Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Super User
Scubbie

Re: There is an IP address conflict - another user on the network is using the same IP address

That shows that everything appears to be working now. Have you had any recent messages informing you of an IP conflict?

You have the Netgear DG934G router, which is a good thing.

I would recommend that you edit out the MAC addresses in your post though as they do pose a security issue.

What you are looking for is a duplicate LAN IP address in all the devices.

A daft thing to look for might include that same IP address used on a Laptop for both the LAN and WiFi adaptors., where you have set them manually.

As a good practise, I would also suggest that you make a written record of which IP address has been assigned to which device. Should you get a new device later, you may wish to assign it a number that doesn't conflict with one already set.

Saying 'thank you' to someone who has helped you is always appreciated. If someone has helped you on this forum, please click the 'Likes' button under their post to show your appreciation here.

Current Sky Kit: DRX895(4f3155), DRX890(4f31a9), Sky Hub R101 on Sky Fibre Pro
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
Goldenlady

Re: There is an IP address conflict - another user on the network is using the same IP address

How do I edit a previous post.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
Goldenlady

We don't get duplicate IP message,just get kicked off. How do I edit that previous post

Super User
Scubbie

Goldenlady wrote:

We don't get duplicate IP message,just get kicked off. How do I edit that previous post

First, to edit a post of your, click 'Options' on the post and select 'Edit Post' from there.

With regards to the Duplicate IP address, that was one issue you started the thread with, so it seems to have been resolved. :smileyhappy:

Now with regards to being kicked off, there are a few things, each needs to be eliminated.

Could you search for a tool on the MetaGeek site call 'inSSIDer' and download and install it please. Use it to see which WiFi channels are least used where you are. You are specifically looking at channels 1, 6, 11 & 13. There is an overlap issue with other channels, these offer the clearest options. Often BT are now using channel 7 which overlaps with channels 6 & 11. Whilst 13 overlaps with 11, a good part of the channel is clean.

The graphics on inSSIDer make this description clear.

Once you have found out the best channel to use, you need to set your router to use it as a fixed setting.

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser.

Enter the username & password as before (admin & sky).

Click on the 'Setup' tab.

Change the 'Channel' to either 1, 6, 11 or 13.

Click 'Apply'

You can do this without disconnecting any PC.

Next take a look around where the router is and where you are using any WiFi PCs/laptops. You are looking for any possible source of interference. Examples include:

* Microwave oven (within 2m)

* TV set

* Video Sender

Also, using inSSIDer, look at the signal strength. How strong is it? An excellent signal would have an Amplitude of 45dB or better. 60dB should be usable, but weaker signals could be the cause of the issue.

You make wish to move the router around a little. Feel free to use inSSIDer to see if the signal improves.

If you have a particularly weak point somewhere in your home, there are a couple of solutions available. Post here and I can provide further details if this is the case.

Saying 'thank you' to someone who has helped you is always appreciated. If someone has helped you on this forum, please click the 'Likes' button under their post to show your appreciation here.

Contributor
Goldenlady

I've installed this program but don't know what I am looking for

Contributor
Goldenlady

OK I think Ive decifered it. I've changed the channel and I will see how it goes. I have observed that my neighbour is not in tonight and I have not been disconnected yet.

Super User
Scubbie

Good.

Keep monitoring things. It might pay you to allow the program to run continuously in the background an allow it to see what is happening.

Contributor
Goldenlady

OK constant disconnects and neighbour not home. Have been thinking about what might have changed recently as we have been with sky for  years and have never had a problem with the connection before. We have the same computers and everything is situated where it always has been. However, the day these disconnections started happening we all renewed our Norton protection, removing the old one and replacing it with a new one. Could this have anything to do with it.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Goldenlady, 

There's no harm in testing this by turning off Norton's Firewall for a short period of time just to see if it is kicking in and causing disconnection. If this fixes the issue you may need to contact Symantec for Support.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Contributor
Goldenlady

Won't turning off the firewall put my security at risk?

Contributor
Goldenlady

and what do you mean see if it is kicking in

Super User
caesarome

Goldenlady wrote:

Won't turning off the firewall put my security at risk?

Your router has a firewall built into it so there is no harm in turning it off for a while.

"See if it kicks in" - means see if you get this IP clash problem with Norton turned off.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Graham1976

check this link: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Technical-Issues/Router-disconnect-issues-solved-possible-solu...

But for IP address conflicts do the following:

1) go to run and type cmd

2)type ipconfig /release

3)type ipconfig /renew

maybe this help.

Graham1976

you should only have to release and renew on one pc/laptop. It's only one system you have to change after all.

Contributor
Goldenlady

Got a new wireless router from sky and the laptops all connected and working fine. The problem now is that there is no phone line and the sky box can not connect to broadband . Can't ring sky cos no line. What do I do now.