Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Regular Visitor
Eddy42

Unable to send email via External SMTP server (Not Sky's)

Hi,

Just over 2 hours ago I was able to send email fine - so to be clear from the start this is something that WAS working and now ISN'T.

I use a 3rd party host for my email (xiddix.co.uk) and I am suddenly unable to get a connection via sky broadband for outgoing mail.  I am able to get a connection fine using my phone's 3G connection and also a colleagues broadband with virign - so this is definately Sky related.

I have ruled out the mail client (I use Outlook and Thunderbird) by attempting to telnet to the server (xiddix.co.uk:25 and xiddix.co.uk:465) and whilst I can connect on other ports (such as port 80 for html) I am blocked (seemingly by sky) from ports 25 and 465.

The first few emails that had issues did get connected but were rejected by sky's server as follows:

Server error: '554 5.7.1 <xxxxx.bb.sky.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]>: Client host rejected: Access denied'

(Note: I have xx out my ip address and hostname for obvious reasons)

This message seems to indicate that sky is blocking the connection.

Does anyone have any idea why this is suddenly happening and what I can do about it?

Eddy42

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
v.r
Occasional Visitor
v.r

Re: Unable to send email via External SMTP server (Not Sky's)

Hi there

I have just been on the phone to Sky for 3 hours with the same problem!

I wish to send and recieve work emails from home - but Sky is telling me that my outgoing mail server must be my works server - not sky ??????

The only way for me to use the Sky server is if I use my Sky email - which shows up on the reply message - which is useless if I want to send a work email...........

I have no idea where to go from here - other than to cancel my contract with sky - after 5 years!!!  

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Can you not use your works smtp server as you will not be able to use Sky's as that us for sky emails only. They have set it up like this to prevent spammers sending stuff via it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Regular Visitor
Eddy42

[ Edited ]

The plot thickens.

This morning I am sending email via my own smtp server fine.  I am wondering if the issue here is that sky are blocking when I reach a certain number of connections.  I have 8 email accounts set up in Microsoft Outlook (I know it's a lot but I have different mailboxes for different things) and when Outlook does a send/receive it connects to each mailbox.  This can be quite a lot of connections.

Either way, what on earth is Sky attempting to achieve by blocking access to other people's smtp servers.  It in no way protects Sky (as it is not sky's server to protect) and in no way prevents spam being sent.  If I wanted to send spam I could set up a server allowing me to send smtp data on port 80 (which is never blocked as it is used for html) and do it that way - I don't see why they are blocking anything.

I understand that they would want to stop people sending anonymously via their own smtp server (I also block this activity on my server) but that's up to them - I don't want to use sky's server anyway.

If there is a sky tech on here anywhere - please let us know what the policy REALLY is regarding 3rd party smtp server access.

(v.r) As regards your not being able to send at all I can only imagine they are restricting the IP.  I was able to confirm this using telnet.  Try telnetting to port 25 or port 465 of your server and if you don't get a connection but can ping the same ip then sky is blocking it.

Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

The reasoning behind some ISPs blocking port 25 outgoing is sound, it does prevent compromised PCs acting as spam bots.

That said, Sky don't block it anyway.

Oliver.
Regular Visitor
Eddy42

I would argue that if an ISP were to block ANY activity (such as to prevent spam bots) then it should be done preferably on an individual basis when excessive traffice has been detected or repeated abuse has been reported from that connection.

Where do you base your statement that sky "do not block it anyway" - do you have evidence?

I want to know why I was blocked from doing so last night (and this is not the first time) and everything has now settled down.  I have searched Sky's policies and can find nothing.  If this is a fault then it should be reported in the status logs which is hasn't been.

Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

Eddy42 wrote:

Where do you base your statement that sky "do not block it anyway" - do you have evidence?

Yes...

telnet mx1.hotmail.com 25

220 BAY0-MC2-F16.Bay0.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions are found at http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/anti-spam.mspx. Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:49:34 -0700

Oliver.
Contributor
Phil7997

No problems for me sending on port 25. I have my email with Xilo and use their smtp server.
Regular Visitor
Eddy42

I think this is getting a little off-track.

Since reporting this I am finding that I can send via port 465 without issue.  My difficulty is that I keep getting periods where I am blocked from doing so.

I have ruled out the software and it must be the sky router or sky themselves that are blocking it.

I would like confirmation if anyone else has temporarily experienced this and therefore whether sky are in the practice of blocking smtp based on number of connections or some other reason.

Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

Eddy42 wrote:

I have ruled out the software and it must be the sky router or sky themselves that are blocking it.

I'm not seeing loads of people saying "me too". Perhaps your email host is unreliable.

Oliver.
Occasional Visitor
Vicdarb

I am also having this issue just switched to SKY from talk talk and now I cannot send any email.. I have an old orange email address that i've kept for years and never had an issue with any other broadband provider, it doesn't matter if i use the smtp oranghome server or the sky tools address nothing works, i can use 3g out of the house but this no good to me when i want to use the laptop at home... does anyone have a solution???

I have also called sky and they are telling me to contact Orange but this has never happened before until I switched to Sky....!!!!

Super User
caesarome

When you try to use the Orange smtp server what happens and what error message do you see ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Regular Visitor
Eddy42

it's not my web host as i am the server admin. i have no issues from other isp connections (with the same laptop).

i believe it is due to the way outlook defaults to lots of simultaneous connections. i have limited outlook to only one connection and since then haven't had any issues.
Super User
Damien-SW

there no problem sending emails using 3rd party smpt server, 25, 465 and 587 all work for me.

If you want to use the sky smtp server you can but first you need to add the email and prove that you own the email address.

just do it the same way you would for google, when setting up to send mail from a 3rd party email.  Shout if u get stuck

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Regular Visitor
Eddy42

I really wish people would read the whole thing properly before answering. I CAN send using my external SMTP server most if the time, but occasionally sky blocks it. I want to know why. I don't want to know whether you can send right now, i don't care.

I have confirmed that it is definitely sky (read above). Does anyone know why. Please do not comment on anything else - raise your own topic.