Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
joners
Accepted Solution

Using your own router on sky broadband

I know that this question has been asked several times and I know that evertime it has been answered Sky reps have said that you cant use your own equipment as it breaks their T&C's. Great, i get that, you cannot expect your Support people to support a product that they havent had any training on. I dont know why you dont have an exclaimer saying that you wont support 'personal equipment'.

Now my Sky broadband is being connected tomorrow, and im still waiting for my BB box to be delivered (a month after the requested install). Seems that there is a back log and i wont be getting my router for another 2weeks.

Pretty unacceptable really to have a service that I cannot use because you cant get the kit out in time to me, and still having to pay for it.

Anyway, called up Sky and ive been told by one CS rep that I can use my own router, and was then passed to tech support to speak to another chap that said that he would give me the username and password once the service is connected tomorrow. This is on the basis that I dont expect any support for the hardware?!

Sky what gives? Have you changed your T&C's?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Diamond)
Skytime

Re: Using your own router on sky broadband

If you';ve no rotuer then they will credit you back for any charges they would have taken forthe BB when the rotuer isn't there! - im guessing the password and username they are sayin are for the login screen for skys rotuer which is like admin andthen sky ! but i'm sure thats jsut for the sky router!! - the T&C are the same like so i'm not sure what they were saying unless they were confused about them! if you already have a rotuer then you can call up and see if that username / password they give you does work but i woudltn go out and buy a new router just in case yaknow!
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Platinum)
PaulEK

The only details Sky support will have will be the admin log in details, the ADSL user details are hard coded when the router is sent out from the supplier.

Used to work for Sky and BT ADSL tech support but please don't hate me for it :smileywink:
Community Coordinator
Robert

[ Edited ]

Hi joners, 

As both Skytime and PaulEK have mentioned, the only username and password that our advisors can provide would be that to log into the Sky Broadband Router to access its settings. We can not provide the username and password that your router will use to access the broadband network as this information is not available to anyone. 

Sky Broadband Routers are hard coded with specific information which they use to access the network that non-Sky routers will not have and require to access the broadband network. We do not supply this information for security and support reasons.

It would appear that the advisor has been mis-informed regarding the provision of such information. For this I can only apologise. We endeavour to get routers out to customers as quickly as possible.

There isn't a backlog that we are currently aware of affecting routers being dispatched. However in your case something else may have happened to delay the router being ordered as your broadband progressed through the provisioning process. We will however credit your account to cover the period from your broadband going active to the arrival of your router so that you are not charged for the service when you cannot use it.

I appreciate that this is frustrating, however using a non Sky Broadband router is not supported by Sky and we cannot guarantee that your non-sky router will always work if changes are made to the network in the future.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Anythingbutthis

Once you have a router it is very easy to get the information from it you require for future reference. I know people who use their own routers.

Sky must know as well because the mac address may not tally.

However if you do have problems Sky support may not be very supportive if you are using your own router.

Barneszilla1

Ive been using my own router for a couple of weeks since I've had this installed. 

Today its stoppped working, I've plugged in the ol'sagem and it works... Have they changed something?

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Barneszilla1, 

I'm afraid we cannot tell if anything has changed and cannot provide support if you are using a non-sky supplied router.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
DalSoft

My advice is switch supplier for example O2 have no problem at all with you using your own equipment and have no problem supporting you properly.

Occasional Visitor
DalSoft

BTW if you are using their first generation 'white' netgear router change the WPA key as the default is based on your MAC address and easy to hack.

Occasional Visitor
argent0512

I don't understand this policy. I am a BT customer but i am moving to a new house. I was about to order multiroom broadband and talk until I saw this discussion. I have a new netgear router which is very good, only 1 month old (so the best at the moment - no idea how this compares to what Sky ships) and that I have set up with all the relevant wired/wireless connections. And it was £120 !

Even BT try and help when they realise you don't have their router. I would be happy to try and get around it technically but not happy to give Sky support a blanket disclaimer.

Super User
Damien-SW

sky uses a moddified version of MER which requires unusal settings not many router support this

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Contributor
Jaybee2

You could use the Sky modem/router as just a modem and use your Netgear modem/router as just a router. 

Occasional Visitor
awcrap

first post here and realise this is a bit old, but i ordered sky BB and phone unlimited yesterday and was also going to add multiroom to my complete package, but had to cancel it today as i cant use my own netgear dual band router.

the 2.4 ghz network is useless here as my neighbours homehub router is behind the wall next to my telly and is so powerful it makes my signal poor, whereas on 5 ghz my wireless network is perfect all over my house using my dgnd3300 and wnce3001 wireless network adaptors

my telly, xbox ,skybox, laptop are all on 5ghz but they simply said, use our router or cancel, so i cancelled

Super User
snadge+100

[ Edited ]

use google

it is possible to use your own routers on sky, if sky are gunna be 2 weeks late you could always buy a sky router from ebay or borrow spare one from a friend, or, ask someone who has an old spare sky router that they dont use to extract the login data for you...this is because ANY sky router works on ANY sky connection, the login is generated from the hardware on the device using algorithms , as long as the login is VALID the router will connect, if its a non-sky router you may have to perform MAC Spoofing but some people dont have to and some do, my Netgear for e,g, connected for few weeks without spoofing before it was disconnected until I spoofed it then it connected.

with regardes to PPPoA / MER -> sky can indeed turn off PPPoA access at anytime, this would mean that users that are affected (those on SVBN, those on Easynet Dslams will not be affected as that does not use MER) who use their own routers will be disconnected, there are routers that can connect with MER such as the Billion BiPAC 7800N which is a super router and other Netgears etc can connect by cheating...use google..it wont be long before 3rd party routers will support MER ...but sky will probably just change it again in attempt to force users onto sky hardware

I dunno what sky does if two routers with same login/identification are used at the same time, its an experiment I could perform with the help of neighbour just too find out if its possible to 'share' login data (even if its just temp until one gets their sky router)

its shocking that SKY force users to use their routers, the modem in the routers are great... the latest 2504N uses a broadcom 6362 dual-core 400Mhz chip (most other routers are 200-300Mhz single core chips), I get super fast wifi response of 0.7ms compared to 1.5ms of my Netgear - but the wifi range aint that great, no advanced stats or setting access and some people need to use 5Ghz band - if sky are going to force us to use their routers they should have a range of routers we can BUY with N300 / N600 / 5Ghz / Gigabit Ports / Advanced ADSL Settings etc like SNR Tweak and other 'switches', allow us access to advanced stats in the modem such as SNR spectrum, QLN, Hlog, Bit Swapping, Error rates etc

....saying here is a wireless-N router 144Mbps and thats yer lot is no good..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test Socket - Router Stats - inSSIDer - TCP Optimizer - DNS Benchmark - Speedchart
Service Updates - Troubleshooting - Pingtest - Speedtest - Do you need a MAC.?
Improve your Wi-Fi - Planner Rebuild & System Reset
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visitor
Lorb39

My broadband router hasn't been working - not connecting to internet, intermittent power failures, etc.  I have acquired a spare Sky router from a friend who wasn't using it.  Would this be classed as using my own router (in respect of the Sky T&C's) or as it's an actual Sky broadband router, am I ok to use it instead of my original one?