Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Frequent Visitor
Steve-60

Re: Subtitles (Lack Off)

Xign wrote:

According to Ofcom all HD simulcasts of an SD channel (i.e. ITV1 HD, Channel 4 HD Channel 5 HD) HAVE to be subtitled from 2011.

Some progress at last. Channel 4 HD and E4 HD now have subtitles.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Fiferlass

I have just received my new HD box and anytime+ and there are nothing that I can watch from it as I am deaf and there are no subtitles on the anytime+ I wish now that I hadnt wasted £199 pounds for it as a lot of the HD channels dont have subtitles either very upset now. I really do hope that something will improve in this area.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Tim+A

Re: Subtitles (Lack Of)

Just received my new 2 Sky boxes  as my previous boxes were Thomson boxes which didnt work with Anytime +. Was really pleased with Sky that they replaced boxes free of charge. Installed, Turned on, Red button, ..............

Loads of content BUT

What a dissappointment. No subtitles at all. Basically a waste of time for me as being hard of hearing I rely totally on subtitles.

For the first time in a long time i'm beginning to be tempted by Virgin. Never thought Id say that.

Occasional Visitor
Bucoops

Another victim of the subtitles freeze, EPG freeze and so forth here. Only just come back to Sky after ditching them over a year ago because of pathetic customer service.

Just to show what we've been through since we've come back (after being enticed by a half price for a year deal):

3 faulty boxes (seems the issue with the 3rd box is what has been discussed here)

Cancelled our broadband order without telling us because apparently we were supposed to pay for phone line installation which already existed

Said they'd sent out the router which had been returned to them because noone collected from post office - then it turned out they'd never actually sent it.

Never returned calls when promised.

Allowed to keep an old box for a short time to watch what was on it and being given a temporary multi room card so we could continue to record new stuff onto the new box - only to find out that we couldn't watch what was on the old box after all because the card wouldn't decrypt it.

Given anytime+ for free to compensate - to find out that there's hardly anything on it and no subtitles!

Virgin look like a bargain to be honest, despite we'd need to take the whole tv package to get the channels we want when we only need 3 on sky.

So, Sky - why aren't your telephone people aware of this fault, and why has it not been corrected yet?

And to everyone else - why am I so dumb that I haven't ditched sky for breach of contract and gone with virgin or BT or just bought a betamax player and some tapes for a technology jump?

Occasional Visitor
julesadsy

I really wish I had read all these "comments" before I ordered and took delivery of my new SKY+HD box it would have saved me a lot of heartache and frustration!  I too am deaf and rely on subtitles, I've had this box just one week and am at my wits end, no doubt Sky will be sending me a very large invoice for a service I've subscribed to but cannot watch...Sky really are not interested in their deaf customers and trying to get through to someone on the telephone who does not speak clear fluent English and can give instructions in clear fluent English to someone who is deaf is definitely a struggle.  Fortunately I'm within my 30 day time limit, so will probably cancel this service and try someone else, namely...VIRGIN!!!

Frequent Visitor
Steve-60

[ Edited ]

Bucoops.

With regards to subtitle freezes. You could try a manual download of the latest software. See http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-Sky-3D/New-software-26-80-now-available-April-15th/td-p/66245

I'm no longer getting subtitle freezes on playback.

Back on the subject of Anytime+ subtitles. In the second post in this thread madde last November, Malcom-M said "We understand how important accessibility is to customers and hope to add these next year." Well we are now one third of the way through the year. Is there any more new on this, even if its just updated planning info.

Regular Visitor
grace+rumble

It is nothing to do with our sky box, the subtitles come from you, as i said, they go off way to fast, so you can't read them, miss lines, miss last words, they even double over on the subs, sometimes, yet! when we watch ordanary channel, they are fine, but if we turn to sky, to watch what we have on the ordanary channel, they are all wrong, like corrie, emerdale enders. on sky they do as i said above, i am hard of hearing, and really need the subs. please try to sort it. as i said before, you must have people who check the screens to make sure that things are working properly.

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi grace+rumble, I understand that subtitle issue have a big impact. We have had some broadcast and firmware issues affecting subtitles recently. If you are continuing to have issues we would need to know program names, dates and times as well as the version and model number of the box.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
grace+rumble

Still waiting for Sky T.V, to sort out the subtitles, don't they ever look at the the complaints that are on here, i am hard of hearing, along with many other people.

ONCE AGAIN, WHEN WE ARE ON SKY TV..... THE SUBS FLY OFF SO VERY QUICK, THAT WE DON'T GET A CHANCE TO READ THEM, THEY MISS OUT SENTENCES, MISS OUT THE LAST WORDS OF A SENTENCE, OVER LAP ON SOME OF THE SUBS.  THEY COME UP IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES. ALONG WITH MANY OTHER THINGS THAT ARE WRONG. WE ALL PAY FOR SKY TV, SO SURELY THEY MUST BE SOMEONE WHO WATCHES AND CHECKS THESE THINGS. I AM GETTING REALLY FEDUP WITH REAPTING MYSELF, PLEASE DON'T TELL US TO CHECK OUR BOX, WHEN THERE ARE SO, SO SO, MANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Visitor
grace+rumble

He is my reply from the 31. 4.11. its on all programs every day, so good giving you times and dates, as its all the time.  Version number 9f2306...... model number 6.2.14 man. number pace. i sure hope that you can help with this, but, there so many coplaints about the sub titles, i am sure it must be you. please please help. Unless of course we all have the same make and model

Regular Visitor
grace+rumble

i have done all that was asked of me, but still waiting for a reply, and something to be done about the subtitles.

metallicorphan

I think Anytime+ is a great idea,but unfortunately i will probably not bother with it as there are no subtitles for the programes listed,the reply on page one has given me hope that SKY do plan on(or hope to) putting subtitles out for Anytime+ next year

meanwhile i will continue to Sky+ the movies from the actual movie channels instead for now :smileyhappy:

fogstershadow

Actually the statement about subtitles being made available "next year" was made last year, so there is hope. Although being as Anytime+ was supposedly avaiable last year and a lot of us only got it this year, don't hold your breath.

Regular Visitor
shark3r1

I for one have given up with sky subtitling and all the useless admin posts asking ppl for the same details for the same problems, for the same channels, going to move to virgins tivo offer asap and be done with it.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi shark3r1,

I can truly appreciate your frustrations on this matter, however this is an issue on which we are still working on.

We will post any updates as we receive them.

Many Thanks,