Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
sarahhh
Accepted Solution

Some channels on TV not showing up fullscreen

Some channels on my TV are not showing up fullscreen at all. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which are showing up full screen and which aren't. For example Disney XD is fullscreen and Disney Channel is in a box in the middle. I have tried all different combinations of 16:9 & 4:3 in the settings but still some seem to be only a small box in the middle.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is and how to fix it? THe box was installed today. This is a new issue not one that suddenly occurred.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Pete+H2K

Re: Some channels on TV not showing up fullscreen

Hi,

This is normal. Some programs are broadcasted in wide screen, some are broadcasted in standard aspect.

you can try to resolve this by configuring your stb to use either widescreen or 4:3 letterbox mode.

1. press services

2. press right to settings

3. press down twice to picture

4. press down to define RF1 and RF2 picture format.

5. define your TV HD capabilities as in resulution - automatic (my tv doesnt like this mode), 567, 720p or 1080i

6 press green to save changes.

then

7. Using your tv remote, select 16:9 aspect ratio (wide screen)

That should fix it for you.

Cheers

Pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
sarahhh

Hi,

We don't have a TV remote, just a universal one so cannot change the screen on our TV itself. I'm guessing the only way to fix this is to get a new TV or a new remote? Perhaps I can contact the company.

Pete+H2K

Hi,

whats the tv make / model ? did you try the other steps to ensure the output of the sky set top box is wide screen ?

Thanks

Pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Visitor
smdvd

hi i have same trouble but while watching sg1 for exzample on sky 1 its in widescreen but if i try to watch it on sky 1 hd the picture is in 4.3 so the original show is in widescreen but when on sky 1 hd it 4.3 its not right i pay extra money to watch in hd so if the programe was originaly made in widescreen it should be shown in widescreen on hd ! it happens with other programmes on the hd channels as well any ideas please help,

Super User
Mark39

I don't think you can blame Sky for this. Just because a programme is in HD doesn't necessarily mean it's in 16:9 format. I'm pretty sure that the HD channels always broadcast in 16:9 so if the programme was made in 4:3, black bars are added to make up the correct size. On the non HD Sky 1 channel, your TV is probably stretching the picture to fill the screen - giving you the impression that it's in widescreen.

A bit or research confirm that some of the SG1 series were indeed made in 4:3, rather than widescreen.

Occasional Visitor
martin2011

Hi, did you find a solution to the problem mate? im expereincin it now
Contributor
alfa

I have seen people say several times that the black bars on the side are "normal".

One program that does not look right is Star Trek Voyager on Sky Atlantic HD.  Whenever the camera does a close-up of Janeway's head, her forehead gets bigger and her hair expands quite out of proportion with the rest of her head.

Occasional Visitor
hells62

please can u suggest any other ways to show channels fullscreen as this dose not work on my tv

Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

If you are referring to old 4:3 SD programs transmitted on HD channels having black bars down the sides. The black bars are added by the broadcaster, and in some cases the content providers, before transmission. This is the standard way of doing things.

If you want to view these programs full screen you will need to use your TV's aspect ratio setting to stretch the image. If this does not work on the HD channel (most TVs don't) you will need to switch to the SD version. As the program is SD anyway you probably lose more picture quality by stretching to fill the screen than by watching the SD version.

Occasional Visitor
PipDenno

I'm afraid I disagree with the comment about not blaming Sky.  I have the same issue now with some programs, however I didn't have this issue a few days ago before I upgraded to a SkyHD+ box.

Super User
Annie+UK

PipDenno wrote:

I'm afraid I disagree with the comment about not blaming Sky.  I have the same issue now with some programs, however I didn't have this issue a few days ago before I upgraded to a SkyHD+ box.

If you want a distorted picture (Full screen) then watch the SD version of the channel and not the HD one, simples.

Annie.......... Xbox Gamertag: Annie UK  - Titanfall Gen3 -  Sky Help - YouTube channel

Sky customer since 1989 - βeta tester for: Xbox One, Windows Phone, Sky+HD etc... Hardware: DRX890 to LG 32LV550T, DRX895 to LG 42LV550T, Lumia 1520, Xbox One, Surface 3, iPad Occupation: Senior Analyst/Programmer

If someone helps you please click the thumbs up icon and/or accept as a solution, in the post options, where appropriate. Thanks.
Frequent Contributor (Platinum)
Mouse38

[ Edited ]

BBC1 & BBC2 SD are experiencing problems on Freesat and Sky at the moment. If you look at the other regional services of BBC1 & 2  up in the 900s they work OK. This time Sky upgrade can't be blamed as Freesat is also affected.

see http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1701080

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
These ideas are my own, I do not work for Sky. I have been a long term Sky User with extensive professional experience with AV equipment.
Sky DRX895 1TB, Sky Gnome, PlusNet Unlimited Fibre, Ethernet connected to box.
Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

PipDenno wrote:

That's because you are now watching the HD versions of the channels which have black bars added by the broadcaster.

Occasional Visitor
JTei

Well, if HD channels are causing us to have to revert back to 4:3, after all these years of aspect ratio evolution, and purchasing expensive wide screen televisions. They can stick it up theirs !! Give me my old box back.