Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
Ed.B.

What is the strange number being displayed above the SkySports 1HD Logo?

Watching the football today my 2TB box is displaying a nine digit number on the screen above the Sky Sports logo.

Why? What is this number - it's not the viewing card number.  It's not appearing on the older HD box in the playroom.

It's not as if the logo isn't offensive enough on its own!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
caesarome

Re: What is the strange number being displayed above the SkySports 1HD Logo?

It is used by Sky as an anti-fraud measure. Everyone watching this match will see a number like this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ed.B.

Re: What is the strange number being displayed above the SkySports 1HD Logo?

Anti fraud? !

Do sky have people walking down my street looking in my window trying to read the number?

Why is this only happening on the main box not the multi room?

It's highly offensive to have my screen disfigured in this way given the amount I pay!
Regular Visitor
grant+calvin

Re: What is the strange number being displayed above the Supports 1HD Logo?

Found out its your viewing card number which is rearranged using a calculation only known to sky (This is why the number is always the same for you). This will help them discover the viewing card streaming live matches over the Internet. They will then disable the viewing card.

Quite stupid really because most people have sky sports and would stream the PM games which of course are not controlled by sky. There is far more sharing and watching of PM streams then sky sports streams. Also if someone was to the stream the sky sports game then a simple piece of paper over the screen will do or a black box over the digital stream will do.

When you think about it its only shown a few times during the game plus its barely noticeable. If you think it is disrupting your viewing then you should also be complaining about the logo.

Regular Visitor
grant+calvin

Re: What is the strange number being displayed above the Supports 1HD Logo?

Also I was just watching the Peterborough United game on sky sports 2 using my subscription. I wanted to test the theory of the numbers helping to tackle illegal broadcasts of the game. I went on the internet and quickly found several  live-streams and noticed that when the numbers were due to appear they didn't and also I noticed the sky sports logo was more towards the left-centre of the screen instead of towards the edge. Only the logo had moved I was not seeing more or less of the picture.

So where are the illegal feeds coming from that sky are using viewing card numbers to tackle. I went on to Sky Go and noticed that the feed from them was exactly the same as illegal feed (sky logo towards left-centre instead of left edge and no numbers). So I guess that people who feed the games illegally some how use sky's Go's feed. So whats the point of this method on TV broadcasts?