Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Explorer
Mart9012

Successful Use of Old Router as Wireless Bridge Repeater

[ Edited ]

In the hope that someone finds this useful...

I have my Sky Sagem 2504N router next to my master socket at the front of the house.  I don't have many issues about it's wireless capability as the router actually is pretty good.  Once I replace my "g" network adaptors with an "N" I'm sure things will be even better.

My problem is that I have my Sky+ HD box about 3m away from the router along with an XBox360 (old non wireless version) and I don't really want to run 2 cat5 cables to connect to them.  So I found a DLink DIR615 "N"router (no modem built in so not so useful) in my spares box and decided to turn it into a wireless bridge repeater so that it can wirelessly connect to my Sagem and provide a wired internet connection to both devices. Given that a Sky wireless network adaptor is 60 pounds and an XBox one is around 45 pounds it's worth a go.  It also provides another source of wireless connectivity and so extends the wireless signal around the house.

The standard DLink firmware doesn't support a Bridge Repeater function so I upgraded it to DD-WRT firmware (available for a wide range of routers) and followed their setup instructions.  It's fiddly for newbies but I found the job a good learning opportunity and pretty straightforward.

I'm sure a lot of us have old redundant routers after using different ISPs and this works well.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
StacieB

Re: Successful Use of Old Router as Wireless Bridge Repeater

Hi Mart9012,

Thanks for your post :smileyhappy:

You have some really useful information there, I'm sure a lot of people will find this valuable on the forum.

Thanks again for taking the time to share this.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Getting There
speno1961

Hi Mart9012,

Very useful info you posted, thanks. I to have a d-link 615 router flashed with the dd-wrt firmware. However, my adsl modem/router supplied by sky is a d-link 2640s. I am having difficulty getting the modem router to communicate with the dir 615 wirelessly. Any chance you, or anyone else, could supply the settings you used for the Sagem modem/router. This would maybe give me a better idea were I am going wrong with my asdl modem/router.

Thanks

Jim

I'm New Here
Simon+The+Pieman

I've now got bt infinity after having sky bb for a few years. I use powerline home plugs in the house  and I have a network attached server (nas) box on my network that I stream films and music from. This all works well apart from wireless access at the bottom of my garden. So I have left over  and old v1 netgear sky router that I wanted to use as an extender/repeater. So as I have my shed electrified I installed another powerline. I  factory reset the router, then logged in using admin/sky, went to the IP LAN setting unchecked the dhcp server box (otherwise it would clash with the BTHub) then went to the wireless setting changed the ssid to the same as the BTHub and then put in the same wireless key as the hub and saved settings. Next I plugged it into the shed powerline adapter and got out my galaxy s2 phone, it found the router and connected automatically with a five bar signal. So when in the garden we can all be on our phones and without using any phone data allowance at all.

Explorer
Dextrovert

I have found myself in the unusual position of having 3 redundant routers and thus, enabling the possibility of my entire house (and garden) having wireless access. I live in a 300 year old house, so theres lots of deadspots. 

Is there a way around having to install the firmware above? If I have to then that is fine. 

In which case the Sky HD box upstairs will finally have Anytime+ whoop!

Thanks

Sally

Getting There
willyc

can you please give me a step by step description of how to flash my dlink dir 615 please mate i would be very gratefull