Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Explorer
Quackpot

Subtitles on Sky Go - any news?

Dear Sky,

Sky Go has been around for a couple of years now, and subtitles are still not available. All other major on demand services seem to include subtitles. Can you please explain why this is not the case for Sky, as it is extremely disappointing for users Sky Go that are hard of hearing / need to use subtitles due to external noise.

Thank you.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Kris+McD

Re: Subtitles on Sky Go - any news?

Hi Quackpot 

Thanks for your post. 

There is a reply to this here, hope this helps. 

Cheers 

Kris+McD
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Mentor
Brock123

They really do have the most incompetent app 'developers' ever don't they.   I can only imagine that it is some poor untrained 14 year old locked in a garden shed and paid in Haribo.  

------------------------------------------------
Android version of "Sky News for iPad" please - we did it for Sky Go, don't stop there!
Explorer
Quackpot

Hi Kris,

Thanks for your response.  I'm afraid it doesn't help whatsoever, because Sky is clearly not doing anything about this and it seems like the company couldn't give a moneys about the situation either.  I know this is probably out of your control, so please don't think I am having a go at you.  I pay a significant amount to Sky every month for a subscription and feel let down by lack of such a basic service.

Are you able to share an e-mail address or a physical address, with ideally a name, that I can write to about this?

Thanks.

Community Coordinator
Kris+McD

Hi Quackpot 

Thanks for your post and sorry for the late reply. 

I’ll have one of our team look into this further and will send a Private Message shortly requesting more details.

If you could reply to this, that would be great.

Cheers

Kris+McD
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Explorer
Quackpot

Hi all,

So after some back and forth via PM on this, the response I have finally been given about the lack of subtitles on Sky Go is the following:

"This issue has been raised a few times and the reason for this is due to the file size would result in the length of time it takes to download content being greatly extended."

Now, I'm not hugely versed in the world of technology, but have done some video conversions in the past.  Surely adding subtitles to a video is simply certain text being overlayed at different points in the video?  I really doubt that this has much of an affect on file size, would be happy to concede if someone versed in video tech can confirm this.

The above said, 4oD, BBC iPlayer and ITV Player all allow for subtitles.  One would think that this can't be that much of an issue as most, if not all, other major players on the market include them.

Thanks.

Graduate
deafguy

"This issue has been raised a few times and the reason for this is due to the file size would result in the length of time it takes to download content being greatly extended."

They are LYING - want the real truth???

Email received from Sky Support on 18/11/2012

----

Dear ****

Thank you for your e-mail regarding "Subtitles" on our Sky Go and On Demand Service

At the moment we don’t have any plans to add subtitles to content on Sky Go, live or on demand.   As we are under no obligation/regulatory commitment to include subtitles in the OTT space.

However, we are constantly looking to improve Sky Go for our customers but at this time we cannot confirm when subtitles will be available on the service .  

Kind regards

Gordon

Customer Support "

------

So that is the truth, Sky have no legal obligation to provide subtitles, therefore they won't do it.

As for the "download content file too big" - must've TRIED it to KNOW that answer. My simple response was, just do it and let the people decide. Nope....

Netflix - £5.99 per month, promises 80% subtitled 2013, 100% 2014. They already have subtitles on a lot of stuff now, simply search "subtitles" on their website and it brings up everything with subtitles (its a LOT). I tested on the PC and Xbox, both will turn subtitles on. 

LoveFilm - no subtitles and are looking into it.

The way subtitles work is basically a text file with timecodes in it. The player simply loads the text file in the background and matches the time stamps in the text file to the video. When it hits a certain point, along side the time stamp is the subtitles. The player simply overlays this on the screen. The time stamp tells it when to turn on and off. Text files are less than 0.010mb. Compared to a HD film of over 1600mb.  

Explorer
Quackpot

Thanks @deafguy - not surprised I got a dodgy answer. Must have taken a while to come up with given the amount of time it took to provide the response.

My £40+/month Sky subscription ends early next year, if I recall correctly. I'll certainly look at what other providers have to offer.