Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Re: Subtitles (Lack Off)

Hi gazneb,

It's unfortunate that you first post is under such difficult circumstances, however it's still a pleasure to welcome you to the Sky Forum.

I can understand why you are annoyed by this, however the reason that I provided in my previous post is correct. I know this is frustrating for you as your partner needs the subtitles and I apologise for us not being able to provide this. This may change in the future so that you will be able to enjoy Anytime+. If it does we will make you aware of this.

If I can assist any further then don't hesitate to let me know.

Regards.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Explorer
skyhatesthedeaf

[ Edited ]

Good for you GregorA and thank you Sky for discriminating against your deaf customers. 

I have perfect hearing and I don't see why deaf people should be able enjoy the same programmes as me on Sky Anytime. If Sky were to offer subtitles to their paying deaf customers, it would completely devalue all the effort I put into actually LISTENING to the programmes. I would personally regard it as CHEATING, if paying deaf customers could actually understand what was being said in the programmes they've paid to watch without looking confused and asking the TV to repeat itself.

You see Gregor, the problem with deaf people is that they aren't like you and me. We've worked hard to avoid hereditary deafness, childhood diseases, working in noisy environments, etc, while deaf people think they can sail through life without a care in the world and expect Ruport Murdoch to foot the bill for telling them what is being said on TV.

If deaf pople love written words so much, why don't they just switch off their TVs and read a book instead! Perhaps then they would stop pestering busy workers at Sky like yourself with their pathetic attempts to be treated as human beings. That would free up more time for Sky to create even better 3D, quadrophonic sound on programmes for those of us who CAN hear.

It is so refreshing for me to see a big company like Sky abandon any pretence of treating its paying deaf customers fairly  and tell them "NO! You may have paid for it but you can't have it and we aren't even going to give a decent reason". I'm tired of the politically correct, wishy-washy liberalism that exists in this country so I say "well done Sky" for having the backbone to put Rupert Murdoch's yacht fund before the needs of its paying deaf customers

I for one would be happy to see all subtitles removed from all programmes. My wife, who is profoundly deaf, relies on subtitles but those little captions slightly annoy me so I always keep the subtitles turned off. When she complains, I just tell her that I hope to allow her to turn on the subtitles sometime in the future. Then, if she continues complaining...I just ignore her.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi skyhatesthedeaf, 

First of all I would like to welcome you to the forum. 

I can assure you that GregorA was not discriminating against any of our customers. I am really sorry that you feel he has done so. He was  merely advising that Anytime+ doesn't have subtitles available at present but if this option is to become available in the future, we would let the community know. I can understand this would be beneficial to some of our customers, and we thank you for your comments and suggestions. Sky constantly make improvements and changes to all of our services and products and we value customer feedback.  

We do cater for customers that have hearing and sight problems, more information about these services can be found here

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Mentor
fogstershadow

I'm willing to guess Sky will be offering subtitles on Anytime+ soon, for a price.

Explorer
skyhatesthedeaf

Don't worry Anne, I'm on Sky's side here. Like Sky, I don't agree with the idea that all programme content should be available to all paying customers.  I also don't believe that deaf people should have the right to cancel their contract by any other method than by phone so I applaud Sky for making a phone call the only clear option to cancel your contract. It certainly solves the problem of deaf customers constantly threatening to end their contracts.

The biggest issue I have with deaf people wanting Anytime to be subtitled is the fact that deaf people pay less for Sky. It defeats the point of them paying a discounted rate to Sky if they can actually understand the programmes as well as any hearing person.

If deaf people pay less they should get less and I don't think any reasonable person could argue otherwise.  So Anne, can you please confirm for us all that deaf people receive a discount on their subscriptions on account of a lot of the content being useless to them by lacking subtitles.

I am sure that once you have confirmed that deaf customers receive less because they pay less, the complaints will stop.

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi skyhatesthedeaf,

Sky subscriptions remain the same price for all customers, depending on individual packages that each customer chooses to take. Sky offer numerous accessibility services to cater for all our customers and these are detailed on this link

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator

Mentor
fogstershadow

skyhatesthedeaf wrote:

Don't worry Anne, I'm on Sky's side here. Like Sky, I don't agree with the idea that all programme content should be available to all paying customers.  I also don't believe that deaf people should have the right to cancel their contract by any other method than by phone so I applaud Sky for making a phone call the only clear option to cancel your contract. It certainly solves the problem of deaf customers constantly threatening to end their contracts.

The biggest issue I have with deaf people wanting Anytime to be subtitled is the fact that deaf people pay less for Sky. It defeats the point of them paying a discounted rate to Sky if they can actually understand the programmes as well as any hearing person.

If deaf people pay less they should get less and I don't think any reasonable person could argue otherwise.  So Anne, can you please confirm for us all that deaf people receive a discount on their subscriptions on account of a lot of the content being useless to them by lacking subtitles.

I am sure that once you have confirmed that deaf customers receive less because they pay less, the complaints will stop.

LOL

Explorer
skyhatesthedeaf

Wow. Even I'm quite shocked by that. You actually take the same money from deaf customers and give them less content?

Although I have no problems with Sky treating their deaf customers as 2nd class customers, I do strongly disapprove of people being ripped off and I am particularly against false advertising.

How do you explain this quote from Sky's FAQs...

"Do Sky Anytime programmes carry subtitles and/or audio description?
Sky Anytime programmes and films with subtitles and/or audio description provided by the channel will display them according to the settings you have chosen for watching live Sky broadcasts. You can change these settings by accessing the Services menu."

Isn't this just a complete lie?

Explorer
skyhatesthedeaf

Perhaps OFCOM and the Advertising Standards Authority can shed some light on the legality of these claims. I'm so intrigued as to whether or not the claims are legal, I've notified both of them and sent screenshots of the claims.

Getting There
Deafandfedup

I am absolutely disgusted with some of the comments made by 'skyhatesthedeaf'!

Clearly you are bigoted in a big way and while everyone else tries to stay polite, I won't. Perhaps one day when some illness or accident disables you, I hope that you get the same compassion that you dish out!!

Sky....I am sure you are trying your best to accommodate your deaf customers :smileyhappy:

Explorer
skyhatesthedeaf

sat·ire

noun /ˈsaˌtīr/ 
satires, plural

The use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues

i·ro·ny/ˈīrənē/

Noun:
The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
Explorer
DAVIS-A8

:smileyfrustrated:HOW MUCH LONGER DO WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR YOU TO ADD THE SUBTITLES ON

ANYTIME+?  I FEEL CHEATED.  I WAS TOLD OVER TWO YEARS AGO THAT SUBTITLES WOULD BE ON ALL THE  PROGRAMMES.  CAN YOU IMAGINE TRYING TO LIPREAD THE TV PROGRAMMES WHILST ALL THE FAMILY

AROUND YOU ARE ABLE TO HEAR WHAT IS HAPPENING.  YOU WOULD FEEL COMPLETELY LEFT OUT

WOULDN'T YOU?          ANNE D

sent from My iPad
I'm New Here
oetehoo

I have been reading a lot of posts on this subject and thought I would add my own findings.

I have a Sky+ HD box and I have had various problems with subtitles which I depend on,I cannot watch a programme without them. Over the last couple of years I have experienced subtitles that go missing,freeze and go slow.But something I have recently noticed is the lack of subtitles on Universal chanel.But they are on Virgin Media.I got into Breakout Kings but cannot watch it on Sky as there are no subtitles but can on my Tivio with subtitles.

So who is responsible for them Universal or the providers.

I cannot watch On Demand or Anytime because of the lack of subtitles.That is the same will all providers.

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi oetehoo,

As this is your first post I would like to welcome you to the help forum :smileyhappy:

Can you advise if the Breakout Kings had the "S" letter when you pressed the "i" button for information?

Thanks,

Anne
Community Coordinator

Getting There
Steev-jo

Just wanted to keep the lack of subtitles on anytime plus up there as an active issue. I was pleased when sky penned up the service to non sky broadband users but the lack of subtitles is a real pain. Sky do a pretty good job of subtitling their content and it's a real shame it doesn't carry over into anytime plus. Yes like many I've complained about the subtitles not working from time to time but when they aren't there at all you realise what a good service they normally offer. Come on sky get this sorted, the issue has been around for ages and it is discrimination however you dress it up. Get a plan together and tell us when the wait will be over. You can do it.