Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Frequent Contributor (Gold)
Shakey81
Accepted Solution

WIRELESS N ROUTER UPGRADE ??????

will existing customers be upgraded to new wirless N router if they dont already have it ?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Stantheman2k12

Re: WIRELESS N ROUTER UPGRADE ??????

No, But can be purchased from sky for £35

If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Sarah-Louise

Whats the differance between this router and my exising one (A grey one NOT the shiny black one) sorry for being unsure what router i have

Super User
Stantheman2k12

The wireless connectivity and range is far more better than older models.
If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Occasional Visitor
daz+rigby

£35 for a new router and sky having a laugh, and how can i be sure it will work and better than the one i already have, becoming more and more annoyed with sky now, the only room in my house that i cant get a wi-fi signal is the room the main pc is in.....kids laptop and gaming stations work great everywhere else.

I have been a customer of sky now for over 10 years, and i have the full package, but i am currently looking for another service.

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi daz+rigby, 

As this is your first post I would like to welcome you to the forum :smileyhappy: 

I am not sure if you have tried changing the wireless channel number of your router as this may help you get a wireless signal to the main PC, please bear in mind that some areas of properties will not be able to get a wireless connection. 

You do not need to upgrade to the new router unless you wish to.

Features of the new router are:

The Sky Wireless ‘N' Router features Wireless ‘N'.

• Wireless ‘N' is the latest standard that routers use to allow devices to connect to them wirelessly. Previous routers used an older standard, Wireless ‘G'.
  • Wireless ‘N' has much wider wireless bandwidth and increased power of the wireless signal over Wireless ‘G'.
  • More devices can be connected wirelessly to the router before wireless performance becomes affected.
  • The speed of wireless signal is stronger and faster.
  • The wireless range is improved greatly allowing access in places not possible with a wireless ‘G' router.

Note: To use Wireless ‘N' a laptop or other Internet device will also need to have wireless ‘N' capabilities. Normal internet devices can still use the router to connect through Wireless ‘G'.

The Sky Wireless ‘N' Router also allows connection through Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS).

• WPS makes it easier to set up a wireless connection. To connect WPS enabled devices push the button on the router and on the device to connect (no more wrong passwords).
  • If preferred, connecting wirelessly to the router can be done by entering a password as with previous Sky routers. 

To check if the computer is capable of receiving a Wireless ‘N' signal:

1. On the pc click start / windows button
  2. Select control panel followed by System
  3. Finally select Device Manager

Under Network Adapters if there is an ‘N' in the wireless adapter then the device will be wireless enabled.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,  

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
sheriff1971

It is a joke, I rang up & asked for an upgrade but was told I had to pay, so I said I was going to leave & pack the lot in...still had to pay £35 but got a years free line rental! Sky customer service is a joke!

Regular Visitor
MTaj

Sky do not send out a free router. Only if it is faulty.

Okay to get a free n router for an exisiting customer of sky, call tech support and say your router is not powering on and you have tried changing the plugs, wires etc.

Their you go 

Frequent Visitor
Macs75

I could certainly do with an upgrade but will not pay £35 for the pleasure. I have been with SKY for over 12 years now and am sick of having to threaten to leave just to get what they should be supplying anyhow. I only switched my broadband over last year and received a wireless G router.

Now wireless N has been out and tested for about 6 years now so what took sky so long to bring out their version? Overstock of wireless G routers I would imagine. 

My house is a nightmare for wireless signal but I had no issues with my wireless N router when with talktalk. I have now had to set up my linksys router that I used with talktalk to work as a wireless access point just so I get a signal throughout the house. This is not an issue with channels (as the wireless N is on the same channel) but if I turn the access point off I lose signal in most of the rooms in the house.

Can I obtain my username and password for my router so that I can use the linksys router and take the preconfigure sky router out of the loop altogether?

Frequent Contributor (Bronze)
Daryl1

I have the new N router and wireless signal is only improved with devices that can take advantage of N mode. All of my G devices still have poor range with the new N router (F@ST2504n). I use my old netgear G router for my G devices and I get MUCH BETTER range.

For example the Sky N router barly reaches two rooms away but the old netgear can reach all the way into the garden before range starts dropping! I blame the sky router not having an external antenna.

My Broadband Speed Test
Frequent Visitor
Macs75

Daryl1 my linksys router has no external antenna and I can pick up the signal in the park across the road from my house. So just sounds like the router that sky has opted for isn't upto scratch. No surprise really.

Regular Visitor
Mart9012

I have the latest Sagem2504N router.  I've had a few good modems and the wireless range and performance of this Sagem is as good as any.  The older "g" modems have been superceded by the newer "N" standard and the performance is much greater. It might be that your house has older style dense walls and the wireless is struggling to pass through.  I would have thought the N rated router would help with this.

Anyway, my Sagem is downstairs at the front of the house, I get an "excellent" wireless connection to my PC in my conservatory right at the other end of the house and "very good" upstairs in all the bedrooms. 

You can get range extenders (basically another sort of router that connects to your current one and can retransmit a wireless signal), or powerline adaptors and connect another router to those. Pricewise a range extender starts at about 25 pounds.

I think 35 pounds isn't bad for a new N rated modem (they probably retail for 70 odd quid).  A newer N rated modem/router should give you much stronger wireless.

Regular Visitor
Mart9012

It's not the antenna.  I have a Netgear DG834PN which is a MIMO router with internal antenna.  Probably the longest range router I've ever used.

Frequent Visitor
Macs75

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has manged to get a free upgrade from Sky for the new wireless N router. For the past year I have been using my old linksys wireless N router as a wireless access point but it has started playing up and I am having to reboot it regularly. If I don't reboot the access point I connot pick up my sky router unless in the room directly below it or upstairs on the same floor. I run the majority of my network over powerline adapters but I don't want to run an ethernet cable across the room to my laptop when sitting on the settee.

I used the linksys router (only) when I was with talktalk and it was sufficient to pick up the signal anywhere around the house so I believe that a wireless N router from Sky should be sufficient to eliminate the need for an access point.

Thanks

Macs

Frequent Visitor
mumph1968

I have managed to get a new router free of charge, it's on it's way now (hope it's a new N type). I contacted the sky BB help account via Twitter after I was having issues with my wifi dropping out with 4 devices connected. After a few messages with them, they said they will send a new router which will take 3-5 days to arrive.