Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Getting There
PMordecai
Accepted Solution

Strange 9-digit number appearing on screen

While watching the England v Australia rugby match on Sky Sports 1 this afternoon, I noticed that a 9-digit number (3 sets of 3 digits) kept appearing just above the Sky Sports logo in the top right-hand corner of the screen.

I have no idea what this number was and when the match finished I even took my viewing card out to check to see if the number in question was present on the card - but it was a completely different number.

Does anyone know what this was and why it kept appearing?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Staff
Malcolm-M

Re: Strange 9-digit number appearing on screen

Hi PMordecai, As part of our Domestic Broadcast Security arrangements, a nine digit number may appear in the right hand corner of screen for up to five minutes during live football broadcasts or sporting events.

This is not related to your individual subscription and is generated automatically as part of the broadcast. It will not affect your viewing experience in any way.

Malcolm-M
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

It is an anti-piracy measure, it helps Sky track down those people showing live matches illegally.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Getting There
PMordecai

Thanks to you both.

Malcolm - no it didn't affect my viewing experience. Though as I Sky customer since 1997 and a regular viewer of live sporting events (Football, Cricket, Rugby and so on) this is the first time I'd ever seen this number appear and so, as much as anything, I was curious to find out what it was.

caesarome - kind of makes sense, now you have explained. Hadn't occurred to me that's what it might have been for at the time. Thought maybe that my digibox was doing something cruel and unusual.

Thanks again.

Super User
caesarome

If you ever watch the news on the likes of ITV and the BBC when they are dowing thier quick round up of the goals in the Premier League games you might see these figures in the pitures they use depening on if they were broadcasting them when the goal was scored.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

I do not work for Sky.
I'm New Here
rmbanks

Its ok saying that but why should subscribers put up with an obtrusive number on screen ??

Super User
caesarome

I don't see a problem with it myself as the numbers are in the top right hand corner out of the way. Put it this way how do Sky know who is distributing their pictures illegally ? By doing it like this they can track down the naughty people.

I do not work for Sky.
Mentor
Pete+H2K

Hi,

Its the same with Pubs and Clubs. If you watch Sky in a Pub or Club, then your see a pint glass icon, this is so Sky can pop in to a venue and check at a quick glance that they have the correct subscription. If its missing then they have a domestic subscription and sooner or later will be caught out.

Cheers

Pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Getting There
PaulMK

[ Edited ]

Hi Malcolm.

I had to write in and disagree with your solution to this issue.

If it was a solution im sure it would have stated how to stop this number being transmitted by Broadcast.

And your reply did not really tell the full story.

For example.

This issues doew not happen on Sky HD boxes.  ONLY  Sky + boxes.

The priracy reason not cut it either,  as it does not happen on all live sports events.

All sports providers have their copyrights.  for example, it does not show on live NFL games or Live Tennis.

Even Sky engineers are not aware of the said issue.

changing your Sky+ box will not cure the issue. Niether will changing your viewing card.

Done both with no joy.

And probably most important, it Does affect the viewing.

If Something appears on the screen that serves no purpose of course it will affect your viewing.

Imagine the upraor if the BBC did it during Eastenders.

I have had this issues since Dec 10.   Im trying to get this number removed.  this is something of a problem.

It is only on my multi-room Sky+ box.  Not on my HD box downstairs.

I was even told by Sky help center that to cure the issue i would to change to an HD box on my multiroom subscription.  Free i asked,  I will see what deals we are having at the moment.

Hold on....  I need to buy an HD box to cure a Sky Broadcast issue.  I think not.

Any ideas of avery quick resolution to this issue Malcolm?

A direct telephone number to Broadcast would be a start. 

I mean a year is a long time to put up with something there is no need for.

Thanks.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi PaulMK,

Unfortunately, we are unable to stop this number from showing on some of the broadcasts.  As Malcolm has stated, this is part of our security arrangements to prevent fraud.

This number is placed in a position where it is not intended to disrupt or detract from your viewing experience in any way.

If you have any further queries then please feel free to pop us another post.

Thanks,

Getting There
PaulMK

Cheers Garry,  thank you for the message.

But at least 2 questions come from your response.

Firstly, if it is a security check, why is it that im still for want of a word still labbeled and recieveing this number for over a year?

Surely a check every now and then is fine,  but all the time i think not.

The telephone connection is not checked every day.??  (when in contract)

Secondly, you say this number is in a place not to disrupt or detract from my viewing pleasure.  if i feel it is i should be able to turn it off at will.  maybe a software fix needs to be engineered to allow me to remove the said number. (much the same as i can the rad button).

Like i said in my earlier post.  over a year i have had this issue and im now losing my patience.

How did or do Sky determine who is a fraud threat?? 

What makes it worse Garry is that i am being given conflicting answers to the question of removing it from Sky customer helpline.   for example the lady i spoke to today had never heared of it as had people i had spoken to previous in that department.

I am now awaiting a response from Sky to emails they have sent to Broadcast in respect of removing this viewing distraction.  In that conversation i was told there is a fix to stop that number appearing.

I wont hold my breath though.

Any ideas Garry would be a great help.

many thanks.

Paul.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi PaulMK,

Thanks for replying to my post.

I am currently looking into getting one or things clarified for you, and once I have this done I will post up a response to your questions.

Thanks,

Getting There
PaulMK

Hi Garry.

Many thanks..

Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi PaulMK,

The information that we have received back is that we will firstly not be able to comment on the anti-fraud investigations unfortunately. Secondly the numbers will not be able to be removed specifically for your box.

I hope this clarifies the issue, however if you any further queries, then don't hesitate to ask us.

Regards.

Getting There
Gethin+Stevenson

Paulmk.

Go to google and search something like "watch Liverpool v everton" there will be a load of people with cameras pointed at their tv sets streaming what it shows onto the Internet. 

Now of sky do this they can see that stream, grab the number, and track down the moron doing it. Meaning its more fair for those of us who paid for it.

Also, it's tucked even further into the corner than the "skysports" watermark. Don't see anyone moaning about that!

Please. For all of us. Just leave it.