Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
shak799

Unable to connect SKY + HD with HDMI cable to new LG LED SMART TV

Hi,

I have just bought a LG LED Full HD SMART TV. When i connect it with the SCART cable i can view the sky channles without any problems. If i remove the SCART cable and connect the HDMI cable from my Sky + HD box to a HDMI IN port on the TV i am unable to view anything on the TV. I have tried tuning, etc but to know avail.

Please help

Thanks

Shak

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Pro
JanePar

Re: Unable to connect SKY + HD with HDMI cable to new LG LED SMART TV

Try pressing the input button on the TV remote and selecting HDMI 1 or whatever number port it's connected to apologies if you've done this it's just some people are unaware they have to.
2 x DRX 890 , Sky BB with Sky Hub , IPhone , ipad , nexus 7.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
caesarome

Most TVs will not automatically pick up a signal via a hdmi cable so as Jane says above press "tv" then "help" to locate the picture manually.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Super User
Annie+UK

JanePar wrote:
Try pressing the input button on the TV remote and selecting HDMI 1 or whatever number port it's connected to apologies if you've done this it's just some people are unaware they have to.

I have a LG Smart full HD TV and yes you do have to press the input button as there is no auto switching over HDMI.

On my remote the Input button is on the second row 3rd from the left labelled Input with a picture of a TV screen and an arrow.

Annie..........        Xbox Gamertag: Annie UK

Sky customer since 1989 - βeta tester for: WindowsTechPreview, Xbox One, Windows Phone, Sky+HD etc... Hardware: DRX890 to LG 32LV550T, DRX895 to LG 42LV550T, Lumia 1520, Xbox One,, iPad Air 2 (128GB WiFi)

If someone helps you please click the thumbs up icon and/or accept as a solution, in the post options, where appropriate. Thanks.
Getting There
shak799

Thank you all. That's worked a treat. However, i now have another problem. I connectd my very old DVD player via scart direct to the TV. The TV does not have a scart socket but it came with a scart to an AV/RGB adapter so used this to connect the DVD player directly to the TV, i selected the AV input device but then the SKY stopped working and i had to select HDMI input to switch back to sky. I'm guessing i need to connect the DVD player to my sky box? Will this via the Red, white and yellow connectors?

Super User
Mark39

No, you can't connect the DVD player to your Sky box. The SCART socket on a Sky+HD is an output socket only.

I'm afraid you'll have to get used to manually switching between the HDMI input and the AV input on your TV - it will no longer switch automatically.

Super User
Annie+UK

Connecting the DVD via SCART should be fine, SCART does auto switch this is why you have to re-select HDMI. The TV should only switch when you take the DVD out of standby.

The Sky box only has output and NO inputs, it is normal use of a modern TV for you to have to manually select the input device, I have 3 HDMI devices attached to mine and switch to whatever input I require using the remote.

SCART will usually give a better picture than Red/White/Yellow.

BTW, you can get some DVD units that up scale to HD and connect via HDMI :smileyhappy:

Annie..........        Xbox Gamertag: Annie UK

Sky customer since 1989 - βeta tester for: WindowsTechPreview, Xbox One, Windows Phone, Sky+HD etc... Hardware: DRX890 to LG 32LV550T, DRX895 to LG 42LV550T, Lumia 1520, Xbox One,, iPad Air 2 (128GB WiFi)

If someone helps you please click the thumbs up icon and/or accept as a solution, in the post options, where appropriate. Thanks.
Getting There
Zoidburg

Certain compatible HDMI devices will auto switch, my Sony Blu-Ray will turn my Samsung TV on/over via HDMI.

Shame the Sky box can't do the same.

Wise Council
John8372

Sky haven't implemented Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) from the HDMI spec as it optional. Shame they didn't add it to the DRX890/895.

Getting There
Meerkat7

Been trying to connect my Sky HD to my new L.E.D. TV for the past 3 hours, when all I needed to do was press the input button on the TV remote!!!

Thanks you're a life saver!!! Here's to many happy hours in front of my new TV and a bit of peace from the wife and kids!!!

Getting There
Denmar

Hi - just realised we have a snag trying to set up our new LG TV. The TV hasn't got a scart socket and our (white) Sky + box hasn't got a HDMI socket. Are we faced with no choice but to upgrade our Sky package to HD OR is there another solution please?
Super User
Mark39

What other input sockets does your TV have, other than HDMI?

Getting There
Denmar

Hi - it has component and composite inputs (not that I understand the difference !). The TV had leads for both in the box but they are way to short to reach so hubby is out in garage looking to see if he can find some old ones he is sure he kept.
Getting There
Sweetness2

Hi. What TV remote are people exactly referring to please?