Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Re: Unable to turn audio description off

Hi All,

For those who are expiencing problems where you are unable to turn off Audio Description (AD), can you try a planner rebuild and let me know if this makes any difference?

Thanks,

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Getting There
Jon5

I have the same problem - unable to turn off audio description. I have a Sky Plus HD box, and the latest Sky software is installed with the blue colour scheme. I have watched two episodes of Coronation Street where I couldn't turn off the audio description. When I phoned the Sky helpline I was told that if audio description was set to "on" at the time of the recording the audio description was a permanent part of the soundtrack. So the next time I recorded Coronation Street I ensured that audio description was off. But the audio description was still there, and spoiled the programme. Yesterday I did the planner rebuild as recommended here, and now I'm watching Emmerdale which has the intrusive audio description regardless of whether I set it to "off" or "on".  I think if I record ITV HD that might be the only way I can record without the audio description. But when are Sky going to get this fixed? It's very frustrating!!

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Getting There
Jon5

Okay, having now watched my recording of tonight's Coronation Street I am glad to say that there is no audio description. I don't know whether it is actually true that if you record a programme with audio description set to "on" the soundtrack will always have the audio description. If there was a way of setting my Sky box so that audio description is permanently de-activated and there is no chance of accidentally switching it on (eg when switching on subtitles) I'd be delighted.

Getting There
BenjiBry

This is happening to me too, recorded New Girl on Tuesday, sit down to watch it now and 2 episodes with AD on, no way of turning off. As the previous person said, there must be a way of disabling it permanently? It is the most annoying thing if you don't need it!
I'm New Here
Skyire

This keeps happening to me too ever since the update. I rang up a few days ago and went through a system reset but it's still happening. Very annoying, most of my recorded programmes are affected.

Getting There
Y4S

Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem, sine the EPG update program's that have been on series link are ow being recorded with audio description and won't turn off. Also program's being recorded through mobile app have the same problem. Audio description is set to off on the options page. Need help, this is very annoying!
Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi All,

Can you let me know if you have tried the planner rebuild I requested earlier in this thread?

Also, how have you tried turning off the audio despription (is it through the menus or through the help button when on a channel)?

Thanks,
Anne
Community Coordinator

I'm New Here
blake4563

Nope it didnt work

I'm New Here
blake4563

didnt work

Getting There
Y4S

Audio description is set to "off" Cant do the planner rebuild as it doesn't now work when I press 0 then 1 when settings is highlighted.
Super User
Mark39

Y4S wrote:
Audio description is set to "off" Cant do the planner rebuild as it doesn't now work when I press 0 then 1 when settings is highlighted.

Sounds like you're not doing the right key presses to get to the Installer Menu. It's Services,0,0,1,Select.

Look at the remote while you're doing it, not at the screen, and press each key in the sequence without pausing. Not all key presses make the screen change, and you won't see the Installer Menu until you press the final Select.

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi All,

Can you advise me when you are hearing the audio continuing (when it is saved at off via the search and scan banner or in the menu itself)?

• Is it when you first turn the box on from when it has no power
  • Is it when you have paused the TV and pressed play to resume watching the programme
  • When you have changed channel after pausing
  • Or any other scenarios

Thanks,

Anne
Community Coordinator

Getting There
Y4S

Thanks M. Now done the planner rebuild. However..... It hasn't helped with audio description. Audio description is turned off in the settings menu and is also turned to off when pressing help button, but doesn't turn off audio off in the recorded programmes already stored. Only programmes recorded after the new EPG started are affected including those that were set to series link. Will be recording more tonight so will wait to see if it has made a difference to new programmes.
Super User
Mark39

Y4S wrote:
Audio description is turned off in the settings menu and is also turned to off when pressing help button, but doesn't turn off audio off in the recorded programmes already stored.

I'm sure I've read elsewhere on the forum that switching AD off won't get rid of it on existing recordings. The test will be whether new recordings can be viewed without AD.

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi All,

I can confirm that if a programme is recorded with audio description turned on, then the playback of this programme will have audio description played out, even if the customer is to turn AD off in the menus.

Thanks,
Anne
Community Coordinator