Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Longi

Sound Sync Issues on Sky + HD box

I've just connected my hi-fi amp to my sky+ HD box using the phono sockets on the back. Unfortunately the sound is completely out of sync with the sky box (sound is behind the image).  It seems to affect all channels and I can't have the sound on the TV at the same time as the sound coming out of the TV is in sync (HDMi cable being used).  Unfortunately the TV sound quality isn't that great because the flatscreen TV has such weak speakers. 

Please could someone advise what the solution is to get sound coming out of my hi-fi in sync.

Thanks

Longi

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Stantheman2k12

Re: Sound Sync Issues on Sky + HD box

Mine sometimes does this. I have to put the sky box on and the tv. then turn my amp on and there is no sync issue.

Have you also tried with an opticalcable.

If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Longi

Thanks for your response - I will try this out tonight when I return from work and failing that, I will source an optical cable at the weekend to see if that solves the issue.  I will let you know how I go in due course.

Cheers

Longi

Super User
Stantheman2k12

Ok thanks for the update.

Also for your info. Dolby digital only outputs through optical on +HD boxes :smileyhappy:

Thanks

If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Longi

Unfortunately that didn't work - whatever order you turn them on, the audio coming out of the hi-fi is behind the audio coming out the tv and therefore doesn't sync to the image properly.

Also, I can't use an optical cable because my amp is a stereo amp so not only does it not have the optical input but also it doesn't support dolby surround sound. 

So right now the only solution presenting itself is to get a new surround sound amp and optical cable to fix the problem because standard phono leads plugged from sky HD+ box into a stereo amp basically don't work.

Has anyone else had this issue and can advise what to do?

Occasional Visitor
jc1303

I got my sky+ HD box yesterday and have exactly the same problem.

I am not going to buy a new amp just for this but it is quite annoying. The speakers on my TV are crap so I quite often watch programmes with the sound through the hifi.

Hope someone can suggest a solution to this :smileyfrustrated: 

Staff (Retired)
GregorA

Hi jc1303,

I would like to take the time to welcome you to the Sky Forum:smileyhappy:

I can understand you are going to buy a new amp, which in the end may resolve the issue. Can I ask if there have been any improvements since you last posted on the Sky Forum?

Regards.

Longi

GregorA

I'm the person who started this forum discussion and it was me contemplating buying a new amp.  I haven't had any improvement since I last posted on the Sky forum and the problem is still unresolved.

I was hoping someone could categorically confirm if this is a standard problem and if there was anyway to solve it before I went to the expense of buying a new amp which in itself might not solve the problem.

Does anyone know if a surround sound amp and optical cable solves the problem of sound delay/sync on Sky+ HD?

Staff (Retired)
GregorA

Hi Longi,

Now we have been aware of certain sound and lip sync issues and you will see these on this thread. Your issue doesn't look like it completely ties in with the issues on that thread. 

I would suggest that you try a different optical cable first before buying a new amp? If that doesn't solve it, then the nest would be to try a new amp. It's very frustrating that none of the troubleshooting steps provided by the community has not resolved the issue.

Regards.

Occasional Visitor
Dave5469

I've just got my new Sky+HD box (Amstrad) last week and am seeing the same issues:

Sky connected to TV (Panasonic) directly via HDMI is fine although sound through TV speakers is not very good quality. Therefore I've connected the Sky box to a Samsung HTD5550 cinema system with an optical cable. Sound through the Samsung is always slightly behind the picture on all channels (it's easy to tell this by turning the TV volume back up and hearing an echo effect). ITV channels are particularly bad and just about unwatchable with surround sound. The settings for changing audio delay both on the Sky box and amp only allow for a greater delay so just make the situation worse.

As a test I connected up my old surround sound amp via phono leads (L-R) and I had the same problem so it's not the amp.

Will try the planner rebuild tonight but given the number of issues people seem to be having I'm not hopeful.

Visitor
Mark-Worth

I have recently returned to the HD service (to get F1 HD) and see that the lip sync issues are still prevalent.

I’m a curious engineer so the other morning I conducted the following test.

Setup:

HD Box OS R003.047.25.00P, Version 4F3006, EPG 47.0.16.1 London TV area

Sharp digital TV connected directly via HDMI, old analogue TV connected on RF TV Out

I was watching Discovery HD channel at ~ 7:30 on 14th March. The lip sync on both TVs was very bad (I guess ¼ to ½ a second) and both TV’s were about the same. I used CH+ and CH- on the remote to very quickly change channel and back. The lip sync was still wrong but the delay was significantly less.

On a separate occasion I was watching C4 HD. The lip sync was very bad. Interestingly during the adverts the lip sync was correct. When the main programme returned, the lip sync was again in error but with a different delay to what it had been.

My conclusions:

1) The lip sync delay has nothing to do with the digital transport mechanisms as it was also present on the analogue RF output.

2) The delay is variable. During a programme it varies fairly slowly but it jumps considerably if there is a break in the data stream (channel change or adverts). My suspicion is that the delay might be related to the time between selecting a data stream and the arrival of the first I- frame (full picture). This might explain why some channels are worse than others as they may be using longer I-frame intervals to minimise the bit rate.

I hope this feedback helps the sky engineers identify the faults as a potentially great product is being badly let down.

Longi

Mark

Thanks for your response to this string and with my limited technical knowledge, your test seems to perfectly identify exactly what the issue is.

I cannot believe such a fundamental flaw (marrying the visual with the audio) has not been addressed yet on a product (HD) which is now several years into its product lifecycle.

Can anyone from Sky's technical department first admit there is a problem and the secondly provide comment on these widely reported issues to tell us (your customers) what you are doing to fix it?

Community Coordinator
Anne-M

Hi All, 

For those who are experiencing lip sync, can you post your details on this thread for me so we can have one thread to monitor and make sure that we don't miss anyone out on developments of our investigations into this. 

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
dannyush

Why is there only the ability to delay more on the sky box and on the surround surround ? Honestly don't they product test ?
Occasional Visitor
rupertbear11

I am also suffering from this problem. My Cinema System working with my old SKY box fine, now got a SKY+HD box and the syncing has never been right, Sometimes when the SKY box has been off overnight it starts off OK but gets worsew the longer it's on. I also want to know why the SOUND SYNC option will only got one way when it seems everbodies problem seems to be the other way.