Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Getting There
sparkyj1969
Accepted Solution

VPN Connection Isses

Hi,

I have recently aquired a Segemcom F@ST2304 router as part of a new sky broadband package. My wife works from home one day a week and she connects to her work pc via a VPN connection. Since installing this router we are unable to do this.

Can anybody advise me if this router supports VPN and if so please tell me how do do this.

Thanks.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Movin' on Up
Skytime

Re: VPN Connection Isses

SKYs routers do no support VPN sorry!
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Robert-B

Hi sparkyj1969,

The Sky router can work with a VPN connection however we cannot provide support for this. We would advise to contact the company IT department for assistance with this.

On The Up
xCOOPSx

In order for your VPN Connection to work you will be required to configure Inbound and Outbound services in the routers Firewall config page.

By default the inbound rules for the firewall will prevent your VPN from establishing the connection back to your computer.

In order to get round this you will need to create rules that allow the VPN service such as L2TP or IPSEC both inbound and outbound paths through your routers firewall to the machine that needs the VPN connection.

If you are unsure about how to do this, you should speak with your companies IT administrator as already mentioned. 

Getting There
Farrukh

This is just plain rubbish. How is it that I can use VPN over BT, Virgin, Vodafone Mobile, Orange Mobile, 3 (thethered to my Nokia) and when I am out and about at every private and public 'hotspot' I have come across. Yet on SKY it doesn't work without having to do some voodo with the router that the SKY team are unable to help with.

Considering the number of people who now need to access work servers from home on a regular basis. Either SKY should enable this service, or be upfront in their sign up process to make unwary customers aware that thier service is deficient in this respect.

Looking at this forum and others, it appears that this problem has been arround for some years. I just wish I had thought of checking to see what problems SKY inflicted before I signed up with them rather than Orange or PlusNet.

I have now cancelled my SKY broadband, but have to wait and go through the pain of having the whole thing swapped over to a propper ISP

Super User
Damien-SW

sky is mot part very high quaility broadband at a very cheap price

To get a similar service in terms of the internet (speed and unlimited access) the only other company is Be Internet.

Sky keep their price low by limiting they ammount of support they give.   It costs around 30-40£ an hour, (not jsut wages but all other support cost it how much it cost the company I work for per how when dealing with support issues)  

they only support their own routers and do not support business uses over their connections, they what easynet is for.

Its not hard to set up VPN over sky, i have two on my system and was walk in the park, just log into the router and is logical how one goes about it.

Sky is great value internet but it does have its draw back, if you want someone to be there to hold you hand at any time then look else where.  If you don't need/want hand holding and happy with only limited support then sky can not be beaten.

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Getting There
Farrukh

I go back to my original point. When other ISPs can offer this at very similar prices, and it is not just business users who need VPN access, then either SKY should mention that they do not support something that is standard, or supply routers that do support this basic fucntion. I have used similarly priced ISPs over the past 15 years, and never had this issue. I have bought and used off the shelf routers and those supplied by ISPs.

You mention that it is obvious how to set up VPN access through the SKY router, perhaps you could supply instructions on how to do this.

I understand that there is a cost involved in providing support. However every business has costs and it will cost them a hell of a lot more to support individual calls, than if they just enabled it in the 1st place or put out a disclaimer. The fact that their support staff spent over 4 hours trying to take me down other routes only to finally admit that they don't support VPN after I showed them threads on other forums shows that either they have incompetent technical support, or they deliberately mislead customers.

Super User
Damien-SW

More than happy to help, but jsut one point you will not find internet as cheap as sky.  I know I looked, all other similar priced ISP put limits or apply traffic manamgemnt.

One of my VPN work straight away, other one I had to set up on the router.

first make sure upnp is on

http://192.168.0.1/upnpcfg.html

then you will need to set a static IP for the device that you want to use the VPN on

http://192.168.0.1/lancfg2.html

then you will need to create a service on the router if the default ones don't match you VPN details

default VPN serviuce already on the router are ipsec on UDP500, L2TP UDP 1701 and PPTP UDP 1723 if these match you details you don't need to add a customer service

http://192.168.0.1/scvrtsrv.html  - click add customer service and enter the details such as ports that your VPN uses

then goto the firewall settings

http://192.168.0.1/scinflt.html

click to add a Inbound service 

Service : choose the service you want to add(1 at a time)

Action :Always Allow

Send to LAN Server : IP address on the internal device

WAN Users :if work has a Static IP then choose single, if they use a range choose range and if its dynamic address then you need to choose any 

Start: only use this box if you choosen single or range - if single enter the public IP of the VPN if its a range enter the first address the VPN might use

Finish : If you choose single this box will not be aviaible if you choose range this is the last IP address the VPN might use

If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Super User
Damien-SW

Re: VPN Connection Issues

The nearest competitor for sky unlimited is Bethere.co.uk, they charge 22£ a month for their connect which is over twice what I pay to sky.

There are other resellers that offer un,limited packages with no traffic management but they even more expensive.

Damien
I'm New Here
njosborne

Hi Damien,

Not being a technologically minded kind of guy, is there anyway of adding a more detailed explanation of how to set-up using the pages and links you have mentioned - I think some of the links may be out of date.

I have spoken to my IT department and they have said to tick or untick the UPNP and N80 settings. Have spoken to Sky and all they can say is to ask IT to 'open a port on the router'.

Incredibly frustrating all round! Any help at all would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers