Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Michelle+Sheppard
Accepted Solution

Trying to change the main account holder

I am trying to change the name of the main account holder on my Sky account but cannot find the "Manage Account" link to do this. When I click on the link on the Sky ID info page it just takes me to another page of info about Sky ID.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Diamond)
Skytime

Re: Trying to change the main account holder

You cannot change the name of the account holder for the sky account! you would have to get the account holder to give their 31days cancellation notice and then book for a new sky account to be set up and started in the new name !!
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Michelle+Sheppard

After getting divorced the main account holder is no longer living at the address and the account is payed from my bank account. The main account holder is not willing to provide his assistance.

Senior Member (Diamond)
Skytime

Well then any contractual obligations will remain the accoutn holders responsibility ! what you'd need to do is cancell your dd thats paying for his account .. call up sky and start up a new account under your name ! you are then responsible for your new account and himself is responsible for anything owed or related to the old sky account ! again you cannot change the name on the contract!
Occasional Visitor
cazzy1968

I too am having problems changing the name on the account, for the past year my ex partner has not lived in the house, I had asked a year ago for all the account to be changed into my name, with both of us contacting them to do so.  But no we were not allowed.  I was however allowed to change the billing to come from my own bank account which is has done so now for the past year.  Well he has now decided to get sky at his new place and has been told he will have to cancel this one.  So that he has done.  I have phoned up asking to start a new account and explained the situation and been told I can not have sky untill 30 days after the previous cancellation date.

Why is it so hard for sky to produce a form that both parties sign over the account to one of them.  Sureley it can not be that hard.  I now have to wait without sky for so many days/weeks untill they allow me to have sky again. 

Im being punished by sky for wanting to stay with them..  totally wrong system....  you have willingingly taken my money for the past year know that the bank acount was not that of the account holder.

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi cazzy1968, I'm sorry that this has caused some frustration however it is not something we offer. For a transfer to take place accounts have to be closed and a contract taken out in the new name.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
Fish84

Hi All

I too have had trouble trying to change the name of the main account holder, i moved into my sisters house recently, while she moved in with her fiancee. She is having another TV package fitted by another operator, while i said i wanted to keep the sky at the house.

When i rung up and changed the bank details for the Direct Debit, i also confirmed that the name would need to be changed as well, to which i was told No! I then argued this point before being told it could be done by another department. I then got put through to the other department and then got told No again! It is an absolute shambles. Sky is willing to take a change in bank details, yet is not willing to take a change in Name! It dosnt make sense! Its Not Logical!

Whats the difference between a set of numbers and a set of letters? Yet the stupid thing is, when i logged in the Mysky area of the website, you can change the name and details of the account holder on there, which i have obvioulsy done.

So Sky why does your policy say you can't change your name? when your Mysky area allows it and considering your willing to allow people to change bank details to ensure you get your money, but are not willing to allow someone to change a few letters on a computer screen? Explain?

Community Coordinator
kirkie50

Hi Fish84

Thanks for your post with regards changing the name on an account.

We would not change the name on an account, when you have accessed MySky and changed your details there this would not change the name on the subscription account. The account will still be in your sisters name and the only way to change this would be for her to cancel the account and take a new one out in your name.

The only exception to this would be where an account holder passed away and their partner/ family member wished to keep the account active.

Thanks

kirkie50
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Visitor
albarka

hello Adisor,

I have been with Sky for the past two years with my name as account holder, I became redundancy at work months ago and I couldnt foot my bill for the past three months, my wife intend to clear up the bill but gave me a condition before that and the condition is that the account must be changed to her name as every money she spend must be evidenced with her name.

I have rang the customer service for advise and i was told to write a letter to your head office and add a copy of our wedding certificate for the clearification which am about to do now but am a bit concern with all am reading in the forum,so i need to be sure if the account holder information is changeable in this kind of my instance.

please i need to get the reply asap.

Thanks in advance.

Occasional Visitor
exasperatedtohell

I have been divorced for nearly a decade and the direct debits have continued to be paid by me, at the same address. But I have attempted on several occasions to get the account name changed over to me, as it is exasperating to continue receiving mail from Sky that I pay for, but which is addressed to her. I had on a previous occasion been told by somebody at Sky that it could be achieved if I wrote explaining the circumstances, but that apparently was incorrect information.

I have just received back a response from Sky yesterday stating that the reason this cannot be done, is because of the Data Protection Act. Apparently Sky take this very seriously, apart from when a journalist working for one of their newspapers wishes to hack into a private telephone.

I have suggested that a way round this Data Protection concern of theirs, is for the original account holder to provide a letter stating that he/she is happy to have the name of the main account holder transferred to another party nominated by them. Surely this would overcome the Data Protection Act and stop the need for all this rigmarole of cancelling accounts and starting new ones. They really ought to accept that provided that the direct debit continues to be paid, that ought to be sufficient for them.

I have already told them that if this is not a satisfactory way to resolve the matter, I will probably cancel the direct debit and go with Virgin Media instead.

Super User
Mark39

Yes, Sky will only permit transfer of ownership of an account except in very specific circumstances, e.g. the death of the accountholder.

As you've indicated, your only way of resolving this is to get the accountholder to give the 31 days notice required to cancel the account and to start again in your name.

Just cancelling your direct debit won't result in the cancellation of your ex-partner's Sky account. It will just mean he or she will owe an increasing amount to Sky, which, if not settled will result in debt collection agents being involved, and an adverse credit rating being applied.