSLINK) or HDMI interconnects.

Looks like a big fat lie to me :smileysad:

Frequent Visitor
DanTup

[ Edited ]

Oh, I think I see what you mean - the picture shows that you can turn on Dolby Digital for HDMI:

If you're using HDMI, press the down arrow to highlight Digital Audio Output – HDMI. Output should be set to DOLBY D.

I've checked ours again, but we definitely don't have two options, just "Digital Audio Output". Question is - is this a software update, or a newer box? :smileysad:

Edit: Looks like a new box, without Sky+ functionality?

"On March 15th, Sky is launching a brand new and improved SkyHD Box for both existing and new Sky Multiroom customers!"

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi, the support page is for the new SkyHD box (non Sky+) which does have Dolby Digital over HDMI. Sky+HD boxes do not.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Frequent Visitor
DanTup

Kinda ironic that the "reduced functionality" box has better HDMI support :smileysad:

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Can your amp not take digital coax from the Sky HD box?  It's DD5.1 as well as the optical output.

Frequent Visitor
DanTup

Kenneth+M wrote:

Can your amp not take digital coax from the Sky HD box?  It's DD5.1 as well as the optical output.

Not sure if this is aimed at me - the optical output works for me, plugged into my amp. The problem is swapping cables if I want to use Xbox/Freeview HD/Apple TV. All of those work with the optical cable going from the TV (out) to the amp. For Sky I have to move it. Pain in the ass.

Super User
Mark39

DanTup wrote:

The problem is swapping cables if I want to use Xbox/Freeview HD/Apple TV. All of those work with the optical cable going from the TV (out) to the amp. For Sky I have to move it. Pain in the ass.

An optical switch such as this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/3-way-optical-digital-audio-switcher-35241 will avoid you having to swap cables. (You'll be able to find them cheaper than Maplins.)

Frequent Visitor
DanTup

Yeah, we've been there :smileywink:

The point isn't so much plugging/unplugging cables, but having to go over to the TV just so switch from Sky to something else Kinda makes the remotes redundant :smileytongue:

Looking to move soon, and will likely change from Sky when we do, so it's not a huge problem for me. Would just be nice to see it fixed for others in a newer box - especially for those that don't realise they're not getting their DD because they're using HDMI! :smileysad:

Paul+Sussex

It's about time Sky sorted this out ! It seems silly that when Sky boast that they are so advanced technically with Sky+ and HD and 3D that they can't even sort this simple sound problem out !

Come on Sky !

Even your latest communications about not putting prices up this year really means (if you read between the lines) that prices WILL be going UP next year !

So how about sorting some of the smaller problems out with all that extra cash you're going to get from us !

And ! ....how come we have to pay extra for HD when, for instance, in many other countries HD comes a standard along with Digital services????

But I digress ( get off my soap box now...) Sort out the 5.1 sound !!!!!!!!

Occasional Visitor
Justinb

I am inclined to agree with the posts regarding introducing digital audio over HDMI (it should have been sorted by now).

But I strongly suspect that this issue may end up being resolved by introducing a new version of the HD+ hardware and then sky will be looking for us to pay to have our sky box replaced to support this new functionality.

Is sky prepared to comment?

Occasional Visitor
Dan11477

Hi, I'm new to Sky+HD having just subscribed as I'm a massive F1 fan. Previous to Sky I had Freesat HD (non PVR). So far i'm dissapointed with the noticable drop in picture quality both on HD and SD channels.

The F1 races are advertised as being broadcast in 5.1 which I was really looking forward to and thought I was well equiped to take full advantage with my HDMI A/V receiver, seems I'm not and need to invest a couple of quid on some previous gen tech!

The trouble I have is I'll end up needing my A/V unit on all the time as in standby it allows HDMI passthrough but it won't with the digital optical.

Don't get me started on the picture shift and fuzzy edges!

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Dan11477, 

First of all I would like to apologise for the delay in getting back to you. 

Can you advise if the picture is better if you are able to connect the TV directly to the HD box via an HDMI cable (make sure no scart cables are connected either)?

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.